Thread: Snow Shoes

Snow Shoes

I wasn't positive about the legitimacy of this company as the site is not put together very well but all went well with my purchase - I'll find out about the tires themselves when they get mounted in November.

Yes its early to think about snow tires - I have been looking on and off and haven't seen anything that really was under $205 or so each plus shipping on some. I think I made out pretty good! Reviews were decent for the tires. Problem is these aren't in stock anymore but if you keep checking you may snag a set if they come in. Good luck!

www.tires-easy.com

Products: Falken-Ohtsu HS-439 245/40 R18 97V BSW (Wi)
    Quantity: 4
    unit price before tax: $ 153.90
    -----------------------------------------
    Total before tax: $ 615.60
    shipping before tax: $ 40.86
    Total before tax: $ 656.46
    0 % Sales tax $ 0.00
    Total: $ 656.46

Next I need to decide on if I want 19" Euro RS6 reps (I just like the simple style) or an 18" - the 19" will need new tires and I have brand new Eagle GTs on it now (car came with them). Try to sell the 18s and buy the 19" set or just buy 18" wheels and put the GTs on those
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

My $.02 is probably only worth $.015, but having previously lived in MA for a couple years, and also having been a recent visitor to Boston, I would go with the 18". With 19" and low-profile in that area, odds are you'll have a bent rim in no time.

Thats what I really need to decide - especially since they will be reproductions (Hartmans)... I'll be on the lookout for a good looking, unbent, set of stock wheels too. Mine have a little rash (not too bad) but I like the look and would be just as happy.

Plus it leaves more $ for a tune!
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

FWIW, I run 19" hartmann S5 reps in summer and the OEM 18"s in winter. The hartmanns have held up great, 6llbs lighter than stock, and driving on crap roads for two years they have nary a bend. Some say they are "soft" but not in my experience.

I had my original wheels' rash sanded out and powder coated (dark grey) for $300 for all four. Powder coat is super durable and looks great...

I used that tire site to buy my Hancook icebears last winter. The company sure seemed shady, but tires showed up in great time and a great price. I have them on my stock 18" wheels. I use Hartmann 19' wheels for summer - the c6 rs6 version, and they have held up great IMO.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    I used that tire site to buy my Hancook icebears last winter. The company sure seemed shady, but tires showed up in great time and a great price. I have them on my stock 18" wheels. I use Hartmann 19' wheels for summer - the c6 rs6 version, and they have held up great IMO.
    Yea, I'm wondering now if they are so shady that they forgot to charge my CC... No charge yet! Good deal no matter what, hopefully someone that needs some winter tires manages to get them like I did.

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    FWIW, I run 19" hartmann S5 reps in summer and the OEM 18"s in winter. The hartmanns have held up great, 6llbs lighter than stock, and driving on crap roads for two years they have nary a bend. Some say they are "soft" but not in my experience.

I had my original wheels' rash sanded out and powder coated (dark grey) for $300 for all four. Powder coat is super durable and looks great...
    I've only heard good things about the Hartmans. I do have a concern with the switch to having them forged in China though. Hopefully through the EU assembly they are able to quality check them all though. I'd love to have 6# lighter on each corner!! Looks like I'm going to stick with stock though. For the price its REAL hard to argue. Especially considering I don't need tires. If I needed tires I'd be able to convince myself to get them.

Now I just convinced myself that I'll be getting a tune
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

Are these XL load rated? I think it would matter even with snow tires.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryindiana View Post
    Without looking at the actual tire I am 99% sure they are labeled as such. I looked around and didn't see any Falken HS439 Eurowinters that were 245/40/18 and weren't XL rated. The 97 load rating is 1609# per corner is more then enough for car, luggage and occupants.

I will double check the tires themselves tonight though and see if they actually do show an XL of them
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryindiana View Post
    I was in the basement last night and made a note to check - these are indeed XL rated, right on the tire itself! Certainly a good deal, hopefully someone else can snag some
    -Greg
    2003 RS6