Thread: Fan noise

Fan noise

I've noticed that my RS6 has some kind of fan noise in the engine compartment when the car is not running and with no key in the ignition. What is it? The hot weather package? Please advise..
    Thanks
    2003 Audi RS6 Avus Silver

Our cars have a after-run pump that circulates coolant after you shut her down after a hot run. I never timed it, but I think it will run 15 to 20 min after you turn your car off. I don't recall hearing any fans running during this cool down period.
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I've noticed that my RS6 has some kind of fan noise in the engine compartment when the car is not running and with no key in the ignition. What is it? The hot weather package? Please advise..
    Thanks
    um, Wade might be able to pipe in on this one.... thermostat
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

If u have the solar sun roof it's the circulation fan for the cabin. If the fan is loud and is coming from front of engine bay, then it might be your coolant temp sensor going. Vag for code. I have both, but my sensor is going, and the fan noise is pretty loud. I a, waiting on a part
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Mine occasionally runs for 10 to 15 minutes due to a sensor error I think. I had the temp sensor on the rear of the engine replaced a couple of years ago, then the long running fan came up! I just cleared the codes. I suspect a dirty wire harness connection like my Air Bag. I just cleaned that connector for the second time last month. THe last time I did it was about two years ago.

Those fans are supposed to run briefly. Mine were running at full speed for 10 minutes or more! Clear the vag-code and see what happens.

Mike

I don't have the solar package, no fan noise for me regarding the cabin fan.

I have run my car hard several times. It is rare to hear the afterrun pump going on my car. It has ran but only a few times since I've owned the car, and it's only on for a couple mins max.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Strange, my after-run cooling system pump runs after every hot engine cycle.
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrapped View Post
    If u have the solar sun roof it's the circulation fan for the cabin. If the fan is loud and is coming from front of engine bay, then it might be your coolant temp sensor going. Vag for code. I have both, but my sensor is going, and the fan noise is pretty loud. I a, waiting on a part
    ......Very good responses from everyone. Thank You! I have the solar sun roof, so it must be the circ fan for the cockpit. I plan on getting a diag tool, so will run VAG to check codes.

Rick
    2003 Audi RS6 Avus Silver

It hasn't struck me as strange; it's blindingly sunny and accordingly hot here in Nashville, and if I'm out and about during the day, the fan runs for a few minutes after parking. If you're really anal about it, pop the hood; it'll accelerate the cooling process.

It didn't seem odd to me because 25 years ago, my dad's (and soon handed down to me) 5000CS Turbo Quattro did the same exact thing. High boost engines generate a lot of heat under the hood; those big cooling vents in the hoods of highly tuned Japanese cars aren't there just for show.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

If its after you drove the car, its the aux fan and/or pump. Its normal. You want them to run. Only when you do not hear them is when you should worry.
    www.StrictlyEuros.com

Replaced the temp sensors 3x before they finally figured it was the thermostat. Fixed under Fidelity, and while they had the front end pulled apart I had them do the timing belt and related maintenance 25k early on my dime but saved a couple $$$.

W>
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue - mods? Whatever Ben does....