Thread: Best all seasons in 19"

Best all seasons in 19"

Ok, so I just bought a set of HRE M40s (can't tell you how excited i am) for summer use and want to keep my oem RS4 wheels for winter, but don't want to put on some tires that will burn through if they hit a hot day.

What do you all like?

I'm looking at:
    Continental ExtremeContact DWS
    General G-MAX AS-03
    Yokohama AVID ENVigor

anything else I'm missing? I'd love to have decent tread ware...

2003 RS6 Avus - MTM Cat Back - HRE M40s - Sway - Kenwood DNX 9960

I guess I have always believed that an all season tire = a No season tire.

Your sig says Connecticut. Why not go the Blizzak route? You certainly get enough snow to justify it; more than I do in Indiana, for sure. If you put the Blizzaks on Nov. 1, and take them off on March 20, I don't think you will see enough warm days to matter. It is the price you pay to have decent traction in snow. All seasons aren't worth much in anything more than an inch or two of snow, and for sleet or anything icy, forget about it. You're already 2/3rds of the way there; you have the extra set of wheels, which is usually the big dollar expense for dedicated winter tires.

Now, I haven't looked for 19 inch Blizzaks; I run the stock 18s for winter. That could be an issue, I suppose.

Good luck with your search.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

I run Wintersport M3 3D on my 19" rims. Two winters on them already, and the tire shop said they are still in great shape. I thought I had to replace them.
    Great winter tires with or without snow.

I guess I would go with the DWS. For AS, I've heard great things about them.

That said, I agree with Greg about getting more of a winter tire. I use Hankook Icebear's for my OEM winter wheels and love them in the snow. So much control its hard to believe. I ended up having to run them until mid may this year (long story) and didn't notice any big wear issues. Obvioously that's not ideal for them, but I wouldn't be scared of it.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

well, if someone could find 19" snows in the low $200 range i'm game....

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    I guess I would go with the DWS. For AS, I've heard great things about them.

That said, I agree with Greg about getting more of a winter tire. I use Hankook Icebear's for my OEM winter wheels and love them in the snow. So much control its hard to believe. I ended up having to run them until mid may this year (long story) and didn't notice any big wear issues. Obvioously that's not ideal for them, but I wouldn't be scared of it.

another nod for DWS

i have them in 19s and they are excellent
    2003 RS6 - forsale

Michelin MXV4s IMO....great tires for quattro cars. No problem this past winter (record snow for CT) and they even took us up Mt Washington, NH in January.

Quiet riding, reasonably priced and my last set lasted almost 60K miles on the allroad.

I do have Blizzaks on the OE RS6 rims...nice set-up too but overkill for CT; the few times they came in handy didn't outweigh the other times where the soft outer winter tread was just being worn away on regular road. If you go to snow country alot then a dedicated true winter set-up would be smart; but for your coastal Greenwich area...not so much I think..
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Definately the Conti DWS. You WONT be dissappointed!!

I have the Conti DWS and they are great in the snow. I wouldn't drive them hard on a track, but then I probably wouldn't drive any A/S tire on a track.

I pulled the trigger on some 19" blizzaks!

Ending up with the 19 oem RS4s with blizzaks as my winter and these new HRAs with PS2s for the rest of the year

I've got a set of 18" OEM rs6 wheels and 19" oem TT wheels (rs4 style, like the ones I have on mine) - if anyone is interested (pm me)

Conti DWS
    www.StrictlyEuros.com

Can you guys get vredestein ultrac sessanta over there? a few of us run these in Blighty with good results summer and winter. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vr...c-Sessanta.htm

You won't be disappointed. You'll even look forward to finding snow to drive on.
    Quote Originally Posted by pierson View Post
    I pulled the trigger on some 19" blizzaks!

Ending up with the 19 oem RS4s with blizzaks as my winter and these new HRAs with PS2s for the rest of the year

I've got a set of 18" OEM rs6 wheels and 19" oem TT wheels (rs4 style, like the ones I have on mine) - if anyone is interested (pm me)
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Good choice. Always been a big believer in dedicated winter tires if you're in the snow belt. Who wants an "all-season" tire that tries to do everything, but does nothing excellently?

On the total flip side of my previous statement, I would also add that the idea that winter tires will disintegrate or something if you drive them in warmer weather is totally overstated. Back in the day I drove a POS bmw for an entire summer on blizzaks... yeah that's dumb, but I was poor at the time. They handled it fine.

Last winter I put 225mm Michelin Ice X2's on the beast and it was amazing... so much traction. Of course, don't get overconfident, but it's quite amusing to pull on all the big SUV and pickup drivers who act like they own the road when it snows

Its not much of a discount but its better than nothing. I do have a wholesale tirerack account so if anyone needs anything let me know and i can have them shipped right to you. Obviously if the price is good for you plus whatever they charge for shipping.
    they call me Tank