Thread: Oil grade feedback please ..

Oil grade feedback please ..

Just had oil changed at dealer, and the part code for the oil is G-052-167-M2 ... I am used to seeing the same part code but ending A2. I was assured by the dealer that the oil meets 505-01 specs. Does anyone know if this is the case - I don't want to cruise around with the wrong grade in the beast.

TIA
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Shows up as Castrol edge 5w-40 Diesel oil 505.01 spec.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Quote Originally Posted by marklar182 View Post
    Shows up as Castrol edge 5w-40 Diesel oil 505.01 spec.
    Hmm .. what does the diesel reference imply - specifically designated as oil for diesel engines, and not for gasoline engines? I.e., is this oil ok for our cars, or not?
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

I would say no problem on the oil. Many Diesel engines contain more ZDDP than their gasoline counterparts and that is probably why it also meets 505.1 spec as many of the new oils don't do as good in the anti-wear department to meet the 505.1 spec. Funny how over the last 100 years our motor oils have improved until the EPA's decision a couple of years ago to reduce the ZDDP in our oils to help Catalytic converters last a bit longer even though the engines, which are a hell of a lot more expensive than the Cats, will be wearing out quicker. There are many good Diesel engine oils as well as Motorcycle oils that have the extra wear additives which the EPA did not bother to hassle with yet due to their lower volumes. The newer Diesel oils are not as good as the oils a couple of years ago for Diesels as the Calcium (acid neutralizer) was reduced but this has no effect on our gasoline needs. Also, you may read that due to the reductions of ZDDP, Molybdenum has been increased to offset the reduction of ZDDP but if you read in depth you will find that the half life of Moly is just about half that of the ZDDP so many of the better Synthetic oils that were suppose to be good for up to 15K (many bragged about longer intervals but most experts say hogwash), are now only good to 6K ~ 10K. Porsche even had a ridiculous oil change interval for the Cayenne's, 10K for the first change and 20K thereafter. They have had numerous engine failures and are now facing a class action lawsuit.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    Hmm .. what does the diesel reference imply - specifically designated as oil for diesel engines, and not for gasoline engines? I.e., is this oil ok for our cars, or not?

I believe its has a diesel spec because of its high temperature handling capability. But the above are factory spec's for our Cosworth Motors.........
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    The G052167A2 (TXT) is also a recommended Diesel oil FYI.

Yes, the M2 oil is fine for the RS6. It is a severe duty oil that is probably phasing out the A2 oil.

I still stick to the G052167A2 as it is still available, and thats what the manual recommends
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Thanks very much for the input - much appreciated as always.
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

im still in doubt which oil to choose, Redline 5w40 or Amsoil 5w40...
    ive heard redline is ester based....? whatever that means....
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

or FUCHS TITAN RACE PRO S 5W40...
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

I'm running Amsoil euro blend 5w-40. I ran it in both my b5 s4's prior. Works great.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Dead bang on target here. Let me add by saying this. Think about the added engine stress the diesel platform puts on all components. Do you know how much compression a diesel runs? Stress stress stress on all the load bearing components. As for the newer diesel oils getting crappy? Yep, again right on target. Rotella Shell used to be the gold standard for diesel oil now the stuff is crap. If you do alittle research Valvoline (owned by Cummins) makes cheap diesel oil (delo 400) and top grade diesel oil (premium blue Cummins approved). Guess which oil is sold in Walmart and guess which oil is used in every Cummins service facility in the country?

I use the Cummins premium blue in my motorhome and always have 10 gallons on hand. I also use the Cummins oil on my supercharged LX470 and Supra turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I would say no problem on the oil. Many Diesel engines contain more ZDDP than their gasoline counterparts and that is probably why it also meets 505.1 spec as many of the new oils don't do as good in the anti-wear department to meet the 505.1 spec. Funny how over the last 100 years our motor oils have improved until the EPA's decision a couple of years ago to reduce the ZDDP in our oils to help Catalytic converters last a bit longer even though the engines, which are a hell of a lot more expensive than the Cats, will be wearing out quicker. There are many good Diesel engine oils as well as Motorcycle oils that have the extra wear additives which the EPA did not bother to hassle with yet due to their lower volumes. The newer Diesel oils are not as good as the oils a couple of years ago for Diesels as the Calcium (acid neutralizer) was reduced but this has no effect on our gasoline needs. Also, you may read that due to the reductions of ZDDP, Molybdenum has been increased to offset the reduction of ZDDP but if you read in depth you will find that the half life of Moly is just about half that of the ZDDP so many of the better Synthetic oils that were suppose to be good for up to 15K (many bragged about longer intervals but most experts say hogwash), are now only good to 6K ~ 10K. Porsche even had a ridiculous oil change interval for the Cayenne's, 10K for the first change and 20K thereafter. They have had numerous engine failures and are now facing a class action lawsuit.

Go to both the Amsoil & Redline websites and compare copies of their product data sheets then make your own conclusions. I am a Redline oil user, motor oil, gear oil, ATF, Water Wetter, but I would suggest to read & compare their product data sheets to make a decision.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA