Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: MTM ECU tune?

You guys are awesome. Should I do the N75 too or not worry about that?

I would say it can't hurt, but it can. If you do, be aware that the inlet seals die a little every time you remove that air box.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

FYI I verified with the dealership part # 077133517C for the N80. They want $146 and it looks like ECS has it for $76.

This is the same part. Order this one ASAP, cause I just check genuine and they want 99 now for this.

Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

The only code it's thrown is evap small leak detected.

Yep. Had exact same thing. Replaced N80 and no more CEL.

It seems that about every 2-3 weeks my car goes into a no boost mode. Literally I turn it on one day and the boost is completely gone. If I unplug the ECU and plug it back in we're back in action 100% with the MTM tune.

Known issue with early built MTM chips. Mine was sent back to MTM for a revision, but still not 100%. I still have to "reboot" once in a while. How old is your chip? I though MTM resolved this problem with later builds.
    2003 RS6 MTM, RNS-E, 2007 Q7 and 1999 A4

My RS6 was used so no way to know how old the MTM chip is/was. I did send the ECU and TCU to hoppen in aug 2011 to look at and verify. Good to know it is a known issue. We'll see if the N80 replacement makes the need to do a reboot much less frequent. Is the N80 replacement as simple as pulling off two hose clamps, removing the old unit, installing the new one and tightening up the clamps again?

My RS6 was used so no way to know how old the MTM chip is/was.
    You are likely in exactly same boat as I am.

Is the N80 replacement as simple...
    Yes. About the clamps, however... Originals are crimp type. Do you have the very special tool to take them off? or else you have to destroy them - carefully! - to remove them. Or have you lacked out and your vaccuum hoses were replaced already?
    2003 RS6 MTM, RNS-E, 2007 Q7 and 1999 A4

OK guys...

I've installed my chip (on the daughterboard). After switching the ingnition now I have the car icon that shows which door are actually open (it was not present before) so I presume that chip is somehow OK...

After switching on the ignition right after a few seconds the cooling fan goes jet-mode and really runs 100% like crazy (with engine off).

Engine won't start. No go.

Does it mean that I have to resolder back the old chip ? Or is there any magic adaptation mode that is needed after putting new flash into the ECU ?

Is this the ECU or TCU chip?
    Custom VAG Tuning on RS6's - Email rich at vipertuning.com for details

Just replaced the N80 and had the same question. I was able to just pry open the crimp a bit and slip off the hoses, and after replacing, crimp again with needle nose pliers. I am not one for much in the way of DIY work, but this seemed too simple to farm out. I doubt this will cause a problem but am certainly open to hear from the experts on this forum. Ordered from ECS as well.

Quote Originally Posted by viperbl View Post
    Is this the ECU or TCU chip?
    ECU chip

Either a bad chip or poor installation.

Probably the later, SMD pads are very difficult, and i urge others to leave it to the pros!

Try putting downward pressure on the daughterboard while reheating the solder pads with a fine tip iron.

Also, make sure you have the board oriented properly (not backwards).
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Highly recommended to let Mike at Hoppen do the soldering, I know all too well....
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com