Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best ways to lighten the beast?

Lightbulb Best ways to lighten the beast?

Bottom line, its all about power-weight ratio. Shaving weight from lighter wheels and front seats should at least net 100-150 lbs. On that note, have you guys done?

front seats? i'm new at this. what seats do you get?
    2003 RS6 Avus - MTM Cat Back - HRE M40s - Sway - Kenwood DNX 9960

google MTM clubsport
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

remove your spare tire. weighs 46 lbs.
    recaro sportline seats will run you about 1600/each for the front, don't remember how much lighter they are, but they are the same style seats as what came in the euro version. and they have heating AND cooling...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

oh, and lightweight wheel/tire combo and go 6 speed.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    remove your spare tire. weighs 46 lbs.
    recaro sportline seats will run you about 1600/each for the front, don't remember how much lighter they are, but they are the same style seats as what came in the euro version. and they have heating AND cooling...
    Mine are heated but not cooled (never seen cooled seats in a c5), they have electric adjustment and lumbar motors can't be much lighter than the US spec ones surely. My Avant has all the options available in the UK and weighs nearly 2000kgs. Do you guys in the US get solar sunroof and twin pane glass as an option? We don't get a spare wheel either.

I know, its an updated design. Would likely require some modifications to the harness. I almost pulled the trigger on a set right before i bought my beast.

Sorry, its the style "top line" i was thinking of

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/en/...le.html#c27595

We got the Solar sunroof with the electric rear sunshade and manual rear sunshades as an option but no dual pane windows here, not until the C6. A lightweight Odyssey battery (PC925T) will save another 39lbs and as mentioned, Forged wheels (my BBS RS-GT's in 19" are 15lbs per wheel lighter than the stock 18" wheels), spare tire, dump the extra aux radiators and plumbing. The battery and spare tire take weight off the back of the car which is where we least need to remove weight but I think most would agree any removal is better than nothing, at least in a way that doesn't detract from the original looks or design too much. Wheels and Radiators probably help the most (as far as handling goes) but Forged Wheels are a chunk o money.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I agree with the lightweight wheels, but you also have to figure in the added weight of 19 inch tires. Depending on brand, lets say you gain 5 lbs with 19 inch tire. That is still 40lbs lost overall.

hahn, is that lightweight battery still the same size?

The battery is definitely smaller. It was discussed before as there were a couple of others using it. The battery needs to be left on a battery tender if the car sits more than a couple of weeks as the reserve capacity isn't as large as the huge battery that we carry. I use the stock mount, I just bent the small hold down tab in a vice to about a 30'-40' angle. As for the tire size weights, a search of Tire rack specs & manufacturers specs in 255/ 40-18 size in Michelin PS2 & the Dunlop Sport Maxx's that I am using to the 255/35-19 tires for the 19" wheels in stock size reveal the same or only 1lb increase. Tire rack says that even though you go down to a shorter sidewall and keep the same width (you would think you would get lighter in going up) that the tires weight the same or only slightly more because they tend to have more Steel cords in the sidewall than the taller sidewall sizes. So a 0 to 4lb gain is offset by a loss of 60lbs on the wheels.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Was looking around the interwebs today and found this sunroof delete...

http://www.ringer-racing.com/product...&categoryId=29

Like this...what a stunning car, colour, roof etc.

Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

Beautiful car.....
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Love that RS6!
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by bmlee007 View Post
    Was looking around the interwebs today and found this sunroof delete...

http://www.ringer-racing.com/product...&categoryId=29
    Very cool! Never saw that before!
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

The total carbon roof is pretty sweet. Any info on weight savings and cost?