Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best ways to lighten the beast?

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I've been using the Odyssey in my RS6 for about 3 years now and in my street/track 911 for about the same. Before I purchased a couple of the Battery Tender Juniors I had to jump start my 911 a couple of times. I guess I may have broken a rule that I didn't know of, Ooops. Me and the battery are still going fine but I may check Odyssey's website to be sure. As I mentioned in the other threads the 925T is fine for the RS6 but it doesn't have as much reserve capacity of the stock battery but cranks just fine. Since it doesn't have the reserve capacity and I sometimes let my RS6 for up to two weeks or so when I travel I leave it on the battery tender junior to keep it fully charged and ready to go when I get back. Without a parasitic drain the Odyssey batteries have a long shelf life with a charge but you would have to disconnect your battery to keep that charge.
    This is the key: It doesn't have the reserve capacity. It "officially" is not good to jump these batteries, but it obviously worked in your case.
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Just going to update this. After 10 years, yes 10, my battery is finally not holding a good charge after a few days. Impressive for such a small battery I'd say, ordering another now.

https://www.odysseybatteries.com/pc925t.htm
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

lswing, before you go that route you might consider a Lithium. I'm now using Antigravity Lithium batteries in my '74 911 w/3.6ltr motor (3lbs), '87 944 Turbo (4lbs), RS5 (15.5lbs), RS6 (5.75lbs). They are definitely more expensive but you get an even lighter battery but with more cranking amps and reserve capacity compared to the Odyssey 925t. The RS5 is using a T6 with and the RS6 I'm using an ATX-30 which is 20lbs less than the 925t and has more cranking amps. You look at the square plastic box and pick it up and it almost feels like it's empty. The T6 is a much bigger battery, it has about the same cranking amps and Reserve capacity as the OEM battery but only weights 15.5lbs. Due to the RS5's more advanced electronics and battery monitoring it would give strange faults and over voltage spikes when I tried to use the smaller ATX-30. The battery started the car fine but while operating it would give problems. The Alternator/battery management is controlled to do weird things, when coasting it will slightly overcharge the battery and then when on full throttle it will only trickle charge and use off the battery. They call it regeneration, nothing to do with regenerative braking, I think all of the newer Audi's have it now.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Hahn did You install a battery cut off switch ? Sudggest it as asafety items, Li Batteries can get hot !
    Look at the battery coming up from ZAF energy systems, NiXnc, fully recycable, does not get hot, works at low temperatures and hgih
    without effect. Does not loose charge for very long time, high density versus Lead acid, no fluids !
    Used currrently for Nucl. Subs, Humvee's, SAC rocket silos, Data storage......
    Cheers,
    Ivan

I did not, batteries from Antigravity are Lithium Polymer LIPO3 and not Lithium Ion. LIPO batteries can still have issues similar to Lithium Ion but are much more rugged. All of the Lithium horror stories you here about are pretty much all from Lithium Ion. Plus the fact that the Automotove line that Antigravity uses have an integral controller to manage the batteries and shut them down if needed. The really nice feature of this (they call it "Restart") is that when your battery gets low from a parasitic drain (sitting for a while, left the dome light on, etc...) the battery will shut off and keep enough power to start your vehicle. You either just press the Restart button on your battery or if you have the Bluetooth controller you can do it from your Bluetooth app on your Android or Iphone.
    Roy, WA

Hi Hahn,
    definitely and improvement versus Li Ion. LiPo's are used a lot also in model aircraft etc.
    Just the toxicity and environmental footprint as significant, incl. not suitable for recycling
    as battery grade material. How does it perform in the cold/heat ? Do You loose overall capacity
    at each recharge cycle ?

So far no loss in capacity during recharge, they claim longer life then Lead/Acid so we'll see. Antigravity has been around with theirs an probably one of the most reputable companies. The T6 model I put in my RS5 has greater capacity than OEM and it's like 15.75lbs. The smaller ATX30 at 5.5lbs is quite a bit less than the OEM stocker but a little more reserve capacity than the Odyssey 925t. The 925t couldn't sit for more than about a week without sticking it on a Battery Tender but the ATX30 seems to be fine at a week. If it ends up being too small I'll spend the extra money and throw the larger T6 model in like I have the in the RS5. With the T6 you get a Bluetooth capable battery and you just download Antigravity's Bluetooh app to your phone. It will tell you normal battery charge plus you can do a Cranking test and a Charging test with it. Both batteries have the Reserve "Restart" feature so it never drains down enough to leave you stranded. So obviously some cool microeletctronics involved, but yes, you pay for it as they are not cheap.
    Roy, WA

Hi Hahn,
    Thanks great info. We are getting inquiries from car manufacturers. Apparently the Start-Stop features are causing Lead Acid batteries
    problems, they have significantly shorter life than normal for that application.
    Ours have passed Navy and Data centre Float test (3 Year tests !).

Do you work for ZAFSYS? Do they retail batteries? I notice you mentioned HMMWV's, the latest contract for our are for Optima's (Were a good battery Lead/Acid battery 15yrs ago but not since they started manufacturing them in Mexico), Dual batteries mounted in series since the Mil. HMMWV's use a 24v electrical system. The only reason they last ok in the HMMWV application is there is almost no parasitic drain in most versions with engines off.
    Roy, WA

Hi Hahn,
    I am a shareholder and to certain extent adivsor in business development for them. There is a Canadian Content (Mining) also.
    We can go up to 48 V in a single battery without problems. At the moment we have only production capacity for the military contracts.
    If You are interested we can talk more privately (Ivan_Lessner@telus.net).
    Cheers

Thanks for all the detailed info. Looking into my options here!

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    lswing, before you go that route you might consider a Lithium. I'm now using Antigravity Lithium batteries in my '74 911 w/3.6ltr motor (3lbs), '87 944 Turbo (4lbs), RS5 (15.5lbs), RS6 (5.75lbs). They are definitely more expensive but you get an even lighter battery but with more cranking amps and reserve capacity compared to the Odyssey 925t. The RS5 is using a T6 with and the RS6 I'm using an ATX-30 which is 20lbs less than the 925t and has more cranking amps. You look at the square plastic box and pick it up and it almost feels like it's empty. The T6 is a much bigger battery, it has about the same cranking amps and Reserve capacity as the OEM battery but only weights 15.5lbs. Due to the RS5's more advanced electronics and battery monitoring it would give strange faults and over voltage spikes when I tried to use the smaller ATX-30. The battery started the car fine but while operating it would give problems. The Alternator/battery management is controlled to do weird things, when coasting it will slightly overcharge the battery and then when on full throttle it will only trickle charge and use off the battery. They call it regeneration, nothing to do with regenerative braking, I think all of the newer Audi's have it now.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com