Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Manifold Question

Exhaust Manifold Question

Hello Brain Trust:

The car lost all boost on passenger side again. The techs are revisiting the piece of metal that clogged in the turbo originally. A theory being floated is that maybe the exhaust manifold is coming apart. Does anyone have pics of the inside of our exhaust manifold, or have one off that they can shoot some pics with a borescope?

The metal piece that lodged in the original turbo has very little magnetism. However; speculation is it may have lost magnetism due to the high heat that runs through it. We are wondering if the manifold may be the source of the original piece of metal, and perhaps another piece has come off into the turbo again. They borescoped the valves and it all looks good. The motor sounds very good at idle and the techs doubt the metal ran through the engine. The techs were also very impressed with how clean the engine internals look and are very confident the engine is good.

Have any of you all experienced or know of internal parts of the manifold disintegrating? The techs would also like to know if welds could have come apart? It looks like the engine may be coming out again- ouch.

Any thoughts/comments? TIA guys!

Here is the pic of the metal piece that lodged in the original turbo that started the transplant.

210K miles rolled

Mine are off the car and I had them Ceramic coated but I won't be home until 1 August plus or minus a day. I have a video borescope but mine doesn't record. I can, and was planning to anyways, the inside just to see what they look like and let you know if I see anything that looks like it could be the culprit if you can wait.
    P.S. The ceramic coating looks great, too bad the exhaust manifolds really can't be seen hiding down under the engine banks.
    www.performancecoatings.com
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Thanks Hahn and will be appreciated if we are still in limbo at that point. Be safe on your travels..
    210K miles rolled

Man Randy u have the patience of a saint! I would be tearing my hair out.....good luck and Godspeed
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

I can take pictures on my extra set.

But I do not own a video scope to play with to tell you.

You have hair left?

And yes, this could happen. The exhaust manifolds are glowing every time you place the right foot to the floor which in your case is every left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrapped View Post
    Man Randy u have the patience of a saint! I would be tearing my hair out.....good luck and Godspeed

Possible I suppose, but seems unlikely - cast iron may crack, but usually does not disintegrate like that. If the part was magnetized before then high heat can cause it to lose that, but it wont change the property of the base material. Welds on the other hand can definitely come apart and flake bits. That would be easy to see if the looked at the manifolds with a borescope.

but based on your experience with this dealer I am more thinking along the lines that they introduced some other contamination when they pulled things apart.

Quote Originally Posted by s42ski View Post
    Possible I suppose, but seems unlikely - cast iron may crack, but usually does not disintegrate like that. If the part was magnetized before then high heat can cause it to lose that, but it wont change the property of the base material. Welds on the other hand can definitely come apart and flake bits. That would be easy to see if the looked at the manifolds with a borescope.

but based on your experience with this dealer I am more thinking along the lines that they introduced some other contamination when they pulled things apart.
    OEM 4.2t manifolds and 2.7t manifolds are a stamped stainless items not cast

OK - so that rules out the base material - also makes it less likely that the stainless is coming apart - also stainless is not magnetic. so either weld material, exhaust manifold or....

Not all Stainless materials are non-magnetic. Depends on what type of Stainless.
    Roy, WA

Update- Mystery metal source found. The exhaust manifold was the source...

It should look more like this one...

210K miles rolled

holy crap!!!!, ruh roh....didnt someone have a link to a header fabricator in Canada?? how many other flawed manifolds out there....
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Wowza. That is really disturbing. Randy, now I can count on this keeping me up at night if my teething daughter doesn't. Thanks.

Really great you found the cause. It's like the metal is just corroding and falling apart. Congrats on the discovery. At least you can sleep well tonight!
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Anyone thing it may have been from overheating the manifold? High EGT's? Or just a manufacturing defect?
    Roy, WA

High egt's should probably throw codes. My best guess is simply 150k miles, a hot APR tune and some track time.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Ho-lee-sheet.

Can you repair them? What do the exteriors look like?

If you need another set, I've got some low mileage ones.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

I've never had any code from the EGT. I assume time and heat just got the best of it. It is disappointing that this can blow apart and cause so much damage/cost to repair (engine pull, 2 turbos, 2 manifolds). Seems like engineering could come up with a way to for this not to happen- or at the very least some sort of trap to capture the metal so it doesn't blow through the turbo ripping it apart.
    210K miles rolled

I don't think there is a way to trap it considering the temperatures, pressures and sheer amount of flow on the turbine side of the turbo. I think engineering has done a good job to prevent this from happening as I've never seen this happen before! Just plain unlucky there, remember that you were also operating it outside of design specs.
    03 RS6 Daytona Avant w/ cognac interior. Precat delete, Supersprint exhaust, FK Koni coilovers, Wagner ICs, MRC'd 546 bhp.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jcviggen1