Thread: MTM shift chip or other?....

MTM shift chip or other?....

If you've seen my post the last few days, my mechanic broke my TCU putting in an MTM chip, no true evidence of the chip being bad or what. Well I've got an old stock TCU going in on Monday, but am probably going to buy another used TCU and send it off to get the shift chip put in. So.......

Do I send the board to Hoppen and give it another shot with them putting the chip in? Do I go another direction? I'll call Hoppen on Monday and see if they want to help me with my predicament. For all we know my mechanic messed up, although he's built many systems from scratch, or the chip was DOA.

Always heard good things about Hoppen, but since I'm dropping another $500 after the $500 I just spent Friday (actually split the cost of the board with my mech, $250 each) figured I might as well try and get some more input.

PS; The RS6 is just awesome! I just want to tighten those shifts up a bit and it will be golden!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I really doubt the chip was the issue at all. I know a couple other guys have had to send their TCU back to Hoppen, but I guaranty it was a simple solder joint issue in these cases.

Mike can verify the chip when he burns it, that is a simple process. He can't test the TCU for full functionality though after the chip replacement. Even the best have their bad days! If I was in Mikes shoes on this one, you took the risk to install so ..........

I would not let is scare you from going through with the MTM TCU chip.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

I read a bit of the other thread you had on this. What exactly broke? Don't know how you can physically break the board, unless something smashes it. If the chip isn't soldered in right you would likely just see PRNDS all lit up in the cluster. Resolder and it should be fixed. I think the mech thinks he's pretty lucky to only have to dump 250 on his own mistake. I had an APR tcu in before the MTM and I think the MTM is better IMO. Can't go wrong for about 150 bucks
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Mine gave me a "Press Clutch Pedal to Start Engine" on the DIS when it was not soldered properly.

2nd on the MTM, mine had GIAC originally and the MTM is better by leaps and bounds.

Go with Hoppen...I shipped it overnight, they did their thing, and I had it next day. They even called me, let me know it went in without issue and were shipping it back and provided tracking number. I was very happy with their service and product.
    210K miles rolled

Ive got a Viper Tuning one, he did it for free....!!!
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

I think I will still go with MTM, just going to make sure to send them a board this time. Mech said when he plugged the TCU back in, the shift area on the dash was blank, nothing, sounds like the TCU wasn't connected properly almost. Tough to say, but odd that nothing displayed. Maybe he shorted or torched the TCU when putting the chip in? Anyhow he said when trying to remove the chip and put the stock back in he pulled or melted one of the areas where the chip prongs attach, something along those lines. I'll see if I can send the chip and broken board to Hoppen and have them install in a new board. I assume they can test the chip somehow. Should have in the first place, lesson learned eh? Yep, I'm lucky to find a board for $500, and he's lucky we're friends so I'm covering half of it, I probably owe him plenty for all the extra hours of work done anyhow...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Sounds like one of the pads got lifted from the circuit board, you should be able to get it fixed by an electronics expert cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    I think I will still go with MTM, just going to make sure to send them a board this time. Mech said when he plugged the TCU back in, the shift area on the dash was blank, nothing, sounds like the TCU wasn't connected properly almost. Tough to say, but odd that nothing displayed. Maybe he shorted or torched the TCU when putting the chip in? Anyhow he said when trying to remove the chip and put the stock back in he pulled or melted one of the areas where the chip prongs attach, something along those lines. I'll see if I can send the chip and broken board to Hoppen and have them install in a new board. I assume they can test the chip somehow. Should have in the first place, lesson learned eh? Yep, I'm lucky to find a board for $500, and he's lucky we're friends so I'm covering half of it, I probably owe him plenty for all the extra hours of work done anyhow...
    Mike@Hoppen can "test" the EEPROM after writing to it. It just verifies the write. Can't bench test a tcu though. That's what your car us for Mike is an amazing solderer though, and if anyone has ever had a bad tcu come back, it likely wasn't him soldering.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Sounds good. And yes, I can't believe I didn't think of taking the board to an electronics shop. I'll try and do that next week and see if they can fix it and verify the solder on the mtm chip being in place. Meanwhile, used stock board goes back in Monday....tired of driving the old buick beater.....

I upgraded to the euro charged ECU and the MTM TCU. and BND Aces IV
    Would start the car and the dash gear selector indicator would be red background and black lettering, and feel like and old style worn clutch slipping. No CEL.
    Would re start the car and dash black background and red letters and trans would feel right.
    This morning, took three re starts to get dash and trans right and CEL came on and stayed on.
    Yes Dave I do not have a OBD II reader yet and do not want to take into Audi just yet.
    Nothing like a voided Fidelity Platinum warranty.
    Has anyone else experienced this? bad solder?
    I would start a new thread if I only knew how, no "NEW THREAD" button I can see
    Mugello RS6,sound enhancing exhaust,solar sunroof,Platinum Coverage,Eurocharged ECU,MTM TCU ,TC, PSS9, Hotchkis front and rear,EBC Reds, Sportec vents,ACES IV,Fuel tank replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by AUDI5000CSTQ View Post
    ...I would start a new thread if I only knew how, no "NEW THREAD" button I can see
    Uhh- You should have one of these buttons (circled in red) to start a new thread...

210K miles rolled

I've been searching for that....

Yeah!!- I contributed a helpful post. That brings my total helpful tally to......(tick, tick, tick,..) to one - Well- I gotta start somewhere.
    210K miles rolled

Good news is.....got the stock ECU board back in and running! Also, Mike from Hoppen was real good to talk with and might be able to fix my broken board with the MTM chip. I'll send it off to him and know in a week or so, keep you posted.

That sounds great and congrats on getting back in your beast!
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by AUDI5000CSTQ View Post
    I upgraded to the euro charged ECU and the MTM TCU. and BND Aces IV
    Would start the car and the dash gear selector indicator would be red background and black lettering, and feel like and old style worn clutch slipping. No CEL.
    Would re start the car and dash black background and red letters and trans would feel right.
    This morning, took three re starts to get dash and trans right and CEL came on and stayed on.
    Yes Dave I do not have a OBD II reader yet and do not want to take into Audi just yet.
    Nothing like a voided Fidelity Platinum warranty.
    Has anyone else experienced this? bad solder?
    I would start a new thread if I only knew how, no "NEW THREAD" button I can see
    Did you solder in the TCU chip yourself?

No Hoppen did all the work, no soldering on this end.
    Will take it to my Indy and pull the codes, than call Mike at Hoppen.
    Maxrs6, so you have to go back to the main page, thanks, found it.
    Mugello RS6,sound enhancing exhaust,solar sunroof,Platinum Coverage,Eurocharged ECU,MTM TCU ,TC, PSS9, Hotchkis front and rear,EBC Reds, Sportec vents,ACES IV,Fuel tank replaced.