Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok, what did they do...

ok, what did they do...

Took my car in for major service (plugs, filters) to a new indy shop. Was running perfectly. Pick it up last night and misfiring like crazy with CEL on after a couple of miles. VAG COM shows multiple cylinders misfiring, 1, 4, 8, 2 identified, and variable too rich/too lean codes. My son took it back to the shop and they claim also coolant sensor code is tripped, and want to start by replacing that. My first experience with this shop which was highly rated on local chapter forums and Yelp. Any thoughts as to what in the heck happened? There goes my wine country run tomorrow...

Sounds like a bad coolant temp sensor (G62) to me....probably just a coincidence. Lean codes would suggest that the MAF sensors may not be properly seated though.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

The G62 sensor has 4 pins. 2 pins send signal to the instrument cluster, the other 2 to the ecu. When the sensor fails, (usually on the ecu side) the ecu doesn't get proper coolant temp readings and cannot provide proper fuel trims, which causes lean misfires, especially after cold starts or when the engine isn't fully warmed up. Very common VAG component failure, and luckily only about a $16 part. Sounds like the culprit.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

That's where we'll start! Thanks for the quick response, will let you know...

The coolant sensor was bad; prior service had used an aftermarket sensor which apparently is known to fail. Replaced it with OEM version. Initially better, but still misfires with VAG-COM showing this:
    3 Faults Found:
    18393 - Coolant Control Module 2 (J671): Malfunction
    P1985 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded
    17537 - Fuel Trim; Bank 2 (Mult): System too Rich
    P1129 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - MIL ON
    17535 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult): System too Rich
    P1127 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - MIL ON
    Readiness: 0010 1101

Anyone know if coolant control module malfunction will lead to the additional codes? MAF issue, or just related to the CCM?
    Very frustrating as our chapter had a drive through Santa Cruz mountains and local wineries tomorrow; just wouldn't be the same in the Yukon XL...

As pat said earlier, I had a similar issue way back with misfires post coil pack and plug replacement. Make sure air box is seated correctly, my wasn't and once adjusted misfires gone
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

+1 on the Air Box. All the symptoms point to an incorrectly seated box. Hope its as simple as that. Good luck..............
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Bingo. Reseated the airbox this morning, cleared the codes, and running strong again. Many thanks for the quick advice!

You guys went to RS6 University or what???
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue - mods? Whatever Ben does....

Quote Originally Posted by Born2be View Post
    You guys went to RS6 University or what???
    Mike, I'mmmmm smaaaaatttt....I can do things!!!
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Bingo--these guys are veddy veddy good. I continue to always be impressed with the brain trust on this forum. I'm here just to provide some comic relief at times..00
    210K miles rolled

Does someone have the part number for the coolant control module. My car started throwing this code as well.
    18393 - Coolant Control Module 2 (J671): Malfunction
    P1985 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded

-Rian
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Does anyone have a RS6 running without a code/misfire/sensor issue/vacuum leak/DRC issue/strange noises/cracked skirt or muffler issue??- LOL
    210K miles rolled

codes - no... but I probably jinxed myself
    misfire - yes, rare but yes
    sensor - no
    vacuum leak - scared but no
    DRC issue - COUNTLESS
    strange noises - the most odd one is the "boiling water sound" when you run water across a hot element - only occurs after driving with temps normal, shut down for 5-10 minutes, start 'er up, THAT sound...
    cracked - no
    muffler - too damn quiet - does that count?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    Does anyone have a RS6 running without a code/misfire/sensor issue/vacuum leak/DRC issue/strange noises/cracked skirt or muffler issue??- LOL
    I did....hahaha.

^LOL- You have the mad hatter skills to maintain and it drove you to drink- :000
    210K miles rolled

Sometimes, rarely, my car decides to randomly pull timing. I have no friggin idea why. It decided to do it the other day while pulling on an R32.

And a "tink tink tink" noise i hear while turning in the parking garage... even though my CVs are all in good shape.

And Squeaky McSqueaky Brakes.

And the nut behind the wheel comes loose and does stupid shit on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post

And the nut behind the wheel comes loose and does stupid shit on occasion.
    You mean the drop it from 4th to second and put your foot down

Codes are good here, some odd water noises, timing being pulled but getting better as ecu get familiar to the aces4 in the tank....I think....

Skribe, your description of the timing being pulled please, and what rpm range?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com