Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ok, what did they do...

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Sometimes, rarely, my car decides to randomly pull timing. I have no friggin idea why. It decided to do it the other day while pulling on an R32.
    Were you in Little Rock the other day?? I was tooling around in the R32 for the past few days and thought I smoked a RS6- LOL
    210K miles rolled

Sometimes, rarely, my car decides to randomly pull timing. I have no friggin idea why. It decided to do it the other day while pulling on an R32.

So does this show through your PLX gauge, or data logging?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Skribe, your description of the timing being pulled please, and what rpm range?
    Once in a great while, the car just doesn't have the oomph. It's still quite fast, but it doesn't have it's normal "oh shit" giddy-up that makes these cars so much fun. It doesn't drop off a cliff all at once, it's a constant below norm kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    So does this show through your PLX gauge, or data logging?
    My multi gauge can't show advance.... I was able to catch it once after running with a constant logging state for a long time... but everything looked good. Didn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    Were you in Little Rock the other day?? I was tooling around in the R32 for the past few days and thought I smoked a RS6- LOL
    My rocking is too huge to visit a place called Little Rock. My rocking is so rock it's spelled "RAWK."

I've given up on solving it unless I move in next door to Pat. It's not a big deal, it's very infrequent and something I can live with... I talked about it with a field tech and he thought maybe my tune could flow too much air on rare occasions causing the ECU to turn down the wick for a bit. It's not a big deal until I roll up on a slammed R32 and suddenly don't have ludicrous speed.

The R32 didn't pull on me, it was just too close for comfort. There is a group of russian guys northern IL who all have turbo'd R32s that would definitely give me an honest run for the money, but I don't think this particular R32 had been snailed. I heard no spooling.

My multi gauge can't show advance.... I was able to catch it once after running with a constant logging state for a long time... but everything looked good. Didn't make sense.
    You can log knock sensor voltages. If the voltage starts to go up quick, you'll see timing pulled. It might not even throw a misfire count, or code - just that the voltage started to go up and timing is reduced because of it. If you do get a chance to see that, it is likely the gas, or the tune. Probably crap for gas.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    You can log knock sensor voltages. If the voltage starts to go up quick, you'll see timing pulled. It might not even throw a misfire count, or code - just that the voltage started to go up and timing is reduced because of it. If you do get a chance to see that, it is likely the gas, or the tune. Probably crap for gas.
    That is an excellent theory. I try to gas up at the same local BP always, but come to think of it, it could well be related to the occasional few gallons of ghetto gas when I get caught on E out of my neighborhood... it's a thirsty beast.

V8weight, I´m glad to see you´re still with us. You´re some kind of spiritual father to the Forum. ¿You know that?

That is an excellent theory. I try to gas up at the same local BP always, but come to think of it, it could well be related to the occasional few gallons of ghetto gas when I get caught on E out of my neighborhood... it's a thirsty beast.
    You're telling me, I fill up about every three to four days!
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe View Post
    V8weight, I´m glad to see you´re still with us. You´re some kind of spiritual father to the Forum. ¿You know that?

Pat selling his beast.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

lol, I've been *enjoying* the "good" gas mileage I've been getting! Premium (100RON, about the same as 93AKI) gas costs $9/gallon in Korea, and my Skyline got 6mpg...on a good day. I definitely put the local gas station owner's kids through college!
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

well, with me getting this code:
    18393 - Coolant Control Module 2 (J671): Malfunction
    P1985 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

I'll try swapping the G62 sensor and see if that clears the code! $16 beats the pants off of $220!
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Went in to get my coolant flush and they used the conventional green coolant. Do I need to flush it out again and make sure G12 pink coolant is used or is using the extended life green coolant ok?

Quote Originally Posted by repda503 View Post
    Went in to get my coolant flush and they used the conventional green coolant. Do I need to flush it out again and make sure G12 pink coolant is used or is using the extended life green coolant ok?
    Yes! Get the green coolant flushed out and re-fill with G12..
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

^^ WPS (What Pat Said.) Do it now.

In theory, if they flushed all the G12 out of your system, you could be OK... But not something I would f- around with. If they didn't flush all the G12 out, mixing conventional coolant in can create a gel in your cooling system.

Some believe that conventional coolant is fine in VAG cars if all G12 is flushed out, others believe it can cause scaling in your cooling system and FUBAR that whole works.

Bottom line: That shop should flush and refill on their dime. Any mechanic worth anything knows that VAG cars need G12 coolant and it's very amateur to fill it with conventional... why would you take any chance over what, a $20 difference in coolant?

Glad you're still here, Pat.

Ok thanks for the input!