Thread: RS6 RNS-E INstall Issues: faceplate, re-flash & code?? Have VAGCOM UNIT

RS6 RNS-E INstall Issues: faceplate, re-flash & code?? Have VAGCOM UNIT

HI - I bought a RNS-E unit from a B6 S4 (faceplate also) w/a new Sirius receiver that seller said worked perfectly with the unit - he said it all worked perfectly in CT ...so I made an ass out of umma thurmond and me and assumed it would work as described and be a faceplate modification at best...

Right now my RS6 is sitting with the RNS-E unit part way installed. My install guys are great and are all over the Audi-related Forums. They have the Vagcom necessary. (I will withhold their identity until I get the job done and are sure they want to be mentioned)

I have searched for 3 days (all audi-related/lambo/vw boards for sale of C5 (or B5) faceplate - to no avail...

CURRENT STATUS: My installer says he will have to re-flash the unit in-order for it to work (from EU to NA spec) - even the "newer" Sirius receiver I bought along with unit will not interface. Unit will not fit - too tall (there will be gaps on sides also)

QUESTIONS:
    1. Can you tell me what to look for OEM-wise - I'd like to explore that option before cutting if possible then I can put the B6 faceplate out for someone else...
    2. IF the B6 faceplate is wrong - AND I cannot get an OEM fix - I need to know whether to trim it on top or bottom - OR do I trim climate control top?
    3. I am now worried that I'll need a code also to make it work???

He was able to incorporate the Fiscon Bluetooth unit to work

I have tried to contact the seller to ask what to do, but he's not come back to me.

All help will be greatly appreciated!

This is exactly why I did a ton of research before jumping into the RNS-E.

- Good luck with the EU to NA flash. It is a ROM flash (not vagcom accessible), and a small group of people know how to do it, and they keep that info tight lipped.

- Sirius unit 8E0 035 593 D/8E0 057 593 D or newer rev letter will work. If the sirus unit is not activated you will have NO SOUND, even on preview channels. If you can see the call sirius to activate message you should be ok.

- Trimming the car is a bad idea for fitment. Put a face plate wanted ad on audiforums.us but dont get your hopes up. It is best to cut your loses and buy a proper unit.

4B0-035-192-R is a US Spec unit
    4B0-035-192-P is a Euro Spec unit and will need firmware changed, buy it already changed to US spec.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Thanks - I did a ton of research too, but trusted a fellow audi owner that said he had this working in his S4 and now I'm just trying to make the best of a bad situation...

- Can you steer me in the direction of the of the ROM flash?

I can live w/ill fitting unit until I find the face plate.

Thanks

Try asking on audiforum.us

Best advice I can give!
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

For the software flash try www.vagnav.com or lee at mailto:lee@nsxjr.com I'm sorry to say but a search should have revealed that the faceplates are definitely different and Audi doesn't sell them. As marklar182 mentioned, try a want ad on www.audiforum.us as their is a lot of RNS-E Nav stuff there. The unit should boot up when plugged in, what software version does it say? The software version should be around 500 to 650 if it's a Euro and probably around 200 to 260 if it is N. American. Do not trim the climate control unit if you decide to make it fit, trim the RNS-E trim panel. Someone on the list here had luck trimming a A4/S4 unit and installing it in a C5. Also keep an eye out on Ebay for a broken A6/S6/RS6 C5 unit. What was the part # on the Sirius receiver? For the cars, I think the A8 is about the only unit that uses a different receiver.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I agree with hahn. Contact Lee Hicks and/or his brother Troy. Troy did my install. RNS-E, Bluetooth, XM/Sirius and Dice iPod adapter. It took a few visits to get the kinks worked out, but it's working like a charm. Troy may be willing to travel to you, but your problems are different than mine. Worth contacting either of them, but I think you're SoL. The faceplates are not available as separate items, from what Audi tells me.

Secondly, while trusting the seller sometimes doesn't work out, you still have an RNS-E unit and Sirius module. You can re-sell them, if necessary.

Sorry for your troubles.

CW

imthedecidah, as I said, post what software version you have? The install really is pretty easy for just the Nav unit. A little more difficult if you are adding the Bluetooth and/or Ipod. For just the Nav, you just need to plug in the adapter plug and antenna plugs (radio), GPS Antenna plug and just stick the GPS antenna behind the instrument cluster (you can use the Onstar/Sharkfin GPS antenna as I did but it is a little more difficult to get at), and one splice into the GALA speed sensor wire at the back of the instrument cluster. There is a online Tutorial to do the EU/N.America software conversion, it really doesn't look that hard if you want to attempt it. It is on audiforum.us under the RNS-E tab link.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Couple of things, get your car out of whatever "shop" is installing the RNS-E. If they have to search forums to find out how to install it, then they really don't know how to do the job to begin with.

2) what is the model number on the top of the unit, I doubt it will need to be reflashed considering it's a USDM B6 S4 unit with an A4 faceplate, if it worked in CT then it works anywhere in the US (pt number 2 of why your installer doesn't know what he is doing) inexperienced installers can brick these units very easily trying to flash them. So be careful.

3) as was said, finding an a6 faceplate separate is going to be a nightmare. So either return your unit and buy from Vagnavs.com or convince me to sell mine (faceplate only)
    But its going to take a very generous offer.

4) it's easy to install on your own, a simple google search will return very informative pdf's.

I have a new 2010 navtec CD and the original nav disk from my '08 a6 - is that where the software version I need to know is located - or is the software version you reference listed somewhere within the rnse unit? - If so - how do I determine which software version I need?

so this link defines it all todate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rFlSE0Xgn8 - Testing radio function

demonstrates what functionality currently is good and what isn't. Shows the radio working and the cluster display working as well as the sat nav NOT working and the sat radio NOT working. The I guess that the EU to US conversion flash is supposed to fix this?

German ebay is a better place (IMO) to find an A6 faceplate for this nav unit.... www.eBay.de
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon