Thread: Center Console Annoyances/Questions

Center Console Annoyances/Questions

Just a few annoyances that seem like they could be quick/cheap fixes.

Is there a spring as part of this latch inside/behind what the pic shows? When its in the up position (using cup holder) it can rattle pretty good. One of the legs was broken and I was able to glue it back so it works/latches but the rattle will drive me insane. Otherwise I was thinking of padding what it rattles against but that will reduce the travel of the latch and I'm afraid that it won't latch as easily. There is always the dremel but I'd rather not...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	latch..jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	11527

The second could be a cheap new part

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinge..jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	11526

The arm rest portion that pops up just seems to do so freely. Is there something in there to help it so it won't slam down/rattle? I found this part (number 11, but this is a drawing for 2003 A6) in the drawing but do not see anything in my center console. Is this how the other RS6s act?
    link to part at audiusaparts.com

Last question, how does the unused phone jack/plug come out? I'm going to run an AUX 3.5mm cable there.

I know they are small issues but these drive me (and I'm sure others) *insane*
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

The arm rest has always been the weakest link in the interior of the three Audis I have owned. I was disappointed that they had used the same exact parts bin for the RS6, because it was never a good design. I deleted it completely in my B5 A4, and removed the lid in my C5 A6. I just put a water bottle in there for travel, and it serves the same purpose.

The RS6 arm rest will be coming out during the winter, to be replaced by a fire extinguisher. Can still use it to lay my arm on, and will be nice to have a little extra level of safety on board.

YOURS HAS CUP HOLDERS?! WHERE DO I SIGN UP

Also, if you're near an LKQ, they're surprisingly cheap on interior parts. Just get a new lid/whole arm rest assembly from a black leather A6 or something. The C5 A6 4.2 I previously had, had the exact same arm rest.

Regarding your aux input, here's my advice: don't remove the jack, but use it. pull the arm rest out and splice your aux cable into the harness, as it just unplugs underneath, and either splice a headphone plug into the jack (first cut off the jack) or (I think the better solution) go buy a phone cord and splice your aux cable's other end into that. Make sure all the wires connect to the right places of course, and then you'll have a removable aux cable that's already designed to swivel with the hinge and you don't have to worry about! Sorry if that seems a little confusing, I can post pics and make it a little clearer if you're interested.

As for removing the console, I like it, as it hides my inverter screen and plugs. When I finally get around to introducing myself and my car, I'll post a pic. I integrated those into the little cradle beneath the arm rest behind the handbrake (which only took me a good 8 hours total) and put the inverter in the trunk. In my A6, I had all my AUX plugs there (S-Video in, headphone in, d-aux in). There are many uses for that place, but few that you want exposed I would think. Thats why I say, fix it! Don't tear it out haha.
    2003 RS6 "Silvianna" STaSiS C5, GIAC ECU, K&N filters, "black" exhaust kit, Alpine W505, Alpine R Components, Alpine PDX.400 + PDX.1000, JL 13" slim, Valentine One, 2KW Inverter, All hidden.

Bringing another thread back from the dead.

I just realized the hinge mechanism on my RS6 Center Console armrest is busted... Anyone got a source for replacement and/or recommendation how to repair? Would rather not have another car held together with electrical tape, superglue, and zip-ties

Whose decision was it to use brittle plastic bits in a $80k+ executive luxury sports car anyway? =|

Other_Erik
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

This was a perfect fit and easy install. Solve the broken latch and broken hinge for $17.99 Give it 10 days they come from Hong Kong. http://www.ebay.com/itm/290974501089
    Sold - 2003 RS6 Ebony Pearl on Black / Carbon Fiber / ACE Converter - Tozo installed / Eurocharged ECU / MTM TCU

Quote Originally Posted by MORS6 View Post
    This was a perfect fit and easy install. Solve the broken latch and broken hinge for $17.99 Give it 10 days they come from Hong Kong. http://www.ebay.com/itm/290974501089
    But it's leatherette, isn't it? Is it simple to swap existing leather on top?

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    But it's leatherette, isn't it? Is it simple to swap existing leather on top?

O_E
    Shhhhhhhh! Don't tell and no one will know it's fake. Definitely not real leather but way better than a loose top and hanging latch. I did see someone else on the same site selling just the latch for an "easy fix." I tried pulling the top off my old lid, without breaking anything, just to see how "easy" it would have been. I gave up after a little while but think it would be possible to replace the new leatherette top with the old top. The hong kong leatherette looked better than my original leather arm rest with 125,000 miles worth of arms rubbing on it.
    Sold - 2003 RS6 Ebony Pearl on Black / Carbon Fiber / ACE Converter - Tozo installed / Eurocharged ECU / MTM TCU

Only downside to the cheap-o is the padding wears out quick. But at $18 a pop, I guess I can't complain. After reading this tread, I just went ahead and bought another one. It does swap easy.
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

Just received an ad from ECS for a new armrest. This one is probably better than the China brand armrests I have been buying off ebay. The padding from the one I bought in November is already worn down.

Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/Audi_C...er_Armrest_Lid
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

I bought an OEM armrest out of the autowreckers here locally for $5.00. I swapped out the base from the incorrect color one with the broken base from my own car and clipped things all in place. Voila! You can look to take a Made in China unit and swap the base hinge portion out with the broken unit of your OEM unit. Easy to do.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I installed a new OEM armrest and don't use it, can't stand resting my elbow on something while shifting.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

I guess I used my armrest when I had an automatic RS6.

Anyway, I'm not sure why folks don't pony up and put in OEM parts on their $85K car. I know they're only worth $20K now but still, $125 for an OEM part is not too bad for a limited production vehicle such as the RS6.

Quote Originally Posted by Avus-RS6 View Post
    I installed a new OEM armrest and don't use it, can't stand resting my elbow on something while shifting.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

Quote Originally Posted by Avus-RS6 View Post
    I guess I used my armrest when I had an automatic RS6.

Anyway, I'm not sure why folks don't pony up and put in OEM parts on their $85K car. I know they're only worth $20K now but still, $125 for an OEM part is not too bad for a limited production vehicle such as the RS6.
    Got a part number? Can't seem to find a way to put a pirated ETKA on my 64-bit Win7 box...

Thanks
    O_E

Also, a follow-on - why would I use a $125 part that has the same spindly weak-ass little brittle plastic connector that breaks for EVERYONE? If there was an alternative that wouldn't break for a nominal amount more, I'd be all over it. Not only can I not find a part number _on the part itself_, but $125 for something that's going to break after a couple uses is just wasteful :|

I guess it's kinda the same reason I'm not too keen on replacing headlamp capsules with OE parts. The vertical travel screw siezes in the full down position, and the horizonal travel screw strips its post, leaving your car cross-eyed and staring at the ground. For $2600 list price, I expect a hell of a lot better than that.
    Last edited by Other_Erik; March 21st, 2014 at 18:30. Reason: follow-on thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    I guess it's kinda the same reason I'm not too keen on replacing headlamp capsules with OE parts. The vertical travel screw siezes in the full down position, and the horizonal travel screw strips its post, leaving your car cross-eyed and staring at the ground. For $2600 list price, I expect a hell of a lot better than that.
    I repaired both of my adjusters that were stripped by pulling the failed plastic gear off the metal spindle, applying a small amount of PL400 on the inside, and sticking back on. Once the PL400 (or epoxy if you so choose) hardens, it's as hard as the original bond.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down