Thread: Getting geared up for the 75k major service, any advice?

Getting geared up for the 75k major service, any advice?

Well, now its time. Along with the scheduled timing belt and tensioners, and pulleys and stuff, I am going to have the motor mounts replaced, since the originals are reporting a fault code. Since the whole front of the car will be off, and access will be easy, I am going to have the water pump changed, and the ribbed belt also, even though it is supposed to be only "inspected".

I am NOT going to have the recall done for the fuel tank rollover valve nipple leak problem; don't like the sounds of the "repair".

Also having the trans pan dropped, and fluid changed, while I'm there, and thats about it.

Anything I'm missing that would be easier now than a later date because of access with the front of the engine exposed? What about upgraded motor mounts instead of the stock replacements? Aren't there 3 mounts, including one for the trans?

Thanks!
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

There are 3 motor mounts plus 2 on the trans. Two of the engine motor mounts have the sensors built in, the 3rd in the front is just a rubber isolator mount. The waterpump is part of the 75K service and you should have them do all of the tensioners while in there. There are a couple of people that had studs broken on the tensioners so I am going to replace mine when I do them in the next couple of weeks too.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

You didnt mention it so....thermostat is a must.

The bolts for the waterpump have been known to snap at that mileage. Just make darn sure the car sits overnight before the techs tear into the front of the engine. Make sure they also use the new bolts for WP as well as crank pulley.

And +1 there is no way I will let the monkeys cut a hole in the RS6 floor. Just to rub some epoxy around....??? give me a break.

although it wasn't on an RS6, I had a belt tensioner pulley stud snap on me too. Very, very depressing. One bolt can ruin your day; best to replace! I asked ARP to do the pulley bolts, but the lead time on custom orders is two years. As long as it's new and torqued to spec, it should be good.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Jesus! Was that two years because you are in Korea? Do they have to drill the mine first?
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

nope, I was trying to set up a big group order based through the Skyline GTR Owners Club based in the UK; timing belt service also includes doing the water pump and belt idlers, and I figured a supply of Skyline-specific ARP idler studs would be a very useful thing. ARP replied that their backlog of custom orders was about two years.

It might be overkill, but a highly strengthened set of studs for the idler tensioners would be very nice, simply because the consequences of one breaking are so huge.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo