Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not a surprise comparison - C5 RS6 vs E39 M5?

not a surprise comparison - C5 RS6 vs E39 M5?

so, while in the market for an RS6, I inevitably come across it's immediate rival - the E39 M5.

Anyways, I thought at least a few people here must have weighed that decision - the cars are fairly similarly priced, and while the Audi packs more power, it's heavy, and the engine sticks out in front of the front axles. Investing into the suspension and going to bigger, stickier tires will be an immediate cost for an RS6 to try to tame the understeer for me. AWD is good - preferred in fact, but it's an automatic, and I've never owned an automatic car in my life.

BMWs have always been more for purists, and I'd say I'm that sort of person. Yet the RS6 is a damned quick car and reflashing the ECU yields big power gains straight off the bat. And since it's turbocharged, there's more than can be done. The S62 engine in the BMW isn't so easily modified without going to a very, very expensive supercharger setup. And I am an admitted power junkie.

Since you're here, you either never considered the M5, or thought about it and chose Audi. I'd like to solicit your opinions as to why. Thanks!
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

I had this very contemplation. I considered myself primarily a BMW fan. Previously, I had owned an E46 M3 coupe SMG, and an M6 coupe. Before the M3 was a B5 A4 (my first new car ) and later a B5 S4 stage 3. In all honestly, I can't really say what swayed me to the RS6. I was looking at both at same time.

I like and appreciate what both are, and its completely different. RS6 was more rare, which was one factor. I think it looks more modern as well. People always tell me they think its an 08 or newer model. I happen to come upon a great deal on the exact car I wanted, so I pulled the trigger. Had a deal come by on a nice M5, could have been different to be honest. My guess is the M5 could be more reliable on average. definitely easier to service. But I enjoy the exclusivity and timeless beauty of the RS. Do I miss the throaty growl of a NA V8 and a manual? sure.. but I would say 80 to 90% of the time the RS is a better suited daily driver. Which is what I use it for.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

First things first, neither of these cars will ever be a sports car. They are high performance sedans and are suited for uses appropriate with that title. That said, they're are loads of fun.

Weights: Curb weight for the M5 is 3,957 and 4,024 for the Audi. 77 lbs isn't a huge difference in my book.

Power: Obviously the Audi wins on power to weight. Kills the M5 once you chip it.

Handling: Depends on what you're doing with it. If you're the Stig on Top Gear and are throwing the car around a track, the M5 will be the ultimate driving machine. The Audi's AWD, no matter the bias, will handicap it here a bit. For everyday use, Audi wins, especially with the security that AWD offers.

Maintenance: Both have issues. Oil consumption issues with the M5 motor and tranny problems with the RS6. Audi will win with cost here - it's a more expensive car to maintain. Neither are cheap.

Torque - Audi, next topic.

Tuning - Audi, next topic.

Interiors - Except for lack of a nav system (I mean a real nav system), the Audi interior is better in most aspects. Stereo - blows the crap BMW unit away. The only exception are the BMW sport seats - very comfy and better than the RS6 (why can't we have the Recaros like the EU gets)!

Exterior - I like both, but I'm and Audi guy and I like the styling better. BMW has killer wheels on the M5 - I love of the offset sizing between front and rear.

Most important - at the end of the day you have to decide if you want to be a BMW driver or an Audi driver

BMW (even M-series) interiors always seem cheap and "plastic'y" to me. The leather seems fake, the dash material is just a notch above GM. That is the killer for me when it comes to BMW. Audi has the interior materials down to a science!
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Call me shallow, but I want a car that that turns heads because it not only kicks butt with power, but because it looks really, really good as well. In the looks department, in my opinion, there is no comparison. The RS6 is just a flat-out beautiful car.
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude

Quote Originally Posted by marklar182 View Post
    BMW (even M-series) interiors always seem cheap and "plastic'y" to me. The leather seems fake, the dash material is just a notch above GM. That is the killer for me when it comes to BMW. Audi has the interior materials down to a science!
    I cannot tell a lie:
    Since my initials are BMW...
    I cut my teeth seeing the 3 series and CSI etc driving around Seattle/Bellevue/Kirkland.
    Then my bud's father gave him a 635csi euro version - that engine note and exhaust was incredible and crisp!
    Ultimate Driving Machine - for a while - yeah!
    Joy - ???wth??? - booo!

The lurking on RS6.com for 3+ years got old and the "sewing machine" was just like every other cookie cutter Honda out there. (is that too uppity???) and I got to drive the Special Sauce BEFORE it was Special... hooks set in deep - for all you fishermen and women. The executive branch was applying pressure to Congress to free up some funds...
    So with that stated, my wife wanted to explore the possibility of purchasing a NEW BMW 5 series (no M5 - too expensive) with a warranty and blah blah blah... since she was concerned over the reliability of an Audi and then to top that off, the age of said RS6. (that stigma of Audi 200 or 100 are still fresh in American's minds)
    So I "went along for the ride" so to say:
    Sat in a 535, meh - not impressed - seemed rather plain and lackluster. Driving it was even more boring, to me and the fam, that it just sitting on the lot.
    Sat in a 550, ok that is better but still not quite there. Sticker shock was enough to keep her moving away from the 550.
    Sales guy wouldn't let me sit in the M5 (not to say that I would have wanted to but I wasn't given the option...) - maybe he saw the sticker shock on the 550...

I can't say I was disappointed leaving the BMW lot... (¿Joy?)
    I was ecstatic when I drove from Beverly Hills to San Diego on a raining night thru LA via the 405 to the 5, I was pinching myself the next morning.
    She still doesn't understand NOR will she drive it...

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention that the glove box in the brand new 550 fell off when I sat in the car and the sales guy was like "yeah we gotta get that fixed, happened in transit". WTF?!?!?
    Last edited by ben916; June 29th, 2011 at 20:58.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Here's my 2 worthless beans on the subject...

M5s...a whole lot of them were sold. Early cars are not so good in the long run...but hands down the E39 is far better looking than a newer model M5 (just IMO) I do agree that their interiors are cheap looking compared to MBs or more recent Audis. I certainly wouldn't call them the 'ultimate driving machine' but the M-cars sure deserve high marks.

RS6s...not many were sold/built and exclusive to 03' only in the US...I like that. Tranny/TC is a sore point if not already taken care of by POs...as is the t-belt change intervals... and that darn DRC ! Paddle shift is nicer than a manual in such a big/heavy car...especially nice with a much needed tranny chip.

I'm a Mercedes guy, I still am and was/still am considering a CLS/E55 or 63...but I figured I had to jump on the RS6 when it was just sitting on the lot for so long on consignment; and lucky for me the owner wanted out of it bad so I stole it for very low 20s (bye-bye Porsche Cab) ....the 3 or 4 RS6s that past thru the dealership previously left me regretting not trying one out. Now I'm VERY happy to have a nice one in my stable. And with the winter tires the owner threw in...I can drive it year round. Its a friggen' 500+hp snowmobile ! Extra points for the Rs6 if you live and drive within the snowbelt.

Its really apples vs oranges...but I prefer apples. The orange may float your boat just as well and are fine cars in their own right.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Come on guys our cars are 8 years old, and I still can't think of a car that I would like to replace it with. Not even the C6 RS6. BMW's are fantastic cars, but styling wise can't compare. Not event the M5. The C5 RS6 styling is Timeless. I get nothing but looks, stares and Compliments from BMW and Mercedes drivers. Yes It has a few a weak points, but correct them and you've got an affordable super car. Completely Rebuild the Transmission, Replace the DRC with Coilovers,a set of Catless or high flow catted downpipes into a low restriction exhaust system, a good Tune and your good to go. That's what I did to mine and believe me, I couldn't be any happier. BMW M series and Mercedes AMG series are great cars no doubt, but our C5's with a few fixes and mods are very comparable at a fraction of the cost. And look better to boot. Just the way I see things........................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

^^^ what he said.....i luv this car, it has a timeless beauty, and she can be made to be super fast. I had a monster with the CL65 amg, and even flashed it...it had gobs of torque, the wheels always spun, but it left me flat, it had no soul and handle like it had marshmellows for suspension....sorry MB guys, i was bored.....RS6, it grunts and then when rhe tUrbos spool, teh car explodes with torque, add the tidbits like Elevens others and myself, and you can kill many cars on the road currently.
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Wow, I can play on this one for sure. I have owned them both. I took Euro delivery of my 2000 M5 in May of 2000. It was only my second brand new car. Ironically, my best friend had a new then A6 4.2. I will post a photo if I can find it readily.

So back the comparisons. I loved my E39 M5. I did NOT have the engine oil consumption issue while I owned it. As mentioned, the stereo was crap, but the seats were exceptional. In fact they rank 4th all time behind my S8 sports seats, my E34 Euro M5 seats and my Euro M8 (euro version of the 850csi) seats. Factory body roll was actually worse than a stock RS6 with working DRC. In fact when I first got my RS6, I loved the suspension.

From a standstill, the RS6 eats the M5 for breakfast. Part of this is the wheel spin with the M5. It was a little tough to hook up if you were really getting on it. I was NEVER a fan of the clutch, or the gear throw in the M5. These were both items that changed over the production run.

Brakes.... RS6. SO easy. Especially against the US version of the M5 brakes. I had mine changed to the Euro rotors in Germany before I shipped the car back.

The RS6 feels more special inside, but the full leather version of the M5 was really nice. Leather dash, leather headliner etc...it was really special too. But the swtichgear made it feel like any other 5 series.

The RS6 has a better exhaust note. Not sure why, since displacement is less, plus the turbochargers, but for some reason the crackling backfire of the rs6 is really nice.

I guess in the end, I love both cars. If I could have the seats out of the BMW in the RS6, then it would really be a no brainer.

Stephen

I also debated this as well (including the E60 M5 and E55/E63 Mercedes).
    In the end I wanted AWD (for no particular reason) and Turbos. Call me crazy but Turbo lag can be one of the most enjoyable experiences in my opinion.

Rarity also would have played into it had I thought about it. There are a ton of M5s around me.

This is only my third car so I have limited experience. I could see myself buying a M5 down the road but I don't see myself selling my RS6.

It might be interesting to post this on an M5 forum and see what they have to say.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

When this forum started we actually borrowed an RS6 and a M5 and did some testing.

Search and you will find.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

IMO it comes down to whether or not you want AWD or find it useful. If you live in a place where the sun shines every day I think you'd be happy with an M5. There's slightly less that can go wrong with them, they sound brilliant as well and they are a bit more lively to drive than the RS6. In terms of performance, a well running E39 M5 will be in between a stock and a mapped RS6. Not a whole lot of difference. Unless you do 0-35mph sprints with it then the mapped RS6 might "kill" it. At very high speeds the M will in fact hold its own even against a mapped 6.
    If your weather isn't as pleasant all of the time you might enjoy Quattro quite a bit however. And I would say interior wise the Audi edges it as well.
    03 RS6 Daytona Avant w/ cognac interior. Precat delete, Supersprint exhaust, FK Koni coilovers, Wagner ICs, MRC'd 546 bhp.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jcviggen1

Quote Originally Posted by JCviggen View Post
    IMO it comes down to whether or not you want AWD or find it useful. If you live in a place where the sun shines every day I think you'd be happy with an M5. There's slightly less that can go wrong with them, they sound brilliant as well and they are a bit more lively to drive than the RS6. In terms of performance, a well running E39 M5 will be in between a stock and a mapped RS6. Not a whole lot of difference. Unless you do 0-35mph sprints with it then the mapped RS6 might "kill" it. At very high speeds the M will in fact hold its own even against a mapped 6.
    If your weather isn't as pleasant all of the time you might enjoy Quattro quite a bit however. And I would say interior wise the Audi edges it as well.
    Ambient temp here is roughly 70-72 degrees year round...
    With that stated, we will not have rain for months and when it does rain the roads are slippery - not due to the rain but due to the oil.
    Also, the density of the rain is very thick so lots of water on the roads. This is quite contrary to where I learned to drive - Seattle - rains all the time, not quite as dense of a rain.

Ok, blah blah blah... Not to say that AWD will save you in every situation BUT a RWD in this sunny situation turned rainy - might as well be driving on slicks... might be fun for a while but then you don't know what the hell the a$$hole next to you is doing.
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I admit I do miss getting tail-happy in a RWD car. I loved my M6 for 2 reasons - LOUD awesome exhaust note (aftermarket) and being able to slide around turns. However, can't launch for sh*t. A friend recently came over with an E39 M5 with headers/exhaust.. destroys the exhaust note of RS6. RS sounds good, but doesn't make my hair raise at WOT near readline like many other cars I have owned. Honestly, its my only real complaint. I like my women quiet and my cars loud.

But to reiterate.. I love the RS6.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    I like my women quiet and my cars loud.
    Okay, I'll ignore the remark about your women, but I have to agree about the cars. I wish I had some spare change to put the Sound Enhancing Exhaust on my RS6.
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude

Getting tail-happy is fun, don't get me wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by vitalian View Post
    Okay, I'll ignore the remark about your women, but I have to agree about the cars. I wish I had some spare change to put the Sound Enhancing Exhaust on my RS6.

LMAO!!!!
    I guess the So Cal-ers need to get together with Hy Octane to hear the straight pipes he has...
    But then if you have a super loud exhaust, the sleeper effect goes away...

But then if you have a super loud exhaust, the sleeper effect goes away...

I'm ok with that.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth