Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Nerve!........

I do love cars, but as a biker, well, those crotch rockets are just in a completely different planet. My BMW S1000RR runs around 210bhp with a full race exhaust and piggyback fueling computer; the last car to try to race me was a 458 Italia, which I left as if it hadn't even gotten started.

Acceleration on any modern 1000cc superbike is so brutal that one more hangs on for dear life than anything else. I was riding yesterday with my riding buddies; there are three 2nd generation Hayabusas. On a newly built highway in the Korean mountains (empty), we ran a couple 60-180mph pulls, and I passed them each time after giving them about 1-2 seconds headstart. Still frightens the bejeezus out of me to peg the throttle on my bike, and I wouldn't even have the balls to do that if it didn't have an anti-wheelie/traction control computer on it.

I've raced a lot of Gallardos in my Skyline; having now driven an RS6, I'm not surprised that up to 80mph an RS6 can keep pace, especially if chipped.

I've never really understood the Honda tuning scene; how the hell does one get that kind of power down with front wheel drive?? I need to search the forum here; someone at some point must have gone for a monster RS6 build. I know what I can get out of 2.8 liters and twin turbos; with 4.2 liters, dropping the compression ratio to 8.5:1 and forged pistons (and Darton sleeves if the stock Audi block can't take that much boost), 800-900 bhp should be dead simple to achieve. But then there's that pesky transmission issue...and then such an RS6 would need spoolup time, and the thing that impressed me mightily about the RS6 is that I couldn't sense that it was a blown engine; power was right there from 2000rpm.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrapped View Post
    yes, saw that thread...I think he was GIAC chipped as well, pretty sad an ACura can smoke ya....but to be fair I think he has boost issues.
    Ha....wanna wager a few dollars next month when my Acura comes home.....lol...I'll let you take off while I'm standing outside my car with it running and still smoke yer ass....lmao
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Haha, for a sec there, I was like "who the hell is this guy"? Then I realized you are Stephens friend when I saw your signature.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

So I decided to take the RS6 out on a business trip, because I'm working close to home. A couple days ago after work, we (me and a co-worker) saw a new, dark gray R8 rolling the opposite direction, but we were in his Charger rental and didn't have a chance to chase it down. Today we went out to dinner, followed by a trip to Cold Stone for some ice cream. Sitting in the parking lot was a nice looking 350 Z with the top down, but no owner in sight. When we came back outside to eat, the Z was gone. Shortly after, I saw a guy get out of his SUV and snap a pic with his phone, then walk towards the store with that "who's car is that?" look. I sat patiently and waited, he looked at me, then away, back at me, then turned and went back to his ride. We finished up a few minutes later and headed towards the interstate. The light turned yellow, and I stopped to allow the ramp to empty so I could have a nice clean runway. A few seconds before the light changes, a guy in a little black 2-door coupe with a bowtie on the grille gets all up in my rear bumper. I wasn't much paying attention as he approached, but I think I saw SS beside the headlight, but then I couldn't see anything, he was so close. The light turns green, I slowly make the left turn onto the ramp, and maybe I could slide a sheet of paper between our bumpers. So I dropped the hammer. 7k, shift to 2nd. 7k, shift to 3rd. Hit the freeway at 85, slowed to 55 to be within the confines of the law, and looked in the rear view. No more bowtie. My buddy says "that's so cool."

Hehe.....havent posted much.....think Im up to 6....thought about that after I hit the post button. Gotta stand up for my "other" ride though
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Here the ones who race you most are the Mexicans, in whatever they've acquired. Last night I found a WRX STI full of them at a stop light. I held the brake with one foot and hit the gas a couple times, and the kid in the back seat egged the driver on. Light turned green, I got to the line, and backed off. He had it full on the throttle, so I just kept up with him as we were getting closer to a group of lazily-driving citizens. Then it became clear he was going to try and pass me so I punched it and got in front of him. He almost endo'd trying to stop before almost ruining the back end of the minivan in front of him.. I can't count the number of times I've gotten in some very dangerous situations racing Mexicans here (no offense, not trying to be racist or anything, they're just always in the stories).. a pair tried to run me off the highway one time. Literally one in front and one behind, so I shot off the exit ramp (this was in an A6 4.2) instead of prolonging it.

And it isn't USUALLY because I provoked the race
    2003 RS6 "Silvianna" STaSiS C5, GIAC ECU, K&N filters, "black" exhaust kit, Alpine W505, Alpine R Components, Alpine PDX.400 + PDX.1000, JL 13" slim, Valentine One, 2KW Inverter, All hidden.

Sounds like you should use better judgement. Just sayin'
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Quote Originally Posted by T-elospathic View Post
    Here the ones who race you most are the Mexicans, in whatever they've acquired. Last night I found a WRX STI full of them at a stop light. I held the brake with one foot and hit the gas a couple times, and the kid in the back seat egged the driver on. Light turned green, I got to the line, and backed off. He had it full on the throttle, so I just kept up with him as we were getting closer to a group of lazily-driving citizens. Then it became clear he was going to try and pass me so I punched it and got in front of him. He almost endo'd trying to stop before almost ruining the back end of the minivan in front of him.. I can't count the number of times I've gotten in some very dangerous situations racing Mexicans here (no offense, not trying to be racist or anything, they're just always in the stories).. a pair tried to run me off the highway one time. Literally one in front and one behind, so I shot off the exit ramp (this was in an A6 4.2) instead of prolonging it.

And it isn't USUALLY because I provoked the race
    Sounds like either ego or machismo in the way... probably the later...

While returning from 2010's Comic-Con in San Diego, around dusk I was driving on "G" street headed east to get on the 94 (google map it) and there are a series of stop signals.
    Since it is hot outside, I have the windows down and enjoying the wind.
    I hear this loud exhaust note from my right side and it is total POS mid 1990's Mustang GT V8, probably with no mufflers and Poncho in the driver's seat.
    He would skid to a stop and then take off making all sorts of racket...
    Repeat about 6-7 more lights.
    I was LMAO ever single light as it was pure comedy...
    But I think he got pissed at about the 5th light as I would tease him off the light by taking off and quickly get up to speed - rabbiting off the line...
    Every time it was a skid at the stop light.
    At the final light that lead to an on ramp I goosed it and got up to about 70 and pulled back for him to catch up.
    He eventually did catch up...As the lanes were merging, he attempted a fool hearty move to try and pass but I anticipated the move and sped up...
    He had to slam on his brakes and turn right.... that WAS the last that I saw or heard of that hunk of crap car...

Still waiting for a REAL kill...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

A couple weeks ago...on ramp to the 15 south....I needed to sneak in to the turn lane (there was room, really)...dude apparently didn't appreciate it...cut me off, then we took it up to 90 before I decided I had enough and passed him with a wave...Toyota Tundra...really...okay, sorry...back to lurking.

W>
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue - mods? Whatever Ben does....

Ok, so two recent threads are about placing the "opponent," and potentially others (read minivan) in harm's way .. not cool imo. You want to drag someone off the line, go ahead. But to slow down and then shut the opening for the other car is plain dumb.
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

I realize that I'm new here, and that you don't know me. I won't speak for the other instance you're referring to, but I'll justify my story with this: I was in his blind spot. Had I not sped up to where he could see me, people could have been killed. The minivan was empty, only a driver (as I passed them at the light). The car in the other lane was full of girls enjoying their night. The minivan was basically in the other car's blind spot.

So let's take a trip to imagination land, and picture two scenarios: 1: I don't get out of his way in time and he slams into my door, and pushes us both off the bridge. Outcome? Pretty bad. 2: I DO get out of his way in time, and he continues in my lane (somehow not slamming into the little barrier and taking himself off the bridge alone) and goes to pass the minivan which was in his lane, then finds out there really isn't room and slams into the car full of girls, or pushes the minivan into oncoming traffic. Outcome? Even worse, more people die/get injured.

Imagination land is fun, such a happy place. The position I placed myself in would have either ended up in him slowing down in time, hitting the rear of my car, or plowing into the rear of the minivan going about 30 MPH faster. Luckily the former happened and he was able to slow down in time, albeit barely so. Those likely don't end up in someone dying (and didn't).

I have to say (if it isn't obvious so far) that I'm a little surprised at LIRS6 and marklar182's responses. You don't know me, and you weren't there in either of the situations you referred to (@LIRS6). I'd appreciate it if you didn't jump to the conclusion that I purposefully put the other driver in harms way. The other driver chooses whether they're in harms way as soon as they decide what their next move is going to be. All you can do is anticipate that move and act accordingly. Sure, I could have NOT dragged someone in the city, but I did, and it's just something you do from time to time in a fast car. I haven't gotten anyone (or been myself) hurt, nor even scratched paint.

Please consider what I've said, and please try to be more thoughtful when you make an assumption.
    2003 RS6 "Silvianna" STaSiS C5, GIAC ECU, K&N filters, "black" exhaust kit, Alpine W505, Alpine R Components, Alpine PDX.400 + PDX.1000, JL 13" slim, Valentine One, 2KW Inverter, All hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by T-elospathic View Post
    I realize that I'm new here, and that you don't know me. I won't speak for the other instance you're referring to, but I'll justify my story with this: I was in his blind spot. Had I not sped up to where he could see me, people could have been killed. The minivan was empty, only a driver (as I passed them at the light). The car in the other lane was full of girls enjoying their night. The minivan was basically in the other car's blind spot.

So let's take a trip to imagination land, and picture two scenarios: 1: I don't get out of his way in time and he slams into my door, and pushes us both off the bridge. Outcome? Pretty bad. 2: I DO get out of his way in time, and he continues in my lane (somehow not slamming into the little barrier and taking himself off the bridge alone) and goes to pass the minivan which was in his lane, then finds out there really isn't room and slams into the car full of girls, or pushes the minivan into oncoming traffic. Outcome? Even worse, more people die/get injured.

Imagination land is fun, such a happy place. The position I placed myself in would have either ended up in him slowing down in time, hitting the rear of my car, or plowing into the rear of the minivan going about 30 MPH faster. Luckily the former happened and he was able to slow down in time, albeit barely so. Those likely don't end up in someone dying (and didn't).

I have to say (if it isn't obvious so far) that I'm a little surprised at LIRS6 and marklar182's responses. You don't know me, and you weren't there in either of the situations you referred to (@LIRS6). I'd appreciate it if you didn't jump to the conclusion that I purposefully put the other driver in harms way. The other driver chooses whether they're in harms way as soon as they decide what their next move is going to be. All you can do is anticipate that move and act accordingly. Sure, I could have NOT dragged someone in the city, but I did, and it's just something you do from time to time in a fast car. I haven't gotten anyone (or been myself) hurt, nor even scratched paint.

Please consider what I've said, and please try to be more thoughtful when you make an assumption.
    In all fairness, you didn't make your philanthropic efforts apparent in your earlier post. Had you done so, I seriously doubt anyone would have incorrectly assumed anything. Myself included. I did reread it and it seems like, from the way you originally told the story, that it might have been partially your fault had an accident occurred.

I had a similar incident occur to me and my family just yesterday on the way back from busch gardens. 4 lane highway, two and two split coming up ahead. We are going leftanf are in the right of the two lanes. I saw this silver Mazda6 acting a fool in my rear view back a ways, and saw him speeding up the left lane of the right split, trying to cut in to the left split. Traffic was already heavy, and there was nowhere for him to safely cut in. At this point we are going 60, and this jackhole decides he is still going to try it(he was a tourist, had no idea where he was going) so I closed my gap a little so he couldn't potentially cause an accident by cutting me off. Does he go right? No, he cuts off the minivan in front of me, nearly hitting the car in front of them. Im not talking a couple feet, he slammed on his brakes, and skidded a little. I honestly don't know how there wasn't an accident. And we are only MAYBE 3-5 cars away from the divider wall when he tries this s#!t. Ok, I'm done.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

When i started this thread my 1st thought was am i going the way of audizine, kill stories etc...there are plenty of knuckleheads in the world. That said, i did not buy the car to sheepishly sit at a light when a NA v6 FWD mofo wants to challenge me at 5:30am in the mornin.....fair game, yes, anyone else in danger NO....my license to lose, yes. From both sides i would say its fair to assume, we all get on our cars when the oppurtunity arises, why else have this much power, and from a safety perspective, smoking a dodo from a light to 60-70 and letting off watch him go by smart...challenging him further with other cars around, DUMB....btw lets keep ethnicity out of it, a dumb ass driver comes in many shapes and colors.....no i am not latino, just saying
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

^^ What speed said. Erratic lane changes, endangering other drivers, etc is different from having a go when the road is wide open, free and clear.

There are too many fast and furious dipshits on the road, resist the urge... do not endanger other drivers.

+2, Speed and Skribe.

I work in a law enforcement-related field and have seen far too many cases of people torn to pieces in twisted hunks of metal that aren't even identifiable as cars as a result of reckless driving, particularly racing. More often than not, it seems, the dead person or persons ends up being an innocent victim who was just minding their own business, driving home from work or whatever, when some reckless a-holio driving like the proverbial bat out of hell causes the crash.

As much as I enjoy smoking fools when the road is wide open and there are no cops around, I always make it a point to drive defensively at all other times.
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude

Quote Originally Posted by vitalian View Post
    As much as I enjoy smoking fools when the road is wide open...

On an open road.... with no cars in front of us as far as the eye could see, I had my first real race in 3 months of owning this car. One of these. http://www.lexus.com/models/ISF/index.html

He seemed dissapointed and stayed back in traffic after I walked away over 100. Especially considering it looked brand new. He was definitely racing me though and was there for a bit in the beginning. Caught up to me later down the road and followed me for awhile. No doubt trying to figure out what the heck is an RS6.

PS - I manual shift in tiptronic mode, ALWAYS. Got the shifting down pretty good. Seems to make a slight difference as I can shift and avoid some of the pause that comes in auto mode.

truth be told, I know I can't afford the power I'm running in my car right now; hence, my desire to pick up an RS6. I did consider taking the Lancer Evo route, particularly as I can map most Japanese aftermarket ECUs. But I'm frankly tired of building cars up from scratch. On the other hand, I have a pretty extensive "kill list" I've racked up on 1/8th and 1/4 mile drags with my Skyline, and I know I can't live with a sensible car without it being able to hold its own against most of the cars out there. I know I won't be smoking exotics anymore, but let's face it - there's a thrill to be had (like on empty limited access roads) in pulling a couple lengths against a worthy opponent...
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo