Thread: Another Front End Clicking question...

Mech Another Front End Clicking question...

The clicking on mine is on the driver side and only clicks when applying the brakes, then clicks once when taking off. I can turn the wheel lock to lock and do not get any clicking. (I do have a popping sound when turning and backing into my driveway, or just backing out of a parking stall, I think that may be the sway bar bushing issue.)

I saw someone mentioned rotors? I thought it may be the pads rocking in the calipers. took the wheel off and pressed the retainers that are around the pads back into place as it looked like they had gotten hot over time and kinda pulled away from the pads. Didn't take the pads out as it was late. that made no difference.

Any ideas?

Was hoping to get with hahnmgh63 sometime soon and see what he can surmise.

I'll give you a call this week as I just got back in town. Sounds to me like control arm bushings though.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Sounds great. call me when you have some time.

I'm going to be investingating the popping sound while turning into/up my driveway and misc other off angle turns. Its not what I have experienced before as CV.

The strangest thing about this, it was raining and it *did not make the pop* Would that indicate its a lubrication issue and the wet weather helped to temporarily lube the area?
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

Okay, replaced the driver side outer CV joint. Guess what, that wasn't the problem. Any more ideas?

Clicking on braking, and one click when taking off from a stop. Rotors? Ball Joint? Stabilizer bar bushing? I am at a loss.

I also replaced pads recently as I thought that may have been the issue. Rotors are toast, but don't have $500 at the moment.
    Last edited by 1 bad 03 rs6; October 5th, 2011 at 16:28. Reason: aditional info

Have you replaced all your control arms? Sounds like a rear control arm...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I have the same issue.

I have replaced the lower rear control arms. Still have the problem. I've checked all tge other control arms as well as sway bar and changed out new subframe bolts.

Definitely a hard click when backing up...

My issue went away during regular maintenance... They found it and were able to replicate it - one of the drivers side control arms. It hasn't done it since though!
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

I will usually be the upper rear inner bushing that makes that sound. The lower rear inner bushings usually last longer. Fwiw, I got new upper inner bushings for $8/ea at advance auto and they were meyle HD bushings. Cheap fix when you have access to a press. If no access, you can still rent a ball joint press kit and it'll do the job.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    I will usually be the upper rear inner bushing that makes that sound. The lower rear inner bushings usually last longer. Fwiw, I got new upper inner bushings for $8/ea at advance auto and they were meyle HD bushings. Cheap fix when you have access to a press. If no access, you can still rent a ball joint press kit and it'll do the job.
    Thanks for the info. I will look into the bushings. Not the quickest fix, but not too hard either. Sucks as I just had it apart.... Guess I should've replaced them at the same time.

Clicking Gone, now in the body shop...

Clicking went away after changing tires and wheels. Go figure. I searched, looked, double checked, triple checked, never saw anything that would cause it. Maybe it was the spacer\wheel combo.

Well, at least I have a new outer CV joint on the driver side.

Now the car is at the body shop. Got into an accident New Years eve. Guy pulled out in front of me at a stop sign. I am so dissappointed.... It is at Paramount Centre in Tacoma. I hope they take good care of the Beast and fix it up right. I don't have any pictures to post here at work. The estimate before taking it apart was $6k, and they said they were putting together a supplemental list now that it's apart to submit for insurance approval.

Man, the headlight assembly is $1k - Crazy!