Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Audi Safety Recall

Audi Safety Recall

Just received my notification from AoA of a safety recall; fuel tank rollover valve nipple prone to cracking, which could lead to fuel leak.

Others have cited leaking fuel tanks in the past - was the valve nipple the culprit, or something else? Weren't gas tanks replaced in some cases? The AoA letter doesn't suggest that the tanks need replacement.
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Got my letter today, too.

Someone posted pics of the fix. They cut two holes out of the back seat area and epoxy the areas prone to crack, etc.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    Someone posted pics of the fix. They cut two holes out of the back seat area and epoxy the areas prone to crack, etc.
    F-that! .........
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Quote Originally Posted by marklar182 View Post
    F-that! .........
    I tend to agree with you. Especially in the cases where they are already leaking. Hell, mine might be not just cracked, but severed and a replacement is in order?

I doubt they will pay to have the stain on the road in front of my house removed/fixed, too.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Yeah I read about this about a month ago, I am hoping my car burns to the ground.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/09/a...el-tank-issue/
    Signal Green RS7

Where do I sign up to have some hack monkey at the local Audi dealer take a jigsaw to the floor in my RS6.

Cut holes in the floor my a$$. Why? Just to save Audi a few dollars not to R&R the tank properly. Then just rub some epoxy over the valve? I will drill holes in my tank first and make them replace the tank.

Oh boy. Where the hell is the MB recall for the E55 fuel tanks that have leaked over and over and over and over again? At least MB was smart enough to put two 10 inch inspection covers over the fuel tanks for faster service points. ha

I just got the letter yesterday as well. The "fix" doesn't sound very nice...

Someone posted a few weeks ago they were able to get their dealership to R & R the tank. Sorry, I forget who.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Lswing? It was one of the newer members.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

PSS9 Faiure?

Has anyone has PSS9's fail or bend on their RS6? So far I have bent the "U" shaped lower mounting bracket on both fronts and blown both rears + one of the new fronts. To date Bilstein has been accommodating by replacing all (expect the newly blown front which I discovered yesterday), but I'm getting frustrated having to continually swap these things out.

Is there anything better out there? Another Bilstein model or another brand with a lower failure rate?

Got my letter yesterday too..not feelin the warm and fuzzys about my RS6 sitting at the dealer waiting for some jagoff to chop a hole it it to fix another hole...gotta think about this one...
    2013 Audi S8

Funny really.

When the Allroads had the fuel tank recall....didnt Audi replace the fuel tanks?

Now that the limited amount of RS6 owners are starting to have the same problem....we get the rub job on the tank. Oh yeah, they have to cut a big hole in our floor to get to the said rub job.

Someone please tell me how gooping up some epoxy over a plastic cap in the gas tank is somehow going to prevent or fix any supposed crack from either forming or seal and supposed crack from fuel leaking out.

Please. Someone tell me how that works.

Complete waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Funny really.

When the Allroads had the fuel tank recall....didnt Audi replace the fuel tanks?

Now that the limited amount of RS6 owners are starting to have the same problem....we get the rub job on the tank. Oh yeah, they have to cut a big hole in our floor to get to the said rub job.

Someone please tell me how gooping up some epoxy over a plastic cap in the gas tank is somehow going to prevent or fix any supposed crack from either forming or seal and supposed crack from fuel leaking out.

Complete waste of time.
    Probably the same method MB uses...
    2013 Audi S8

We recently had a Audi (R)S meeting and there was a mechanic from a dealer present. So I asked about this recall and like all other US recalls there is none here in the Netherlands.

I will bE calling Sonnen on Monday and ask for specifics on the repair. I cannot believe that anyone could be so stupid as to think that would work.

Got my letter today, came with a reimbursement request form for "if previously paid for a repair or tank replacement". Tank replacement sounds better
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post

Complete waste of time.
    Not feeling the warm and fuzzy feeling either!
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by micdee View Post
    We recently had a Audi (R)S meeting and there was a mechanic from a dealer present. So I asked about this recall and like all other US recalls there is none here in the Netherlands.
    same response from audi Uk ........seems like our euro models are better built than the American boys.............not!!!!!!