Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Audi Safety Recall

I'm thinking the same thing, wait until it leaks or burns up, whichever comes first. It can't be safe in a rear end collision with the tank getting crushed and a big hole under your back seat with just a rubber or plastic plug keeping 20 gallons of fuel from taking the path of least resistance and into the car. We'll all burn up like Roman candles.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Correct. A rubber or plastic plug in the floor will seal nothing in the event of a crash. At least my E55 has two 12 inch steel covers that bolt in the floor with 9 or 10 screws.

Trust me, if your gas tank has the leak you will smell it.

They reinforce the nipple so that it doesn't break in a roll-over crash. Ken Garff took the 5 hours to do it right on mine today with an oil change. They basically epoxy a brace around the nipple.. I'll pull my back seat just to see if they cut a hole in my car, but I'm almost 100% positive that they didn't. They also let me drive a Boxster Spyder so I don't miss her too much anyways.

Update: They did it right. There are no holes of any sort cut into my car. Either they did it through one of the 3 access panels, or they had to drop the tank. I pulled the whole back seat and trunk liner out to make sure. The shops aren't owned by Audi, so the more labor, the more they get paid. As long as they're legitimate and don't take the lazy way out and lie about the hours.. just emphasize that if there are holes cut in your car, your lawyer will cut holes in their business. My thoughts, anyways.
    Last edited by T-elospathic; July 5th, 2011 at 23:18.
    2003 RS6 "Silvianna" STaSiS C5, GIAC ECU, K&N filters, "black" exhaust kit, Alpine W505, Alpine R Components, Alpine PDX.400 + PDX.1000, JL 13" slim, Valentine One, 2KW Inverter, All hidden.

I may eventually look into someone else doing it other than a dealer if I can be assured they won't cut into anything. Otherwise I'll take my chances and hope for a leak so I can get a new tank all Epoxied up and installed from underneath without any cuts. I would like to confirm for those that have gotten new tanks because of leaks that the idiots didn't install the tanks first then go back and cut the holes and epoxy them once they were in place? Chung, do you have any holes under your backseat?
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I'll have to look but I doubt it. The recall wasn't official for my service so I think they just replaced the tank and didn't reinforce. At that point I was just happy that Audi picked up the bill so I didn't rock the boat by asking for it to also be reinforced. I received the recall notice and probably will need to get a hole installed in my back seat as well.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Guys. I dont know where this rumor of cutting holes in the floor started, but its not true. They have been doing this fix on A6's and Allroads for years now and have just expanded the recall to the RS6.. The fuek tank is fully accessable by removing the back seat. My SA laughed when I asked about this. They remove the back seat, expoxy the nipple and thats it. He has not had one repaired fuel tank come back for another leak.. Since the nipple is located on top of the tank, cutting holes in the floor would be a bit strange, no?
    The only thing I can think of to explain this would be for Avants. Not sure how this would affect them, but since they were not sold here, there is no recall for them.

Yes they do cut holes in the floor. this shot is from my mechanics attempt.
    The Inv is from the tank replacement and TC. all at $50.00
    They dropped my whole drive train.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TANK INV_1_1_1.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	11521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank_1_1.JPG 
Views:	283 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	11522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TANK INV2_1_1.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	11523  
    Mugello RS6,sound enhancing exhaust,solar sunroof,Platinum Coverage,Eurocharged ECU,MTM TCU ,TC, PSS9, Hotchkis front and rear,EBC Reds, Sportec vents,ACES IV,Fuel tank replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Hy Octane View Post
    Guys. I dont know where this rumor of cutting holes in the floor started, but its not true. They have been doing this fix on A6's and Allroads for years now and have just expanded the recall to the RS6.. The fuek tank is fully accessable by removing the back seat. My SA laughed when I asked about this. They remove the back seat, expoxy the nipple and thats it. He has not had one repaired fuel tank come back for another leak.. Since the nipple is located on top of the tank, cutting holes in the floor would be a bit strange, no?
    The only thing I can think of to explain this would be for Avants. Not sure how this would affect them, but since they were not sold here, there is no recall for them.
    So when you lift up the back seat, you can see the ground under your car?

Quote Originally Posted by AUDI5000CSTQ View Post
    Yes they do cut holes in the floor. this shot is from my mechanics attempt.
    The Inv is from the tank replacement and TC. all at $50.00
    They dropped my whole drive train.
    Looks exactly like my indy said it would...not the end of the world if you can get a rubber plug in there after...
    2013 Audi S8

Anyone had this done? What is the procedure?

David, we talked about this,
    Drop drive train, suspension,exhaust
    Mugello RS6,sound enhancing exhaust,solar sunroof,Platinum Coverage,Eurocharged ECU,MTM TCU ,TC, PSS9, Hotchkis front and rear,EBC Reds, Sportec vents,ACES IV,Fuel tank replaced.

bit of a legal question - why would AOA be obligated to pay for and replace a fuel tank for a car out of warranty, if it were leaking due to clearly a manufacturing defect?
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Ummmm...because of that very reason...

If there were a manufacturing defect in the seatbelts, and it potentially affected a large number of their product, would you expect to hear of a recall?

Also, it protects brand retention. You are more likely to stay with a brand if they fix their shit, or at least try then reimburse you for out of pocket expenses to replace a failed system.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

NHTSB can make any car manufacturer cover anything/anytime they deem to be a safety defect is my understanding. Any lawyers want to chime in??
    210K miles rolled