Thread: Radio Issues - Ipod / Nav / GPS options

Radio Issues - Ipod / Nav / GPS options

New here and have been lurking for a week or so. I just picked up a 2003 RS6 on Saturday!

Issue that came up is the CD player doesn't read CDs. Chalk it up to not putting a CD in there during the test drive / negotiation. I have been going through a few options from leaving it and getting a Dension ipod/USB/AUX box, maybe finding a cheap stocker so I can at least have CDs and still do the Dension. RNS-E is nice but I don't want to spend that kind of money and don't need that type of in dash unit (tomtom for when I need).

I came across this in my search ST-8721:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-D...item3a671bde0f
    http://www.lsqbusiness.com/qqxx/enpr...how.asp?id=156

A little background. I had a 2007 A4 (leased beginning in '06) and I loved it then got into a '08 GTI. There was a group buy setup for something similar to the above for the GTI. In dash NAV, ipod, AUX, BT, etc etc etc. Its not exactly turn key and I had to setup the software myself but the fit/finish was identical to stock. Only the hardcore GTI guys would know its different. While my experience with the unit in the GTI was great - others had a few issues and support is difficult since these are drop shipped from China. When I say "cheap Chinese knockoff" I mean it. These are certainly cheap and a great deal for what you get but there lies the risk.

Anyone try one of these? Of course they say it'll work with Bose but will it really? I am also pretty sure that it'll throw a radio code for the antenna. If I remember right there is a dual farka adapter that can be bought

-Greg

Greg,

I have seen our factory units refurbished for about $150 direct from audi. I will try to find the link...I think that would be the way to go for you.

Stephen

Thanks! I have found one for $39 and another for $50 which are both used/refurb but should be in working order. They have the TAPE instead of the SAT button though.

-Greg

Welcome to the forum. Can you update your location? I'd stick with the refurbed oem units. When you say it won't read a cd, will it just come up with error? Or will the cd not even go in? If the former, go buy a cd drive cleaner. It's a cd that has little soft bristles on it that clean the laser lens.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Updated location!

It accepts them and I can hear the drive searching then after a good minute it comes up with 'Error 2.' I'll certainly try a cleaner. I figure if I can get a cheap refurb I'll be in good enough shape with a Dension. When/if I go with that, I will see if the code is written on the HU itself. If it is I will probably pull it completely out, open it up, and see what I can do about potentially cleaning it further.

I am strangely drawn toward the 8721 unit for a little more than 2x the cost of the Dension though. Fit, finish, operation... all amazing on the other unit I had. Best feature? You could just burn MP3s onto a DVD-R and it would read. I had 2-3 DVDs I just kept in the car with audio on them. SD cards are good for quick copy/go.

-Greg

Welcome aboard the

210K miles rolled

Is this an option for a drop in replacement?
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-...ereo/ES365825/

No search results for the Audi PN 4B0035195J. I don't care if I lose SAT since its not there anyway. I don't mind the $40 risk - if I don't hear anything I'll just buy it and try.

Other thing to start poking around is the solar sunroof. Doesn't appear to be working! I know there are contacts at the sunroof forward opening so I can actually put up a multimeter and make sure the panels are actually producing electricity. If thats the case and its still not working I won't really know where to go - BUT I already have other plans. I will end up wiring in a 12V electric heater to the panels. If the panels could provide enough juice for it to keep the inside of the car at even 35* during the cold of winter I will be happy. Simple switch should do it or even use a temperature switch so it'll swap between hot=heater, cold=regular vent...

-Greg

No reason that head unit on ecs shouldnt work. Hell, that would be a steal for anyone wanting to just switch faceplates with their current head unit if its all scratched up...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    No reason that head unit on ecs shouldnt work. Hell, that would be a steal for anyone wanting to just switch faceplates with their current head unit if its all scratched up...
    I have seen suggestions that redirected to the units that didn't have SAT buttons and I found some things stating that just the SAT won't work. I'm ok with that. 'm taking the chance so I'll make sure I let people know how it goes and works with the Bose.

Worst that happens? I don't have the CD code for the old radio and the new one won't work. Resell the old one and try to get the code for free!

-Greg

I think you will be ok.

I actually think the unit you will receive will have the SAT button on it. The letter code suggests the latest model which will have SAT, the photo is probably just a stock photo. I am going to order one just to have at that price.

Stephen

I just replaced the factory unit in my car with an Alpine unit. It has the sat button if you're interested. Only thing is, I'll be out of town until July 4 weekend, so I wouldn't be able to send it until then.

Quote Originally Posted by bmlee007 View Post
    I just replaced the factory unit in my car with an Alpine unit. It has the sat button if you're interested. Only thing is, I'll be out of town until July 4 weekend, so I wouldn't be able to send it until then.
    Thanks for the offer! If the one that arrives I can certainly hold out until then.

I found the issue with the warm weather not working either. The terminal in the sunroof rail on the drivers side is pretty corroded and 'stuck' whereas the passenger side is clean and will move up/down. I found the HVAC troubleshooting guide and will test out the panel itself and if its working I will need to find that part.

It was nice having a car with no little things but I like these little things - as long as they stay little! I also missed the smell of Zaino leather treatment on hot leather!!

-Greg

I got the unit in and it is exactly as pictured here with no SAT button. I don't use the SAT so no big deal.

First thing is first - take out any CDs from the old unit!

R&R the units. What did trip me up was putting in the code. ECS provided it but all searches said to have it display the familiar 'SAFE' and then press/hold P.SCAN and RBDS. Well, this unit does not have those buttons. I found that you press/hold AS/RDS and it will enter the code input screen. Do not press AS/RDS again until you have put the code in. The regular buttons used to select radio station will cycle 1-9 so press the button until you have the correct digit, then move to the next number.

I then pressed and held AS/RDS and it booted right into AM and I could change to FM, put stations/settings and CDs in. Shutdown and start back up and it displayed BOSE (unsure if this is default to what unit you take out or if its in the head unit itself)

All happy with regular CDs now! Now to find an AUX input solution
    -Greg
    2003 RS6