Thread: Front end passenger side wiggle

Front end passenger side wiggle

2002 S6

Within the past 5K I've done the timing belt service (thanks terrytcl for the tools!), KW ST coilovers, upper and lower control arms/tie rod ends, new passenger side axle, new wheels and tires and an alignment (have yet to replace rear driver's side toe arm due to seized bolt). Treadwear on the tires is fine. I had the wiggle when I bought the car and still have it after doing the maintenance.

I feel the vibration through the steering wheel when sitting at a light with the car in drive, not so much when accelerating but it becomes mega noticeable through the wheel and floor when at 50+mph.

Checked the trans mounts, they're okay for a car with 120K. Front driver's side motor mount is good, front passenger mount is leaking a tiny bit but no CEL. We tried to adjust the "snub mount" to see if that helped but it only alleviated a bit of a shake while sitting still in drive.

Any ideas what it could be?

I know it's not an RS6 driver's cup of tea, but here are two pictures.

Anyone? Rear toe arm has been replaced, alignment Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rictus View Post
    Anyone? Rear toe arm has been replaced, alignment Monday.
    Was that it?

EDIT:
    That photo looks like either Carmel, CA or Pacific Grove, CA.
    I spent a couple of days up there in the late 1990's at the World Superbike Races when Carl Fogarty and Colin Edwards and Troy Bayliss would fight it out.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

No, that didn't seem to be the issue.

That was actually in Helen, GA at Southern Worthersee this year.

I'd take a look at your outer tie rods and upper rear control arms...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Strange you still get the vibration even when not moving, but I would call CV Joints. You didn't mention whether you had replaced them or not. My Allroad had all kinds of strange Noises and vibrations which I could not pinpoint. My first fix was to replace Front axes and Joints. Instantly all issues went away. This may not be your issue, since you get vibrations even when not moving. But I would certainly eliminate that possibility. By the way that S6 Avant(Wagon) is Brutal Looking. I absolutely love it. The Stance and everything is perfect. Almost makes me want to get one and drop a supercharger in it. That's how much I really love it. Good Luck with the Diagnosis.................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    I'd take a look at your outer tie rods and upper rear control arms...
    They're all brand new, along with the front passenger side axle.

Quote Originally Posted by Elevens View Post
    Strange you still get the vibration even when not moving, but I would call CV Joints. You didn't mention whether you had replaced them or not. My Allroad had all kinds of strange Noises and vibrations which I could not pinpoint. My first fix was to replace Front axes and Joints. Instantly all issues went away. This may not be your issue, since you get vibrations even when not moving. But I would certainly eliminate that possibility. By the way that S6 Avant(Wagon) is Brutal Looking. I absolutely love it. The Stance and everything is perfect. Almost makes me want to get one and drop a supercharger in it. That's how much I really love it. Good Luck with the Diagnosis.................
    I thought it was the passenger side outer CV joint, so I replaced the whole axle assembly since that was the cheapest option... Nothing changed.

Thanks for the kind words about the car! Once I finish my GTI twin turbo project I may look more seriously at the PES kit for the S6.

It wouldn't be something in the suspension if you get the shake sitting stopped at an intersection? You said you get it at a light while stopped in drive. It would have to be an engine or tranny mount I would think since the suspension & CV Joints are doing anything at a stop, nor are any of the drivelines moving while your sitting there at a light. If the motor mount is leaking I would think that is most likely the culprit. I would start with replacing the motor mounts, at that mileage they are both probably due.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rictus View Post
    2002 S6

Within the past 5K I've done the timing belt service (thanks terrytcl for the tools!), KW ST coilovers, upper and lower control arms/tie rod ends, new passenger side axle, new wheels and tires and an alignment (have yet to replace rear driver's side toe arm due to seized bolt). Treadwear on the tires is fine. I had the wiggle when I bought the car and still have it after doing the maintenance.

I feel the vibration through the steering wheel when sitting at a light with the car in drive, not so much when accelerating but it becomes mega noticeable through the wheel and floor when at 50+mph.

Checked the trans mounts, they're okay for a car with 120K. Front driver's side motor mount is good, front passenger mount is leaking a tiny bit but no CEL. We tried to adjust the "snub mount" to see if that helped but it only alleviated a bit of a shake while sitting still in drive.

Any ideas what it could be?

I know it's not an RS6 driver's cup of tea, but here are two pictures.
    I think you said it already...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Yeah, I forgot that hr said it happened while he was stopped. Definitely motor mounts.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Wouldn't I have a CEL if the mount was leaking enough to have failed?

I appreciate the feedback! I'm asking the question above to learn more about this car.

Not necessarily.

A bad mount won't trigger a CEL, but will usually store a DTC.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Ah, I see.

I'll have to VAG-COM the car and see what I find.

Thanks!

Finally had a chance last night to install the Stern Soft motor mounts... nothing has changed. Still vibrates at idle and I get more vibrations when cruising at 75mph. I know the mounts have to break in a bit and I'll be readjusting them today. I hope this problem is solved!
    Last edited by Mr. Rictus; July 22nd, 2011 at 19:01.

I had this when mine was too low on PSS9s. Raising the car resolved the issue.

For info, this was too low:

Wow, seeing that RS6 wagon really makes me want to get the front and rear bumpers and skirts for my S6.

I had the wiggling before I lowered the car, I failed to mention that in my first post.