Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RS6-speed

RS6-speed

Well another idiot starts the adventure!

Here's a set of pictures from today's action at Imola Motorsports in Minneapolis. We made quite a bit of headway before we got stuck with three broken triple squares trying to take the tone ring off the engine. Some heat and Snap-On should solve that problem on Monday.

Anyhow, we got started about 8:30 and had the engine dropped by 11:00. Took a lunch break until about 1:00, separated the transmission, tried the tone ring and switched to doing some general cleanup.

All I can say is I'm happy I have a beast of a mechanic (Jeff) on my side! This car has more hoses, lines, electrical hooksups, etc. that I've ever seen. Quite the tight fit too.

Here was the sequence (in rough order):

1.) Remove the front bumper, wheel well trim, passenger headlight.
    2.) Loosen the radiator assembly.
    3.) Start taking lines and electrical fittings off - plenty of them and well baked on.
    4.) Remove suspension & half shafts.
    5.) Revmove rear exhaust, heat shields, etc.
    6.) Remove drive shaft.
    7.) Drain oil, pull AC down, remove AC lines.
    8.) Place cart under the engine.
    9.) Get a bunch of guys and figure out what's going to hit, what lines are still connected.
    10.) Raise car off engine.
    11.) Admire big lump of steel and aluminum on cart.
    12.) Go to Mort's for a pastrami on rye and a business meeting in greasy clothes. Don't get much business done - just talk about cars instead.
    13.) Split engine - required removing passenger turboand splitting drivers side from manifold.
    14.) Remove ECU from harness so someone can figure the 6-speed programming out.

A couple items that need some attention - valve cover gaskets, cam tensioner seals, a goofy little pump - drivers side. Turbos look great with 90K on them.

Monday's list - Valve covers, plugs, water pipe & seals, get the tone ring off, install flywheel, install adapter ring, install clutch, mate engine and transmission, install pedals in car, install gear selector.

That's about it for now. See the Flickr link below for the pictures and a two minute stop-motion video of the engine pull.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norcost...57626809400109

very exciting carbonman. Keep us updated!
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Wowza!!! Thanks for sharing. Good luck with the continued swap out!
    210K miles rolled

Try this for the video - Flickr decided to cut mine short.

http://www.schindlerfamily.com/RS6/enginepull.wmv

What a great series of photos!

Who's the guy who spends most of his time leaning on the fender? LOL....Looks like he may be made of Carbon?

Gotta love the mechanic wearing flip flops! Ouch my toe hurts just watching.

Nice to have an experienced mechanic and a great garage to work in!

Keep the clips coming!

Mike

You had a fairly heavy oil leak there. I'm surprised that so many have had the right valve cover leak and at 67K mine is completely dry. I'm gonna replace both gaskets anyways while the engine's out, hope I don't jinx myself.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

God-speed!!!!

Head gunk scaper

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    What a great series of photos!

Who's the guy who spends most of his time leaning on the fender? LOL....Looks like he may be made of Carbon?

Gotta love the mechanic wearing flip flops! Ouch my toe hurts just watching.

Nice to have an experienced mechanic and a great garage to work in!

Keep the clips coming!

Mike
    That obvious huh? I was just resting for when I could apply my vast skill set - scraping the gunk off dirty parts that Jeff pulls off I gotta tell you, it's pretty fun watching a guy like Jeff work - awe inspiring. He had that engine out so fast it made my head spin. It's kind of like being on a dude ranch only with cars....maybe there's a business model hiding in there?

Yes, a great business model.

Let's see...

"Work With your Mechanic...$extra per hour"

"Garage and Mechanic...$per hour"

"Garage and Guro...$per hour"

That would be great fun! You get expert help, great tools, a lift and still can claim DIY!!!

Great project you are doing, looking forward to video of you driving and SHIFTING!!

Mike

Love it, 2.5 hours to pull the engine, yet the book quotes something like 21 hours in and out. So are you and the Imola mechanic doing this together? Discount on labor? Looks like a great project. Besides the transmission swap and VCG's anything else planned while the engine is out?

Interesting he dropped the subframe as opposed to pulling it from the front. I guess it is easier with a lift this way?

Looks great Erik. I can't wait to get back into my project as well.

I'm even more amazed at all the guys in the time lapse and not one nut scratched or nose picked. lol.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    I'm even more amazed at all the guys in the time lapse and not one nut scratched or nose picked. lol.
    Those were edited out...
    2013 Audi S8

Monday lunchtime report:

We're making good headway today. New valve cover gaskets went on as well as new cam tensioner seals. We ordered the little coolant reverse flow solenoid valve as it's leaking. That will be here Wednesday - $250, ouch (RS6 tax). We also got the flywheel installed. I'll get pictures tonight.

This afternoon we'll install the clutch and mate the transmission to the engine. We'll also pull the auto gear selector and get the manual gearbox installed. Then we'll be waiting until Wednesday for the pump to show as we can't reinstall the engine until that's here.

Evening update

Well, another day down. A bit shorter today - valve covers, cam tensioner seals, flywheel installed, clutch installed and tranny mated to the engine. We hit a bt of a snag with the starter. There is an oil line and a coolant line that the solenoid interfers with. We'll take a look at it tomorrow and see if we can come up with a resolution. The engine's looking like it should have from the start!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2589..jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	11423
    Engine with valve cover off

Name:	eng03..jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	11421
    Tone ring / flywheel

Name:	IMG_2602..jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	11419
    Heating PITA bolts - broke three bits yesterday, came out like butter today?

Name:	IMG_2603..jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	11424
    Ready for flywheel

Name:	IMG_2610..jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	11418
    Installed clutch - Spec Stage 3+

Name:	IMG_2616..jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	11420

Name:	IMG_2614..jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	11422
    Adapter ring installed
    I neglected to take a picture with the engine and tranny mated - I'll get one tomorrow. So far about 13-14 hours into the project. Moving along!

Hey Erik

I'm Glad to see my Steel Flywheel worked out perfect for ya. Any pictures of it being installed? That way people can see it the Difference.

If anyone else interested in Steel Flywheel over Aluminum for the Swap. Please email me.

Our car has been together for a couple weeks now and Drives great. Definitely would use Steel over Aluminum as a Daily driver.

BTW if anyone with a RS6 is Interested in driving the Car, It's 100% finished and ready to be test driven. No PRNDS lights on, or issues at all.

Also not to forget, The car made 440whp on a Dynopak, only mods are 91 EPL tune, and Piggies (and Steel flywheel)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@ravenms View Post
    Hey Erik

I'm Glad to see my Steel Flywheel worked out perfect for ya. Any pictures of it being installed? That way people can see it the Difference.

If anyone else interested in Steel Flywheel over Aluminum for the Swap. Please email me.

Our car has been together for a couple weeks now and Drives great. Definitely would use Steel over Aluminum as a Daily driver.

BTW if anyone with a RS6 is Interested in driving the Car, It's 100% finished and ready to be test driven. No PRNDS lights on, or issues at all.

Also not to forget, The car made 440whp on a Dynopak, only mods are 91 EPL tune, and Piggies (and Steel flywheel)
    Dennis and I are planning on driving up on Saturday June 18th in the morning for a visit to Raven and OEMPlus...
    It will be either 1 or 2 RS6....

Anyone else gonna caravan up?
    Brav(Chris)?
    born2be(Wade)?
    benman(Ben)?
    Shawn(Shawn)?
    audi5000csqt(John)?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

WOW, your valve train is CLEAN! No Sludge! That's very nice!

Great pics...

Tranny setup looks great!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    WOW, your valve train is CLEAN! No Sludge! That's very nice!

Great pics...

Tranny setup looks great!

Mike
    Agreed!! Very clean!!!!
    Aces my friend, Aces...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared