Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Audi A1 clubsport quattro Concept

2002 RS6 was a TwinTurbo V8, 4WD.

After all these years of convincing the world that N/A engines are best and that RWD rules, your king, 2012 M5 will be...ummmm?

I <3 the 5cyl motor

If this car ever goes into production albeit in a watered down form, I will def get one
    2010 Audi S4 ( Ibis White ) | 2011 Audi RS 3 ( Misano Red )
    ex : 2011 Audi RS 3 ( Ibis White ) | 2010 Audi S3 (Ibis White) | 2007 Audi S3 ( Ibis White ) | 2007 Audi TT ( Ibis White ) | 2006 Audi A3 2.0T ( Brilliant Red )

Banned
    "The best engine manufacturer on the planet needed 1.5 bar of boost from a bi-turbo system for it's 4,4L V8 block to achieve 555bhp. "

It also has a torque curve as flat as Kansas. Max torque from 1500 all they way to 6000. You can slap a big turbo on anything and have it make big power, which is not necessarily an impressive engineering feat. Its how the engines power delivery is engineered. BMW motors are smooth a with linear power delivery, and have peak power and torque in all the right places...hence all the awards.

"After all these years of convincing the world that N/A engines are best and that RWD rules, your king, 2012 M5 will be" .......The benchmark.

The world changes, BMW cannot control oil prices. If they are to remain independent they have to adapt. Plus BMW was the first german manufacture to utilize turbos in a production car.

Yes, they were the first to use turbo engines, and i'm not doubting that they were brilliant engines, but it seems that all of the engineering know how of building turbo engines have gone. Just look at inline 6 turbos, too many issues with bi-turbo charging, then came the twin power turbo but all of that for what? Making 100hp/L...There is no need for the complicated in-V twin turbo system of the 4.4 engine either. With inside exhaust side, it can be done with one turbo as well, just see Audis R18 engine, huge turbo pressure, and only slight lag due to VTG turbo. And you mention flat torque curve...Maximal torque from 2500-5300 is not flat enough in a racing engine? Most diesels are only dreaming of that torque band. Technologies like twin power turbo are useless in practice.
    5 Audis so far...currently:
    2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI Multitronic

Quote Originally Posted by F10V8TT View Post
    "The best engine manufacturer on the planet needed 1.5 bar of boost from a bi-turbo system for it's 4,4L V8 block to achieve 555bhp. "

It also has a torque curve as flat as Kansas. Max torque from 1500 all they way to 6000. You can slap a big turbo on anything and have it make big power, which is not necessarily an impressive engineering feat. Its how the engines power delivery is engineered. BMW motors are smooth a with linear power delivery, and have peak power and torque in all the right places...hence all the awards.
    Audi have been doing flat torque curve since as long ago as the original TT. Who's following who here?

BMW FI motors are smooth with a linear power delivery, compared with what????????? Read comparisons between their 335i and the S4 to hear who's engine is the smoothest with the most linear delivery. Audi adapt their FI technology to suit the application, something that BMW haven't quite grasped.

Sure BMW do well in these awards but the same is also true for VAG. If you actually looked at which brand bring the latest engine technologies first I would say it's all but even, somethings Audi are first whilst in others it's BMW. I will admit that BMW adapt their technologies to mainstream quicker which is why they enjoyed a period of having no rivals to their brilliant 35d engine. Another thing I will conceed is that they understood the importance of weight in performance motors long ago, something Audi have only truly woke up to, but now they are awake I wouldn't be betting against them on being top dog in the weight department. Speaking of which, what is the weight of the next M5, is it as light as the last one?

Quote Originally Posted by F10V8TT View Post
    "After all these years of convincing the world that N/A engines are best and that RWD rules, your king, 2012 M5 will be" .......The benchmark.

The world changes, BMW cannot control oil prices. If they are to remain independent they have to adapt. Plus BMW was the first german manufacture to utilize turbos in a production car.
    BULLSHIT, BMW have finally woke up to the reality that for their M5 to compete with the RS6 on it's power level it needed to make the option of AWD available. 575hp going to the rear axle on a thing weighing two tons could only equal one thing, shredded tires.

As for the switch to turbo, well I bet Audi welcome this as it proves that their years of using the technology was no only ahead of the curve but was the right decision after all.

Lets wait and see what Audi offer us with the next RS6 to see who's the dad.

Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

Banned
    "Just look at inline 6 turbos, too many issues with bi-turbo charging, then came the twin power turbo but all of that for what? Making 100hp/L">>
    > >
    The only Issue with the twin turbo 6 was a fuel pump recall. The N55(the twin turbo motor) has won the International engine of the year award 4 years in a row in its category. And was the first turbo motor to utilize direct injection along with valvetronic, while using a magnesium crank to reduce weight. While producing max torque from 1200 to 5000rpm.>>
    > >
    BMW came out with the twin power turbo b/c it was more efficient, and what wrong with 100hp/L 99% of people who buy these car use them to go to work and back…it’s not meant to be a racecar, plus Audis 3.0T has the same stats in regards’ to power output per liter..>>
    > >
    “There is no need for the complicated in-V twin turbo system of the 4.4 engine either”>>
    > >
    For one it makes the engine packaging more compact, and having two small turbos reduces lag while increasing low end torque. Audi/Bentley’s new 4.0T will surprise..feature turbos in the V of the engine, and have single and twin turbo versions as well.>>
    > >
    Speaking of which, what is the weight of the next M5, is it as light as the last one? referrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600">ath o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f">ath>>>
    > >
    True, Audi did one up BMW with the use of aluminum in their current model lineup, but BMW will leap-frog them with their next generation of cars, b/c BMW is leading in the development of carbon fiber for mass production, along with other light weight technologies. >>
    > >
    “BMW have finally woke up to the reality that for their M5 to compete with the RS6 on it's power level it needed to make the option of AWD available. 575hp going to the rear axle on a thing weighing two tons could only equal one thing, shredded tires.”>>
    > >
    The RS6 was only faster than the M5 in a straight line, put them on a track and they will be within a second of each other despite the 75hp and 100lb/ft difference between the two. The M5 is the more overall balanced machine.>>
    >>
    “As for the switch to turbo, well I bet Audi welcome this as it proves that their years of using the technology was no only ahead of the curve but was the right decision after all.”>>
    >>
    What about Audis switch from turbos to high revving engines over the last 6 years, and now back to turbos..>>
    >>
    “Lets wait and see what Audi offer us with the next RS6 to see who's the dad.”>>
    > >
    BMW’s development budget for the F10 M5 has been massive; it has been track testing the new M5 for over 3 years now. Other cars may come out and be quicker in a straight line, but around a track, and in terms of balance the M5 will be in a class of its own.>>
    > >
    Here is a sneak peak.>>
    > >
    xxx>>

Here is another video.. This time the making of it..!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ye3w...layer_embedded

Enjoy

The best seeling M cars are now AWD.

"Sports cars" like the X5 M and X6 M.
    AWD, V8, TT...heavy.

And now the F10 V8 TT will come with the AWD option as well, at least according to rumors.
    I've attended M driving days with people telling me the benefits of RWD only, I wonder if they will be out of a job now or adapt to management?
    Or start working for MB?

With 400 hp + people are tired of staring at the flashing ESP while accelerating.

I rest my case.

And, oh, something tells me we've banned the user "F10V8TT" once or twice before. Good try. I spotted you on your first post, I hope you enjoyed the life of 4.

Let's go back to discussing the A1.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

^
    why did u ban him?! it's not his fault he's living in the past and inexperience... did he offend anyone with that?

^ I thought him entertaining because on every point it was so easy to counter. Probably best to have not brought up the M5 though, especially as they are including AWD. Oh and on the subject of this brilliant engine, it is ingenious you know but I wonder what tuning potential it has, heat will surely be an issue for both this and Audi's new v8 with it's turbo/s inboard. Why not switch to the latest supercharging technology that's combining a gearbox.

And the award to the most smilies used in one post goes to

F10V8TT

Unfortunately he is no longer here to accept this award.

I could definitely turn in the CBR for that as a new commuter! I wonder how watered down it will actually be once (if) it is released?
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

My little finger who was recently at Ingolstadt was told that Audi is not the only company which put an 5 cylinders 2,5l 500hp engine in an A1...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Balsen View Post
    My little finger who was recently at Ingolstadt was told that Audi is not the only company to put an 5 cylinders 2,5l 500hp engine in an A1...
    hahah WOW I really wanted to see your reply in this thread

Not only will that be insane in an A1, what you're basically saying is that 500 really is possible with some magic from Wettstetten...

Is there even the slightest chance that we'll see this engine in a production A1?

Quote Originally Posted by rs-6 View Post
    Is there even the slightest chance that we'll see this engine in a production A1?
    No chance. Sorry.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

frederik. don't take this badly but "mon petit doigt m'a dit" doesn't traduce well in english with "my little finger ...". expressions don't traduce well literally. To be honest I do'nt know how to best traduce in english what you want to say... but i'm sure there is a better way....

don't take this personally its really to make things better not to complaign or anything negative...

I think you could say in english (english speaking guys please helps here)... "a little bird told me" or i've heard something like "by the pricking of my thumb...." as well as a good way to say what frederic wants to say...
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

LoL, I've always loved information coming from THE little finger...thought it was something unique. Didn't know it was actually a wrong (?) translation

Anyways, looking forward to new information from THE little finger! Or the little bird, or whatever...