Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Torque Converter Story (kinda long)

Torque Converter Story (kinda long)

Yes, i have endlessly read here about TC fails so I was not shocked. But some how always thinking (hoping), that happens to the "other guys" the ones who are thrashing the tranny with duck foot rat launches, top gear-like power-slides, and general hooliganism. With multiple track days and rocket rides down most on-ramps, I am no angel and sure enough, the TC CEL came to roost. I mean really, this is like death and taxes, its going to hit us all at some point. Hit with that realization, off to the dealership for the bill. The happy ending to this story comes in the form of the Fidelity Platinum Warranty, the adjuster approved the fix, additionally I had them do the timing belt and sundry bits while the lump is out, and we are on the way, or so I thought... I get a call from the dealer "Mr Beastly its all back together but we hear this very strange grinding noise..." After conferring with HQ they determine that the TC is bad and they need to do it all over! To top it off they run a long screw thru a short nut and put a hole in my fender requiring a fix and new paint. As bad as that all sounds, In all I was very well taken care of by the dealer, they were in good communication and made everything right. Also I got to use that $500 promo card (I am sure we all got one) for 15% off parts and 15% off labor applied to the belt job. The TC cost me a $100 deductible + consumables -> priceless. With 36K on the clock, a new TC, new lifetime trans fluid (haha), new TB, new oil, coolant, alignment, a very shinny left fender, power steering fluid, a few more years and 40K on the warranty to go, and other bits, the car is like new and I am loving it.

Also did the Sporteck mod on the belly pan as I had three weeks of RS6 down time, can not yield data to the cooling power but I am sure I saw some frost forming on the block after a good run
    SOLD - 2003 RS6 Black on Black / SE / Solar / Carbon / APR ECU + TCU / Wagner Intercoolers / Fog light delete / RNS-E / LED tails / Clear Corners / Sportek Cooling / itg filters /

Happy ending to say the least! glad it worked out and your off and driving,, enjoy
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's

My TC also failed around 38K and was replaced. I did not notice it failed, except for the CEL, which dealer confirmed TC needed replacement.
    I don't over extend the beast with power launching and the like, so it was quite a surprise to me as well.
    So far no more worries, and hope to keep it that way.

Glad to hear all is back and well with your beast.

Didn't end so well for me. My TC and valve body was just replaced about a month ago. All seemed fine until a few days ago when i decided to nail it while in 2nd she revved to 6500RPM with very little increase in acceleration and then banged into 3rd. What the hell is this I'm saying to myself. Floored it again, same thing. Checked for codes, none. Bought it back to the shop, only for them to determine that the Clutches are slipping. Damn Damn Damn. I knew I should have had the Box rebuilt when it was out, but didn't listen to myself. The Warranty company covered the last time, will they cover it this time, I don't know. What ever happens, I am sending it to either IPT or Leve10 for a complete Performance Rebuild. Does anyone have an opinion on either one? Let me know. These cars are fantastic, but the Tranny is Trash..........................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

I know most people, even S4 guys are now staying away from Level 10. A few guys have had problems with IPT but better luck than level 10. Check out http://www.517trans.com/ The S4 guys making lots of power swear buy him. And of course there is Tozo on this list that people swear buy too.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

The only real solution to this problem....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01E..jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	11375

01E

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I know most people, even S4 guys are now staying away from Level 10. A few guys have had problems with IPT but better luck than level 10. Check out http://www.517trans.com/ The S4 guys making lots of power swear buy him. And of course there is Tozo on this list that people swear buy too.

Thanks Hahnmgh63. I just gave the boys over at 517trans a call. They sound pretty impressive. I will definitely consider them. I will also see what Tozo has to say. Please everyone learn from my experience, if the Tranny is out REBUILD IT. And maybe you won't have to go through the same grief and expense as I am going to have to go through now.................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Wow that was a low mileage TC failure!

I stumbled on a TC code with routine Vag-com scan. Mine was not locking but the CEL did not come on.
    I had 102,000 miles at that time! I was lucky. TC replaced on warrantee. Going strong at 114,000 miles!

Mike

Elevens, I can attest for a short period of time owning a custom level 10 tranny and TQ. It came with the wreck I bought. I beat on it a couple of times, no issues so far, not cheap...the version in mine was built to handle 800chp, $9k. But I have read some bad issues on audizine. 517 is one of the other partners or head mechanics that left level10, my mechanic likes level 10. Tough call, but he'll I have heard nothing but good things about 517
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrapped View Post
    Elevens, I can attest for a short period of time owning a custom level 10 tranny and TQ. It came with the wreck I bought. I beat on it a couple of times, no issues so far, not cheap...the version in mine was built to handle 800chp, $9k. But I have read some bad issues on audizine. 517 is one of the other partners or head mechanics that left level10, my mechanic likes level 10. Tough call, but he'll I have heard nothing but good things about 517

Thanks for the Feedback Speedtrapped. Yes some of the feedback on Level 10 is not good. So I will probably stay away from them. And yes all the feedback on 517 is good. Spoke to Sam at 517 and was very convincing. Problem is, all these Audi Tranny re builders ( 517, Level 10 ,IPT) are located in New Jersey. Over a thousand miles from me. And my guy down hear only knows to remove the Box by by removing the engine and then I would have to Crate and ship it. Where as those guys know how to do it without removing the engine, much more desirable to me. The less you take my car apart, the better. So I am thinking about driving it up there, leaving it and let them do the work. He quoted me a 2 week turnaround time, which seems like a rather long time. But if the job is to be done properly I guess you have to wait. We'll see. I'll keep you all Informed..................

You should talk with TozoM8. He can do the drop, rebuild of tranny and TC in about a week for a very reasonable amount.

I'm not quite sure how 517 or Level 10 claim to double the strength of the transmission. I can see tougher clutches and some other items that may give a marginal gain - but double? I don't buy it, unless they're replacing all the internals with custom fabricated specialty components, which I don't think is the case.

Talk with TozoM8, he specializes in ZF transmissions and has a lot of good information that's worth listening to.

My car is not shifting properly and is "slipping" now that the engine is producing more powa. I am starting to think I should have just made a big pile of cash and burned it.

Quote Originally Posted by 716YETI View Post
    My car is not shifting properly and is "slipping" now that the engine is producing more powa. I am starting to think I should have just made a big pile of cash and burned it.

Yea it gets a little discouraging Yeti. These cars are fantastic when they run right. And the Tranny is definitely the weak spot. Get that sorted out with a complete rebuild and you should be happy. I am in the process of doing that now. My Warranty company has indicated they may cover me again If I can provide proof on internal damage. Very encouraging since they just covered me for a TC and Valve body install. Any way don't let it get you down. Its just the price you pay for driving a super car.

When you say "complete" rebuild is that $9000.00 mentioned in post #9? That seems insane and it better be f**king bullet proof after that kind of money! When I talked to level10 about valve body work they wouldn't give me a price but they did say about $3000-$4000.
    I do have an aftermarket TC but it is slipping, is that because of the valve bodies or is it shot? It slips when into the boost and sometimes it slams into gear or falls out of gear, etc. It seems kind of random really.

If it's slipping...stop driving it. I will only make it worse and possibly hurt something else...As far as the RS6 tranny goes, I have never heard of a rebuild OTHER than with all stock parts. AND if you rebuild something with all stock parts, how can it handle more than stock power? Just an observation...

You really have to love these cars to deal with this tranny crap. Either love them or hate them...
    2013 Audi S8

Stopping driving it shouldn't be a big deal seeing as how I have owned it for 2 months and have driven it about a hundred miles... Writing For Sale thread. (joking... sort of.)

Quote Originally Posted by 716YETI View Post
    When you say "complete" rebuild is that $9000.00 mentioned in post #9? That seems insane and it better be f**king bullet proof after that kind of money! When I talked to level10 about valve body work they wouldn't give me a price but they did say about $3000-$4000.
    I do have an aftermarket TC but it is slipping, is that because of the valve bodies or is it shot? It slips when into the boost and sometimes it slams into gear or falls out of gear, etc. It seems kind of random really.
    I would say a complete rebuild is in the $4000-5000 range. Not certain since I have not done it yet. But $9000 seems rather extreme and I would never go that high. Mine slips but only under WOT. Drive it normally and she shifts normally. Going back to the shop on Tuesday and we'll see from there....

As far as I know, the level 10 i have read about, again, I have seen PO receipt, the rebuild is extra clutch packs, hardened output shaft, plus a modified TC, valve body. Not worth 9k, hmm I wouldn't of, I would of done a conversion, but I paid very little with 4k miles on it, and I have started to do hard launches, and in 3 weeks the car is going to airstrip, I will be putting tranny to test.
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)