Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S1 spotted undisguised

S1 spotted undisguised

Audi S1 spotted undisguised

Flagship four-wheel drive hot hatchback is caught undisguised

It's the ultimate A1 – and these are the best pictures yet of the hot hatch that will take the fight to MINI's John Cooper Works and the upcoming VW Polo R.This is the new Audi S1, which our spies have caught undergoing testing at the Nurburgring circuit in Germany. Although painted a subtle shade of dark blue, it's obviously no ordinary small Audi – just check out the wider tracks, wider rubber, lowered suspension and twin rear exhaust pipes.

Likely to make its debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show later this year, the S1 is expected to pack quattro four-wheel drive and a 220bhp 1.6-litre turbocharged petrol engine. That would make it the only all-wheel drive car in its class and the most powerful too.

With 220bhp on from a new 1.6-litre unit – the same engine will be used in the Polo R – the S1 should be able to do 0-60mph in just six seconds with a top speed of around 140mph. A six-speed manual gearbox or an optional six-speed automatic (which the A1 quattro will also use) are thought to be the transmission choices.

There's no word on price but expect the S1 to kick off at around £23,000.

Last edited by Joker; May 19th, 2011 at 09:49.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

AE has the same thinking as myself in that it will run a 1.6L engine instead of the 2.0L unit from the bigger S3.

2.0TFSI with 211 hp.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

At least i hope we will see something like a 1.6 TFSI soon in many Audis! I wish to have it in new A3 sedan and Q3 with ~150hp. With the characteristic of current TFSI engines and affordable price it is just an ideal alternative of great but less reliable VW TSI engines. Otherwise i also thought 2.0 TFSI for S1, 1.6 would be only slightly better than current A1 185hp TSI.
    5 Audis so far...currently:
    2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI Multitronic

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    2.0TFSI with 211 hp.
    So let me see if I understand you right, Audi will make an A1 with a 2.0TFSI engine (exact same as in the A3) and basically add quattro and call it an S1? That by my reckoning would mean a total weight for this S1 of about 1325kg give or take and place it about 70kg less than the equivalent A3 with the same engine, gearbox and drivetrain and will if the estimates are correct cost roughly the same.

I DON'T BUY IT.

Not only would the thing be more nose heavy but it's short wheelbase would exaggerate this fact, we would need to see a repeat of the RS3's far wider front tyres than rear to help balance things out. Not only that but who in their right mind would pay more for a car that offers less, less image status, less metal work, less boot, less interior space, less everything. No the only way I see this car working is with a unique engine, if not in capacity then in output, 211hp won't cut it in my opinion, it needs to be more but in all honest a 2.0L engine is too big and heavy for such a small car. On this occasion I believe less is more.

Don't think it's gonna be 2.0tfsi either. Too ordinary and common for a new S car. Big letdown if it happens...

2.5TFSI inline five

I'm with you guys, 2.0TFSI is way too ordinary and heavy for a car like this little gem so...1.6? Sounds just right...

Could very well be that an 1.6 Turbo engine will be added to the line-up.
    Seeing VW is going to rally with the Polo with an 1.6 Turbo engine.
    The chance is the S1 might share the engine with the Polo R.
    If they manage to keep the weight down both could be very interesting little cars!

@Toto
    Isn't the 2.0TFSI also a VW engine?

With the A1 pricing it's going to cost more than an RS5
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

LOL Erik.

Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post
    @Toto
    Isn't the 2.0TFSI also a VW engine?
    As far as i know, it's not. Definitely not. VW only produces TSI - Turbo Supercharged engines, the turbo-only engines should be Audis TFSI named engines. I don't know though, if A1 and A3's current 1.2 and 1.4 engines are VW twincharged engines or regular turbo engines. Does someone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Toto89 View Post
    As far as i know, it's not. Definitely not. VW only produces TSI - Turbo Supercharged engines, the turbo-only engines should be Audis TFSI named engines. I don't know though, if A1 and A3's current 1.2 and 1.4 engines are VW twincharged engines or regular turbo engines. Does someone know?
    Golf V GTI was labeled as TFSI aswell. Seems like they chose to keep the F for Audi and only use TSI for VW.
    The only Audi unique TFSI's seem to be the 1.8TFSI and the 3.0TFSI. (and the V10 TFSI ofcourse :lol: )
    In all the other cases the same engines are used in VW, Seat, and Skoda. Also I believe only the 1.4's with 160 and 170 hp are twincharged.

Yes, all forced induction petrol engines are shared, except V10, but above 1.4L, there is no supercharger, only turbo, and these are Audi engines. I also think all 1.4 and 1.2 engines in A1 and A3 are from VW. I'd prefer a 2.0 TFSI in S1, that would be unique and endless tuning possibilities.

Can't really see why the 2.0TFSI is unique when it's being used in the TT, A3, A4, A5, A6, Q5, Golf, Passat, Tiguan, Octavia, Superb and Leon.
    The tuning possibilities are interesting I agree. But I very much like the idea of a new smaller lighter 1.6T!
    If the choice was between the 1.4 twincharger and the 2.0TFSI I really don't know which to prefer atm.

This engine won't be twin-charged, those engines have run their course in my opinion, this will be a traditional single turbo unit but I reckon it will rev higher than normal. This car is all about weight and keeping it in check, especially the weight distribution.

I meant it would be unique to have a powerful engine like that in such a small car. Though its price will be even more horrible than regular A1. A simple 1.4T Quattro is completely enough in every day life.

Quote Originally Posted by Toto89 View Post
    I meant it would be unique to have a powerful engine like that in such a small car. Though its price will be even more horrible than regular A1. A simple 1.4T Quattro is completely enough in every day life.
    The thing that will make this unique in it's category is AWD, all it's competitors are FWD, now this will also give the S1 an advantage, not only off the line in acceleration stakes but in cornering as unlike the rest it will be able to send rear to the rear to curb potential understeer. If the same care and commitment is given to the S1 and was given to the S4 and RS3 then this will be a little cracker of a car, best in class for sure.

Yes it will be expensive but it has a quality feel which not even the Mini can't come close to matching.

Big letdown if it happens...