Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Manual Conversion Thread - RS6 with 01E

Quote Originally Posted by 716YETI View Post
    Justifying? I have driven my car more in the last 3 days with the 6 speed than I did in the first year of ownership. I had no desire to drive it with the autotragic. Audi autos are the worst. True story.
    Yes... I know. I'm working on it.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

I was just trying to help you justify it.
    Signal Green RS7

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Have you spoken to Scotty @ Advanced Automation
    props... He's treated me so well. They rebuilt my rs4 trans and I changed 3rd, 4th, diesel 5th, diesel 6th. Works awesome and all. Full props.
    03 rs6 dahlback 461 awd hp 530 tq. 12.2 118 gone
    01 rs4
    Rs6 avant loba 6sp

Yeah to Scotty.

My 6 speed car just passed NYS inspection! HAPPY DAY!
    Last edited by 716YETI; September 12th, 2012 at 19:41.
    Signal Green RS7

Quote Originally Posted by 716YETI View Post
    Yeah to Scotty.

My 6 speed car just passed NYS inspection! HAPPY DAY!
    congrats!! btw do you have ABS and ESC working?
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Thanks, big load off my chest errr back.

ABS and ESC lights are on, not a big deal... to me. Very small trade off for such awesomeness.
    Signal Green RS7

please clarify:
    CEL off
    ABS indicator on
    ESC indicator on

did the emissions test via OBDII port or tail pipes?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

CEL came back on because it is still looking for the autotragic transmission, it was off when it was inspected. There is no "sniffer" test outside of NYC in NYS, I don't see why it would not have passed that though.
    So yeah, all 3 are on now.
    Signal Green RS7

So the ABS and ESC lights are on, not too bad, but do ABS and ESC function?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I don't believe so because they are somehow tied to the autotragic transmission which no longer exists. I will test that theory next time it rains.
    Signal Green RS7

Need to start reading through the entire thread, but 2 quick questions (partially unrelated):
    a) What is considered the safe (meaning it will last a bit) max torque for the O1E?
    b) Is the hole/line in the turbo inlet pipe (round, held in place with 'ear bolt') the EVAP return line? With turbos out, would like to plug (and eliminate the EVAP, charcoal tank, N80, etc.) and tune out. Ditto EGR/Kombi valve later.

No reason not to expect to get 50k to 100k miles on a well driven rs6 making 600-700+ft lbs at the wheels with o1e. Clutch dump launches will help shorten its life as well as missed shifts.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

Quote Originally Posted by Avus-RS6 View Post
    No reason not to expect to get 50k to 100k miles on a well driven rs6 making 600-700+ft lbs at the wheels with o1e. Clutch dump launches will help shorten its life as well as missed shifts.
    Yea nobody would ever want to dump the clutch to go 0-60 in 2.7 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Avus-RS6 View Post
    Good to know, thanks.

Currently building my friends RS6 (billet turbos, SMIC, DP, exhaust) but will be on stock TC and stock tranny for a while.

Need to determine how much I need to detune/cap the torque. The ZF 5Hp24A has the larger bell housing (to accommodate the larger TC, but the tranny is pretty much standard 5HP24. Even raising the line pressure (more torque capacity from the clutches) will put more stress on the baskets, ditto the firmer shifts. Thinking maybe cap low/mid range boost to 20 psi and then gradually raise to 22 psi (stock MAP limit).

Haven't found much real world experience on maxing out the tranny/TC. If anyone has seen high torque Tiptronic builds, I would love to see.

Finding and swapping trannies is no easy task, so need to err on the safe side until ready for manual swap.

Upgraded clutch packs, increased line/valve body pressure, MTM TCU tune, everything buttoned up good and tight. I broke that setup in 8 months possibly doing too many 0-80 WOT runs, power listed in my sig. I've found more than 18psi on stock turbos they spool out to quick. Running ~16psi boost doesn't come on too hard and carries higher into RPMs. Stronger pulling car instead of giant torque down low, also reducing torque hit on trans, some of my reasoning. Anyhow, just keep your foot out of too many WOT shifts and it will hold up much longer. You can break a trans in three months or three years depending on how it's driven.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Good info and tips, thank you. What DID you break? 450 awtq is about 550 cTQ. Darn, that is low. On mild stage 1 (15 psi), currently at around 460 cTQ fairly linear sloping to 420 cTQ at 6200 rpm (could run to redline due to speed in 3rd). Was hoping to go to at least 600 cTQ. Will definitely keep the boost low (maybe the 16 psi you suggest) down low, and then ramp up. Capping at 550 cTQ but holding (we'll see) to redline (7200) would net 750 cHP. Wish there were a quick shifting auto tranny that could hold the torque. The V12 TDI has stock 1000 Nm, but I don't think the Zf 6HP32X it will bolt up/fit, and then controlling (TCU) it. Just dreaming. The (some US once around) V10 TDI has stock 550 lb*ft, the R50 850 Nm/630 lb*ft.

You figure roughly 125 more torque being produced by the engine from my settings. The auto has broken under stock power, which is decent, so you add the extra and even with reinforcements bad things can happen. Not really sure I'd say it's low on power, it's all relative Never found what was broken, the trans just stopped holding power in third gear and would jump to 4th under WOT at it's peak torque point. I assume glazed clutches from getting hot as there was never a large amount of clutch material in the trans fluid.

I guess 01E swap is the only way out (but even those break when torque gets really 'up there' (and abuse, naturally). I am currently limited by stock rods, but even I cringe from the thought of activating launch control (turbos spooled up) and dropping the (6 puck) clutch. Maybe need to get skinny tires (like 185 wide) and let them become the clutch for launching!