Thread: Audi RS3 vs BMW 1M vs Porsche Cayman R PDK

Audi RS3 vs BMW 1M vs Porsche Cayman R PDK

Seen this? Some real timings at last.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...e-Cayman-R-PDK

1st place - Audi RS3 (251/300 points, 84 %
    Fastest laptime on the wet and it's faster than the 1M around the dry track.

•Engine: i5, turbo, 340 hp, 450 Nm
    •Drive: AWD, 7-speed-DSG
    •Weight: 1590 kg
    •Vmax.: 250 km/h (limited)
    •0-40 km/h in 1,2 s
    •0-100 km/h in 4,5 s
    •0-200 km/h in 15,7 s
    •Flexibility (80-120 km/h) in 6th gear: 6,3 s
    •18 m slalom: 65,2 km/h
    •Braking (100-0 km/h): 33,5 m (warm, Continental SportContact5)
    •Average fuel consumption: 12,7 l/100 km

2nd place - Porsche Cayman R PDK (245/300 points, 82 %
    The sportiest car of the trio. Direct, precise and brutally fast. Fastest dry lap. 0-100 km/h in 4,4 s (0,2 s faster than factory's claim).

•Engine: b6, 330 hp, 370 Nm
    •Drive: RWD, 7-speed-DSG
    •Weight: 1360 kg
    •Vmax.: 280 km/h
    •0-40 km/h in 1,5 s
    •0-100 km/h in 4,4 s
    •0-200 km/h in 15,5 s
    •Flexibility (80-120 km/h) in 6th gear: 9,7 s
    •18 m slalom: 67,4 km/h
    •Braking (100-0 km/h): 33,0 m (warm, Bridgestone Potenza RE050)
    •Average fuel consumption: 12,5 l/100 km

3rd place - BMW 1M (232/300 points,77 %
    Great biturbo engine, weak traction on wet. However, it's still a great "Funmachine" for everyone.

•Engine: i6, biturbo, 340 hp, 450 Nm (Overboost: 500 Nm)
    •Drive: RWD, 6-speed-manual
    •Weight: 1500 kg
    •Vmax.: 250 km/h (limited)
    •0-40 km/h in 1,6 s
    •0-100 km/h in 4,7 s
    •0-200 km/h in 16,6 s
    •Flexibility (80-120 km/h) in 6th gear: 6,5 s
    •18 m slalom: 68,5 km/h
    •Braking (100-0 km/h): 34,4 m (warm, Michelin Pilot Sport)
    •Average fuel consumption: 12,9 l/100 km

Dry laptimes:

1.0.58,7 min - Cayman R PDK
    2.0.59,8 min - RS3
    3.1.00,2 min - 1M

Wet laptimes:

1.1.03,2 min - RS3
    2.1.04,8 min - Cayman R PDK
    3.1.05,7 min - 1M
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Oh dear, what happened to the belief that rwd BMWs always outgunning equally powered quattro Audis because of their dreadful drivetrain power lose. Here are two identically powered 1M and RS3 with which the BMW holds a slight weight advantage and more torque on it's overboost, yet it's slower in all out acceleration by more than just a token gesture.

Also where's all that nonsense that awd only has the advantage in the wet and when the weather turns fair it's the rwd that regains the advantage. I guess we can scratch that one too. It's the same as the opinion that the A3/Golf are only fwd chassises that are design for practicality and aren't worthy to be mentioned along sides the handling dynamics of the finest BMWs. Well I guess that's another misconception that needs to be revised, as is the belief that Haldex is only playing at awd because guess what .................. it kicked the 1M's butt GOOD.

Does anyone get the impression that the 1M just like a prom queen, pretty to look at but not much substance when you start to dig deeper.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Oh dear, what happened to the belief that rwd BMWs always outgunning equally powered quattro Audis because of their dreadful drivetrain power lose. Here are two identically powered 1M and RS3 with which the BMW holds a slight weight advantage and more torque on it's overboost, yet it's slower in all out acceleration by more than just a token gesture.

Also where's all that nonsense that awd only has the advantage in the wet and when the weather turns fair it's the rwd that regains the advantage. I guess we can scratch that one too. It's the same as the opinion that the A3/Golf are only fwd chassises that are design for practicality and aren't worthy to be mentioned along sides the handling dynamics of the finest BMWs. Well I guess that's another misconception that needs to be revised, as is the belief that Haldex is only playing at awd because guess what .................. it kicked the 1M's butt GOOD.

Does anyone get the impression that the 1M just like a prom queen, pretty to look at but not much substance when you start to dig deeper.

I could not agree with you more !!
    2010 Audi S4 ( Ibis White ) | 2011 Audi RS 3 ( Misano Red )
    ex : 2011 Audi RS 3 ( Ibis White ) | 2010 Audi S3 (Ibis White) | 2007 Audi S3 ( Ibis White ) | 2007 Audi TT ( Ibis White ) | 2006 Audi A3 2.0T ( Brilliant Red )

Brilliant, Joker. Well said.

The RS3 is shaping up nicely to be a classic car. What a shame it has arrived so late and will be produced in such limited quantities. Had it been released 2 years ago, which i believe it easily could have been, i think it would have become a fairly universal standard.

As things stand, I guess we can expect to see the 5-cylinder engine in the next S3 with about 350 bhp. This will be a terrific car and probably what RS3 owners will replace their RS3s with.

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    Brilliant, Joker. Well said.

The RS3 is shaping up nicely to be a classic car. What a shame it has arrived so late and will be produced in such limited quantities. Had it been released 2 years ago, which i believe it easily could have been, i think it would have become a fairly universal standard.

As things stand, I guess we can expect to see the 5-cylinder engine in the next S3 with about 350 bhp. This will be a terrific car and probably what RS3 owners will replace their RS3s with.
    I wonder if the "problem" with the RS3 (as perceived by the often absurdly unrealistic motoring journos) is that it's frankly under-powered for its capabilities! It’s maybe just too competent to let the power it’s got take it anywhere near its limits, in the dry at least. If I’m not mistaken, the transmission and drive are the same as in the "A3 Sedan concept” Audi showed at Geneva and that had >400bhp from essentially the same engine (so I deduce Audi think that 400bhp is within the capabilities of the powerplant, the 7-speed S-tronic and the quattro system). I know there are Stage 1 remaps costing much less than £1000 for the same engine, in the TT-RS, that go to 410bhp or so and supposedly don’t impact fuel consumption. Has anyone tried a TT-RS Stage 1 with enough success to recommend? I suspect an RS3 with that kind of tweak would get to 60 in 4.0s or so and might give the hard-core thrill-seekers a more (ahem) entertaining experience! Power boosts of this kind aren’t always a good idea, because the other components aren't able to take the strain, but this car seems almost set up for one.

I know this is thinking further ahead but with this car is turning out to be such a capable machine with an outstanding range of abilities that I reckon this car could very well gain cult status, just like the original 5 cylinder RS2.

Very impressive, this car is still growing on me.

Very impressive RS3 indeed. This will be a great car. The more we grow the subject the more I like it (which was not at all the case as some of you may remember )

A friend of mine is waiting his RS3 daytona grey and I will be pleased to go for a ride.

For shure a chipped version will be a bullet and kill many "big brothers".

An RS3 with 400+ bhp would be amazing. The TTRS is delivering a 0-100 kph time of 3.6 seconds. I am sure an rated RS3 could do something similar. That would easily embarrass the Cayman S, although the penalty would be fuel consumption.

For me the 5-cylinder engine and 7-speed S-Tronic is a dynamite combination. Perfect. i think we can expect to them used together in quite a few other VW/ Audi cars.

An RS3 with 400+ bhp would be amazing. The TTRS is delivering a 0-100 kph time of 3.6 seconds. I am sure an rated RS3 could do something similar. That would easily embarrass the Cayman S, although the penalty would be fuel consumption.

For me the 5-cylinder engine and 7-speed S-Tronic is a dynamite combination. Perfect. i think we can expect to them used together in quite a few other VW/ Audi cars.
    Yes, I suspect that would be a very serious machine. Given the extra weight and 4-wheel drive, the fact that the RS3's fuel consumption was within a whisker of the Cayman R's (and better than the 1M's) is impressive too. It'd be interesting to hear from any TT-RS owners that have tried one of the remaps but my understanding is that they can actually improve overall fuel economy (and even CO2 emissions) despite the extra power on tap.

Easily embarrass a Cayman S ......... HELLO, even in it's basic form the RS3 scared the willies out of the lighter and more powerful Cayman R by posting a time that was only 0.2s slower at 200km/h point. Against the normal Cayman S it would be well ahead and with 400hp it would be far off in the distance.

of course with 70-80hp more + turbo. no comparison anymore.

TT-RS version of this test by Auto Bild (all manual):

http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?p=105625

Audi TT-RS

test weight - 1468kg

0-100km/h - 4,6s
    0-160km/h - 10,6s
    0-200km/h - 16,1s

100-0km/h cold/warm - 34,8m/35,3m

1/4 Mile - 12,86 s

laptime - 1:39,30 s

Porsche Cayman R

test weight - 1342kg