Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refinished my wheels in Avus silver

Refinished my wheels in Avus silver

I decided to pull my DPE's apart this spring, as the chrome was peeling on the outer halves, and the aluminum was corroding under the clear on the centers. I had the centers powder coated in Avus silver to match the car, and bought new polished aluminum outer halves (due to circumstances within my control). Here's the result, not sure I like it.

Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Friends can be frank- I preferred the way it looked originally...Just my useless opinion...

210K miles rolled

Acutally I thinik it migh look good, can we get a pic outside the garage?

I agree with Randy.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I kind of feel the same the same way.....Truth be told, I didn't actually do this on purpose. I removed the trim from the bottom of the deck lid and brought it to the powder coater to match up. I wanted my centers to be the exact color of the mirrors and trim on the car....They screwed up, big time, but they just happened to match the body perfectly. After waiting a month for these to be finished, I decided to just hastily assemble them and see if it grows on me. Time will tell.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Pat, I like them...btw I did not forget ya, I am away and return Sunday I will have them out in mail next week
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrapped View Post
    Pat, I like them...btw I did not forget ya, I am away and return Sunday I will have them out in mail next week
    Oh...No worries, truth be told, I did forget

Were the centers brushed alum and clearcoated before? I do like the idea of matching the silver trim but I dont think powder coating can reach this result.

I'm not sure about it myself. I want to see it in person.

As far as powdercoating goes, they now do metallics, flakes, ect in the paint. It may not looked like its brushed up close, but if they do it right, you won't tell from 10 feet away.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

They look a little more sky blue than Avus silver. Maybe darken them a touch and you'd be perfect. Heck, they are close enough that I could live with them. I love the BBS mesh look. BTW, the El Camino looks hungry for some premium gas and some road work!
    03 RS6 Avus, 80 Modena Spyder, 93 Porsche 964 Cab, 11 Toyota Sienna SE, 95 John Deere 345 w/42" snow blower

Quote Originally Posted by DonS View Post
    They look a little more sky blue than Avus silver. Maybe darken them a touch and you'd be perfect. Heck, they are close enough that I could live with them. I love the BBS mesh look. BTW, the El Camino looks hungry for some premium gas and some road work!
    The more I look at it out in the sunlight, the more I'm starting to think it looks good. The camera flash kind of screws up the metallic flop of the color. Don, unfortunately, what the El Camino is most hungry for is transmissions. I pulled it out for about the 5th time May of 08? And it's been sitting ever since. I should probably at least push it out and wash it one of these days.

It has been I awhile since I have been on the board. Please send a picture from out in the sun like Randy said so we can get a better idea of what it looks like outside.
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

I actually prefer the contrast of the black centers and the polished lips on a lighter colored car. But, that's just me. After making that investment, I hope they're growing on you.

CW

Looks good to me Pat. I'm going Dark, but yours look perfectly fine to me. And that's saying something because photo's never seem to do our cars much justice..........
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Here's a couple of pictures out in the sun, not quite as bad looking as the earlier representation........

Looks better in natural light. Still want to see it in person
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I agree. I take back all the nasty, hurtful things I said. J/K!
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I think they look good.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet