Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squealing Brakes

Squealing Brakes

I have new rotors and pads (less than 200 miles) on the front of my car put on at the dealership. The last 10 feet or so before you get to a stop sign my front brakes really squeal. It makes everyone around me turn their head. Don't really want to turn heads that way. I saw this stuff on the ecstuning website. Has anyone ever used it? How do I keep these brakes from squealing?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4...ng/OEM/ES3060/
    APR ECU, FMU Intake, Catless DP's and Exhaust, AWE Mufflers, Milltek Tips, KW V3's, Hotchkis Sway Bars, APR DV's, Black Optic Headlights, Wagner Hoses, Denzo Plugs, BND Fluids, ACES IV, VMR RS4 Rims

Just needs to all break in....will take a few hundred miles I think...we have all more or less had our own experiences with squealing..you go OEM pads?

Get rid of the stock pads
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

My new rotors/pads squealed for weeks. They have finally quieted down.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

I would get rid of them if they weren't new. I will get the EBC Red Stuff pads next time.
    APR ECU, FMU Intake, Catless DP's and Exhaust, AWE Mufflers, Milltek Tips, KW V3's, Hotchkis Sway Bars, APR DV's, Black Optic Headlights, Wagner Hoses, Denzo Plugs, BND Fluids, ACES IV, VMR RS4 Rims

Sorry, I have the EBC Reds, they squeal like pigs for the first few hundred miles!
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

^^^EBC stop great, but are squealers initially
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Mine squealed for 600 miles with the Frozen OEM and EBC reds - it seemed to bed in better doing what PAT suggested - 90-100MPH and moderate pedal to 50-60mph
    The low speed light pedal stuff makes the squeals.
    It is almost better to "late brake"
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I had some sqealing pads on my 911. I sprayed the backs with some anit-squeal stuff and the squealing went away. It could be your pads. Or, it could be that they don't have a good seat with the caliper and they rattle around producing the high pitched squeal. Maybe mine no longer squeal because they fit better or the spray is damping the rattle by filling the gaps in the bad fit...? Anyway, mine are quiet after remove and reinstall with the anit-squeal spray. Try it, you might get lucky.

Squealing brakes on an RS6...noooo...say it ain't so...go find abandoned streets...haul it up to 60+ slam on brakes to a hard stop. Repeat. Repeat several times. Helps for a bit on regular pads and in my experience with about 5 sets of EBCs it takes care of them permanently when well bedded in finally, although a track day will leave residue that i need to do a redo. I will say I have had minimal or not at all with EBCs Yellow or Red. None on the set I just put on. Stock pads its almost unavoidable and the spray does help for a short period of time, but for me anyway several higher speed hard stops helps more, but they can and do sound like a bus with bad brakes often.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

My EBC reds didn't take that long to break in. I think the key is a few high speed braking runs. The EBC's have a "break-in" coating on them to seat into the disc better. I had a lot of squeaking with them at first, but after a few runs at 130+ to 50 or so, they were done making noise.

That said, as I acknowledge that the red's are better than stock, I may try something different next time. They seem to act funny on the rotors. Starting to discolor them, ... sorta weird.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by mmaturo View Post
    Squealing brakes on an RS6...noooo...say it ain't so......
    hahaha I wish that wasn't true!! the RS6 and break noise just go hand in hand unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by gmbh6 View Post
    hahaha I wish that wasn't true!! the RS6 and break noise just go hand in hand unfortunately
    Had to poke fun at our newer arrivals. How many pages of posts have been blown over the years on this subject. When it used to happen when i had stock pads i just followed a bus or the worst looking cab i could find in traffic downtown to follow so it looked like them rather than me. Although it is very effective to keep pedestrians on the sidewalk if you are trying to make a fast right turn as a light is changing.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by gmbh6 View Post
    After racing with some guys on the vintage car circuit, I just came to the realization the high performance breaks are gonna squeal. While it is somewhat annoying, I consider it a badge of honor to have my Brembo 8 piston, 4 pad, 14.4"x1.34" front rotors, squeal. (The rear brakes on this thing are larger than most cars front brakes!)

When you take off and leave whoever or whatever behind, they won't even remember the squealing brakes.....

Running stock pads, at about 1,500 miles. Did a lot of driving this weekend, lots of 90 to 60 mph braking, a few hard 90 to 30, now a squeaky front right just before stopping. Cause is? Worn down? Pads work darn good really.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

If you haven't read yet, the stock (padgid) pads have brass pins about half way through the pad material. You may have just gotten to the pins. To find out for sure, keep running those pads for the next couple thousand miles and see if you rotors start to develop grooves from the pins. (don't really do that, get new pads)

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    If you haven't read yet, the stock (padgid) pads have brass pins about half way through the pad material. You may have just gotten to the pins. To find out for sure, keep running those pads for the next couple thousand miles and see if you rotors start to develop grooves from the pins. (don't really do that, get new pads)
    I thought that was it, thank you sir! Only 2k on a set of pads, at least they are cheap, $90. Recommend a different one? Off topic, can you send me any info on the Devilsown cooling, might buy this week, thanks!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Ya, but their not 90 bucks. The EBC's are better than stock. I use the redstuff pads. They are doing funny things to my rotors though. No grooving or anything, but the rotors are turning color, like they are melting a little. They don't seem to dust as much as stock, but the dust they produce is sort of clumpy, hard to describe. I've heard of guys using the yellowstuff but haven't heard any long term results. V8weight uses Hawk pads and really likes them so far. For the price they are, I am letting him be my guinea pig before I go with them.