Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: '12 S5 ''facelift'', spied...

it's not like 4 years, it's more like 3 or even 2, because audi launched first a5 with very limited engine and gearbox range. Only in like half a year they started producing a5 with 3.2 tip and s5 with 3.2 tip, which you could have in 3 months more after order.
    By the way, you look though feedback, you'll see, that last generations of audi's are suitable for normal usage after 1-2 years of production, when most of bugs are fixed (my car, bought after a year of production, stood in guarantee service ~3months commulative, which is not the worst case i saw).
    So if you buy a normal car, you have to be prepared, that it would be significantly changed, not just minorly facelifted, very soon. If you think this is normal - well, good luck, what could I say.

B6 Audi S4 (2002-2005)

B7 Audi S4 (2005-2009)

Now you tell me, can you not notice the differences in the front and rear end of these two. With the new one it's appearance is even less noticeable but it's under the skin where most of the differences are.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

So what? Yes, it's normal for audi to slam clients. Or you want to say, it's even good?

Quote Originally Posted by dc2 View Post
    So what? Yes, it's normal for audi to slam clients. Or you want to say, it's even good?
    Look at the C-class, it's interior is totally different to the pre-facelift model and so is it's front end styling, look at the Jaguar XF, again a similar kind of treatment that Audi have adopted here. This behaviour is quite normal and necessary to kept it fresh and continue sales without them tailing off long before the model is due a complete replacement.

I think your comments and reactive to this is kind of naive to put it mildly.

For me it's also quite surprising to see this big change is being prepared for an A5 (presumably even an A4). Although a switch from B6 to B7 A4 was substantial, no other mid-life cycle change was that big. I don't see a need for that. A5 is beautiful as is and only maybe requires new headlight graphics, bumper for A/S5 and that's it.
    I was always ditching and ridiculing BMW for doing so in their FL updates, and now we can see the same with Audi. Maybe they are trying too hard to become a new ''BMW'' and by doing so they do the same mistakes...

^ Do you really see these change as major?

Lets look and compare the pre and post facelift models

Styling wise there's nothing noticeably different at the rear. What about the front?

Yes there are differences but it's the different shape of the lights that make it so noticeable. Why was this done, well that is simple, to keep the new family image consistent as the A8, A7, A6, A1 and soon to be released A3 all use the basic light design and to not bring the A4/5 up to date would have been odd don't you think.

^
    I completely understand they want to bring all designs in line. Just feel unnecessary to apply it already for FL A4/5 when their designs are so fresh and by doing so would piss all RS5 owners off no question. Unless they don't plan it for RS5, which I don't believe and would be even bigger mistake (similar to what BMW do by not updating M3 with FL).
    Change of lights shape is such a big change and it gives completely different take on a car, more so with Audis when their shapes remain the 90% same even with a model change.

I reckon Audi were in a dilemma, the new headlight design/appearance has being met with universal approval, the A6/7/1 are all proving to be roaring successes so to not do something similar with the A4/5 might lead to a fall off in worldwide sales, but in doing this extent of overhaul will meet with disapproval from owners with the older design.

There is no right or wrong answer here, I am sure Audi have chosen the one they feel best serves the company as a whole.

MB C-class restyling doesn't feel so significantly different.
    Calling my words naive is maybe naive from you, eh? I didn't say audi does wrong marketing, financing or something, which would be really naive. I said audi slams clients, and doesn't make long term clients - denying this is naive.

If you look at customer pattern, you will see, that audi focuses on that buyers, who are not loyal to any brand, ones who just want to buy something "actual". So audi is making many facelifts during model life, to keep those guys up to date. It could bee seen even in common styling - it's not the matter of good or bad, but most audi's look the same now. It just shows common economical approach - take most money of succesfull idea. It doesn't matter, how long customer will keep the car in garage. It doesn't matter, what customer then will think of quality, service, guarantee, relyability and durability. Important is, will next trendy guy buy updated car, or not. It's fast food strategy.

At the same time BMW and Mercedes keep trying to make clients loyal to brand. And life-cycle of model is one of the ways. Customer shouldn't feel himself using garbage after facelifting. That's why 3er, and even rather radical c-class facelift didn't look so major, like new A5 facelift.

And it's not a question of good or bad, of defending audi brand by anymeans, like you do now. It's not a matter of defend, because nobody's attacking. It just seems for more and more people, that this kind of customer threating is not appropriate. But it's probably appropriate for others - ok, good luck

So you feel that restyling the interior and restyling the lights as is the case in the C-class doesn't seem as dramatic as Audi only restyling the nose.

You are on the receiving end so I do understand your anger but it's the industry they are in, this is me defending what they have done, just showing that it's no different than all of them do. Jaguar is a perfect example of a company that has like Audi decided that at the time of it's facelift (XF) to match the new family image of the XJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    ^ Do you really see these change as major?

Lets look and compare the pre and post facelift models

Styling wise there's nothing noticeably different at the rear. What about the front?

Yes there are differences but it's the different shape of the lights that make it so noticeable. Why was this done, well that is simple, to keep the new family image consistent as the A8, A7, A6, A1 and soon to be released A3 all use the basic light design and to not bring the A4/5 up to date would have been odd don't you think.
    It's gonna be beautiful car no doubt and with that updated s-line bumper will excel even more... I guess it is my only gripe with the current one.
    Also, as I had said before, I don't expect full LED headlights as fog lights are still there, which is redundant with full LEDs...
    At least something stays for B9.

MB C-class restyling doesn't feel so significantly different.
    Calling my words naive is maybe naive from you, eh? I didn't say audi does wrong marketing, financing or something, which would be really naive. I said audi slams clients, and doesn't make long term clients - denying this is naive.

If you look at customer pattern, you will see, that audi focuses on that buyers, who are not loyal to any brand, ones who just want to buy something "actual". So audi is making many facelifts during model life, to keep those guys up to date. It could bee seen even in common styling - it's not the matter of good or bad, but most audi's look the same now. It just shows common economical approach - take most money of succesfull idea. It doesn't matter, how long customer will keep the car in garage. It doesn't matter, what customer then will think of quality, service, guarantee, relyability and durability. Important is, will next trendy guy buy updated car, or not. It's fast food strategy.

At the same time BMW and Mercedes keep trying to make clients loyal to brand. And life-cycle of model is one of the ways. Customer shouldn't feel himself using garbage after facelifting. That's why 3er, and even rather radical c-class facelift didn't look so major, like new A5 facelift.

And it's not a question of good or bad, of defending audi brand by anymeans, like you do now. It's not a matter of defend, because nobody's attacking. It just seems for more and more people, that this kind of customer threating is not appropriate. But it's probably appropriate for others - ok, good luck
    You know what's really funny here?

You're telling us that Audis' strategy is wrong because they are trying to catch as many "trendy" buyers as possible, but at the same time...guess what? You are exactly that kind of person!

Calling a car garbage just because a facelifted model is out with new(er) headlights is exactly the type of thinking of the guys who always want to have the newest, trendy thing! Why would a pre-facelift car be garbage? Does the engine suddenly brake when facelift comes to the dealers? Do the wheels fall off instantly?

Seriously?

As a proud owner of the latest generation A4, I'll be more than happy to see the facelift at the dealer. It will give me something to admire, I love new models and might get the newer one soon.

And I don't see why should RS5 owners feel bad? Their car will still be exactly the same car they spent their money a few months ago. If it was a good decision then, there's no reason to feel sorry.

Unless, of course, you're a "trendy guy" who has to have all the latest toys and uses his car as a p***s enlargement system Then there is a problem, but it's not the car.

^+1, nicely put.

Quote Originally Posted by The RS6 View Post
    You know what's really funny here?

You're telling us that Audis' strategy is wrong because they are trying to catch as many "trendy" buyers as possible, but at the same time...guess what? You are exactly that kind of person!

Unless, of course, you're a "trendy guy" who has to have all the latest toys and uses his car as a p***s enlargement system Then there is a problem, but it's not the car.
    Probably you read someone else's posts.
    Can I answer with quoting my own post? Thanks.

this garbage costed more than 100K$ in my country, and now VAG made such a facelift, which makes my car look like last century garbage, and cuts the selling price of my car extremely
    I'm not going to buy a new one to feel myself "in trend" Did I write it anywhere? Somewhere? Please, quote.
    The thing, which pisses me off first is the money. If car becomes old model, it sharply looses it's selling cost. That's why it's not too cool to see like your car suddenly becomes "old".

So keep being proud of seeing new A4 in shop, and learn a bit of manner

BTW:

Calling a car garbage just because a facelifted model is out with new(er) headlights is exactly the type of thinking of the guys who always want to have the newest, trendy thing! Why would a pre-facelift car be garbage? Does the engine suddenly brake when facelift comes to the dealers? Do the wheels fall off instantly?
    Ok. You say a logical staff. But then SUDDENLY:

As a proud owner of the latest generation A4, I'll be more than happy to see the facelift at the dealer. It will give me something to admire, I love new models and might get the newer one soon.
    Eh, did I get something wrong? You say there's nothing wrong in having older model, then you admire yourself loving new models, and that you probably would buy a new one - so you don't agree with own words, or probably say, that these words are "theoretical", for someone elce and you basically give yourself a definition of "trendy guy". Ok. You love new models. It's just a consumption type. suitable for LOTS of people. But then, once again, suddenly:

Hmm. You're extremely self critical

^+1, nicely put.
    And I don't see why should RS5 owners feel bad? Their car will still be exactly the same car they spent their money a few months ago. If it was a good decision then, there's no reason to feel sorry.
    If you can't build your own logic - how could you argue?

Once again. Simply:
    1) Money rule the world.
    2) Big restyling means "garbage feel" for many guys, who prefer buying newer models.
    3) This "garbage feel" cuts market price for "older" models. More drammatic facelift - more price falls.
    4) Audi became a headliner in making drammatic facelifts.
    5) I am dissapointed with this fact, and don't like it.
    Last edited by dc2; June 7th, 2011 at 08:11.

Quote Originally Posted by dc2
    this garbage costed more than 100K$ in my country
    Quote Originally Posted by dc2
    3) This "garbage feel" cuts market price for "older" models.
    Your choice of the word "garbage" suggests that maybe you never really have like the car anyway and this facelift has only made matters worse because in your mind your going to lose every more money to get out of it.

Would this opinion be correct?

I think that I have hit the nail on the head and you felt that the price you paid for your S5 was too high to begin with and in your opinion it wasn't worth it or didn't quite live up to your expectations and now with this improved facelift has left you with a car that in your opinion was an even worse investment.

I'm of the opinion that if you are always worried as to what will come out in the future then you will never ever take to jump and actually buy a car. But if you do feel that BMW is better in this respect then maybe that is where you should look to next, though if the new 1 series is a hint at the direction of their current design thinking then maybe you would be better sticking with Audi a bit longer.

Eh, did I get something wrong? You say there's nothing wrong in having older model, then you admire yourself loving new models, and that you probably would buy a new one - so you don't agree with own words, or probably say, that these words are "theoretical", for someone elce and you basically give yourself a definition of "trendy guy". Ok. You love new models. It's just a consumption type. suitable for LOTS of people.
    It seems to me that you are unable to understand that it is very possible for me to STILL be satisfied with my car even though there is a newer model on the market.

Would I want a newer one? Yes, why not.

Is my "old" car GARBAGE?! Nope...same car I bought a few years ago.

I was only trying to put your attention to you posts which are contradictory. You call your car garbage just because there is a new model, and that's just ridiculous.

You are that trendy shopper you spoke about, not because you want a newer model (everyone does...), but because you think your car is garbage just because there is a newer model available.

Not gonna argue anymore, over-and-out from me here!

Not gonna argue anymore, over-and-out from me here!
    thx, because u become more rude then precise.

But if you do feel that BMW is better in this respect then maybe that is where you should look to next, though if the new 1 series is a hint at the direction of their current design thinking then maybe you would be better sticking with Audi a bit longer.
    ehhh, hmm, no, probably no I am not a desiner, or artist, but new 1 series looks like an ugly monster to my view - arguable to one's taste for sure. And it's not the general type of car I'd like to have after audi 5. Probably, it should be Benz.