Thread: Recommendations for a good snow tire for a C5 RS6

Recommendations for a good snow tire for a C5 RS6

Hi all:

I'm about to go through my first Canadian fall and winter with the beast and need some good snow tires. I've looked around and haven't seen a lot of choices given the unique 255/40 R18 XL size of the RS6. I've read that the Michelin Pilot Arctic Alpins are good; I've seen mixed reviews of the Dunlop Wintersport M2s.
    Any suggestions are welcomed from owners in northern climes!

Best

Graham

I have seen reference to Blizzak snow tires around here....never personally used them so can't vouch.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

My dad and I have been using Blizzaks for the last 5-6 years with no issues at all. They have been great for me traveling all over the NE during the winter.

Pirelli sotto zero, cheaper then blizzak, drives great in snow
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

I run Blizzaks on both my Audis in the winters... truthfully tho, any new dedicated/specific winter tire will prolly perform well IMO; at least until the 'winter layer' rubber wears down.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

I don't think there is any argument with blizzaks. Probably the best winter tire made. However, other brands do a good job too. I use hankook icebears and like them a lot.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Running Michelin Ice X2's in a skinnier width, 225/45 R18.

Unbelievable bite in the snow... subjectively even a little better than the great blizzaks i've had in the past.

And remember to get an XL load rated tire for the big beast.

I'll find out this winter how the Falken HS439 Eurowinters (245/40/18) are! I have always recommended and deferred to Blizzak whenever the discussion came up but I got a great deal on them. I'd just go with a dedicated snow tire from any brand depending on price though. When I was looking some were very pricey.
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

Dunlop Wintersport M3's have been amazing in all my Audis. They are not XL rated, but I take it easier when they are on. Almost as quiet as a summer tire and amazing grip. Still on my RS6.
    Bobski
    03 RS6 Black/Black stock
    01 TT stage 2+ silver with baseball red

I'll second Bobski,

I have been using the Dunlop Wintersport M3 since I got the car in 2003. I got the 245 size since TR was out of the 235's and it was never an issue. so I keep getting that size.

I was up in Malone NY which might as well be Canada for the first three winters I had the RS6 and it was my only car, daily drive, must-get-to-the-hospital-in-all-weather car and never had an issue.

Mike

Thanks all:

One question: my local Audi dealer looked up the appropriate tire size on his computer and read that the winter tire should be same size as the summer time (ie 255/40/R18); however I've read that the standard Dunlop winter tire package that originally came with the RS6 was 225/45/R18, which has been the size when I try and build up a tire on online websites. Aside from ensuring the XL load rating, what is the range of sizes that can fit? (I guess I'm concerned about clearing those massive brembo brakes with the skinnier sizes, although skribe's experience with 225s seems good). So far I'm leaning towards either the Blizzaks or the Michelin Pilot Arctic Alpins. The websites I've looked at tell me I should be getting the 225/45R18 size. NB: when my local Audi dealer priced out four wheels with 255s, he came up with $3900.00 pre tax. I just about gagged at that.

Find a second set of OEM wheels - or get a new summer set of *any* wheel and retire your stockers to winter duty. I got a second set of OEM wheels and will get my winters mounted on the 4 'worst' looking and have the summer tires mounted on the best looking wheels. I was very close to getting Hartman reproduction wheels but came across a good set of OEMS.

For tire size - keep the XL rating and keep the OD of the tire as close as possible. Its the 18" wheel and the proper offset that is an issue with clearing the brakes. Obviously not an issue with OEM wheels!
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

First: the brakes are on the inside of the wheel. Tires have nothing to do with hitting brakes.

Second: THe middle number of the tire size is a RATIO of the width (first #). To compare sizes use an online calculator like this:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckinboston View Post
    Thanks all:

One question: my local Audi dealer looked up the appropriate tire size on his computer and read that the winter tire should be same size as the summer time (ie 255/40/R18); however I've read that the standard Dunlop winter tire package that originally came with the RS6 was 225/45/R18, which has been the size when I try and build up a tire on online websites. Aside from ensuring the XL load rating, what is the range of sizes that can fit? (I guess I'm concerned about clearing those massive brembo brakes with the skinnier sizes, although skribe's experience with 225s seems good). So far I'm leaning towards either the Blizzaks or the Michelin Pilot Arctic Alpins. The websites I've looked at tell me I should be getting the 225/45R18 size. NB: when my local Audi dealer priced out four wheels with 255s, he came up with $3900.00 pre tax. I just about gagged at that.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Go with the 255's. They look great, handle great and will get you through anything out there. I once went over Independence Pass, outside of Aspen, in my rs6 in 18 inches of snow in October on Michilen Pss's that were bald on the inside at the time. I did not know it as I had just bought the car from a Scottsadale enthusiast and the tires looked fine on the outside edge. It still made it when everyone else was stuck. So, how good does the car need to be in the snow? With M3 255's you will only get stuck if the snow is up to your mirrors.
    Bobski
    03 RS6 Black/Black stock
    01 TT stage 2+ silver with baseball red

Quote Originally Posted by bobski View Post
    Go with the 255's. They look great, handle great and will get you through anything out there. I once went over Independence Pass, outside of Aspen, in my rs6 in 18 inches of snow in October on Michilen Pss's that were bald on the inside at the time. I did not know it as I had just bought the car from a Scottsadale enthusiast and the tires looked fine on the outside edge. It still made it when everyone else was stuck. So, how good does the car need to be in the snow? With M3 255's you will only get stuck if the snow is up to your mirrors.
    I ran the Dunlop M3s for 5 years on my RS6 in stock 18" size as Bobski does on a second set of OEM 9 spokes and never had an issue in Chicago winters. Deep 6 inch fresh smow. Burried in a parking lot, following the snow plow on the interstate in a blizzard. On a sheet of ice after an ice storm...nothing. Same size as summer wheel is fine. Just bought a set of the same tires for my S5.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

Decided on Blizzak LM-60s on Hartmann TTRS 18" replica rims. They should be here next week.