Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: '12 BMW M5 Concept

Smart question...!

Latest video showing final testings... Looks like RWD to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aTby...layer_embedded

Banned
    Thank you for sharing .

Cartier Ring
    Cartier Bracelet

Leaked official photos...

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11106153...-photos-leaked

560 PS
    680 Nm
    4.4 liter V8
    0 to 100 km/h - 4.4 seconds
    0 to 200 km/h - 13 seconds
    top speed - 305 km/h with the M-Drivers-Package.
    Transmission choices will be 6-speed manual and 7-speed DCT.

Man is it good looking, just love that colour though the rims would have to go.

Performance is right on the money, 200km/h in 13 seconds dead is bloody quick for something so heavy. And on that subject is the weight known yet?

P.S.
    What is it with BMW and it's need to offer a manual in what effectively is a big heavy luxury saloon car.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

The option of manual transmission is the best thing about it. It is nice to see that you still have the joy of driving in such a luxurious and powerful car.
    5 Audis so far...currently:
    2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI Multitronic

RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Toto89 View Post
    The option of manual transmission is the best thing about it. It is nice to see that you still have the joy of driving in such a luxurious and powerful car.
    So in your opinion the fact that it will be dim-witted and slow to change direction due to it's weight can be overlooked simply because it's got a manual gearbox?

Let's get a reality check here, it measures almost 5 meters long and weighs probably as much as 2 ton, this isn't a sportscar, it's a big heavy cruiser in much the same mould as all the rest it's competing against. Heck even if shifting for yourself is occasionally fun the majority of the time will be spent either ferrying your family or business associates in traffic or on jolts along the autobahn, in other words the times when a manual box will prove tiresome and an annoyance.

The reason none of it's direct competitors offer a manual is because they all have wised up to this fact. I blame these Americans for demanding it's inclusion and I blame BMW for giving in to their childish demands.

Forget the actual usefulness of a manual tranny.

It will be great material for the owners to brag about at the local pub, and that's all that matters...

The press will also be full of slogans saying that the M5 is back to being an ultimate driving machine, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The RS6 View Post
    Forget the actual usefulness of a manual tranny.

It will be great material for the owners to brag about at the local pub, and that's all that matters...

The press will also be full of slogans saying that the M5 is back to being an ultimate driving machine, etc.
    I don't know, the E63 is one hack of a brilliant driver's car in it's own right and I am sure the CLS63 is even better. BMW's new M5 might well be the only one to come with a manual but it will also need to be outstanding to better either of these two Mercs.

And then there is the C7 RS6 to consider.

It's 1950kg. New RS6 will smash that thing to pieces...

Quote Originally Posted by darkop View Post
    It's 1950kg.
    Hefty car. When the BMW goes AWD, the weight will increase by 70 - 100 kg. At that weight, even the C7 S6 could be competitive.

Classy, sporty and elegant. And bloody damn fast. Audi needs to bring on the new RS6 and we could have the fight here....

Otherwise C6 RS6 is still very competitive with new M5 if it comes to acceleration and other numbers, not to mention usability. I'm pretty sure that it won't beat C6 MTM RS6 without "hardware" modification.
    5 Audis so far...currently:
    2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI Multitronic

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoAudi
    Hefty car. When the BMW goes AWD, the weight will increase by 70 - 100 kg. At that weight, even the C7 S6 could be competitive.
    Considering that this car has been developed a full 6 years after the platform that the C6 RS6 is based on I don't see where BMW's development has went to on this car. Frankly if they were to add 4 wheel drive and do nothing else to this car then I doubt it would be any quicker on the track than this old model RS6. Heaven help them when the new one comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruergard View Post
    Classy, sporty and elegant. And bloody damn fast. Audi needs to bring on the new RS6 and we could have the fight here....
    Different car with a different feel, it's why this two cars have their own fan base and why each sell equally well. Personally I feel as I always have that Audi make a better balanced car between performance and everyday usability.

Quote Originally Posted by Toto89 View Post
    Otherwise C6 RS6 is still very competitive with new M5 if it comes to acceleration and other numbers, not to mention usability. I'm pretty sure that it won't beat C6 MTM RS6 without "hardware" modification.
    I have no doubt that on pure figures the C6 RS6 will still be competitive up to a point but it's chassis is where I feel the F10 M5 will win big time, it's sure to ride better and still handle better. Though it hold no worries towards the C7 RS6, Audi have got their game face on now and I don't think they will ever again allow their RS model to be any heavier than the competition.

Audi already shown that they can make big HP numbers, they need to work on other stuff...

If they make the C7 RS6 quattro weigh less than a RWD M5 it will be the last nail in the beemers' coffin.

It's interesting reading to see just how close the older C6 RS6 saloon gets to the official figures BMW are quoting for it's latest M5.

The actual best times for the RS6 saloon are

0-100km/h = 4.1s
    0-200km/h = 12.9s
    Topspeed = 250km/h or 280km/h optional

Official figures from BMW for the M5 are

0-100km/h = 4.4s
    0-200km/h = 13.0s
    Topspeed = 250km/h or 305km/h optional.

I am sure that the M5 will probably do a little better than these official figures but it's still surprise as to how close these two cars are to each other when you consider BMW already knew what they had to beat and have a good idea as to what will probably come next from Audi.

What comes next from Audi they can only watch it passing by...