Thread: Got my first fault code

Got my first fault code

I've had my RS6 since last November and regularly scan it using VCDS and so far it's been fault free Yesterday i did a full scan and got fault code,
    18393 Coolant Control Module 2 (J671) Malfunction P1985 002 Lower Limit Exceeded Intermittent.
    I cleared the fault and went for a drive and it came back. Does anyone know what and where this module is? I've looked through ETKA and can't find it. The car drives fine and the temperature rises to 90 and stays there, the fans appear to work ok although i have to put the aircon on to get then to work as i haven't got the engine hot enough. I have checked the fuses.

Several components work in that system.

Can be sensor on back of engine. Not a big cost item.

Had mine changed at about 85,000 miles.

Did you see a CEL or just stumble on the code?

I think finding the codes before it trips the CEL probably saves more than you think!

I stumbled on my TC code! No CEL.

Mike

No CEL i just scan regular and this is the result. Are there any wiring diagrams available for the RS6 for free.

That is a coolant fan control module error. It is located (I believe) on the right frame rail behind the radiator.

4B0959501E CONTR MOD.
    Last edited by marklar182; March 19th, 2011 at 18:10.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Long time since these posts, but did replacing the module (4B0959501E) happen to clear the code? I have soft codes (no CEL) 18393 (P1985) Radiator fan control unit 2 J671 malfunction, and 18308 (P1900) Radiator fan actuator 2 open circuit / short to ground. Initial tech diagnosis at an import shop was the driver’s side fan itself, but that doesn’t seem right based on the discussion here. I’d greatly appreciate any sage advice on what to go after!

Quote Originally Posted by AudiPilot View Post
    Long time since these posts, but did replacing the module (4B0959501E) happen to clear the code? I have soft codes (no CEL) 18393 (P1985) Radiator fan control unit 2 J671 malfunction, and 18308 (P1900) Radiator fan actuator 2 open circuit / short to ground. Initial tech diagnosis at an import shop was the driver’s side fan itself, but that doesn’t seem right based on the discussion here. I’d greatly appreciate any sage advice on what to go after!
    I replaced the control module and the code never came back, shortly after the cooling fan died so replaced that as well.

For what it's worth I just when through this with both the P1985 and P1900:

18393 - Coolant Control Module 2 (J671)
    P1985 - 002 - Malfunction

18308 - Coolant Fan Control 2
    P1900 - 004 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent

My small aux fan was dead (drivers side US) - since Audi does not actually have any of these left I had to seek out an alternative. As far as I can tell the 300mm fan for any 2.7t A6 or Allroad of that era is part-identical, but to be specific I got the one made by Magneti Marelli and it both fits, and works perfectly - under $60 at partsgeek.

-jake

Quote Originally Posted by JakeLight View Post
    For what it's worth I just when through this with both the P1985 and P1900:

18393 - Coolant Control Module 2 (J671)
    P1985 - 002 - Malfunction

18308 - Coolant Fan Control 2
    P1900 - 004 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent

My small aux fan was dead (drivers side US) - since Audi does not actually have any of these left I had to seek out an alternative. As far as I can tell the 300mm fan for any 2.7t A6 or Allroad of that era is part-identical, but to be specific I got the one made by Magneti Marelli and it both fits, and works perfectly - under $60 at partsgeek.

-jake
    That's a huge help, knowing you went after the fan and not the control module... Given you had the exact same symptoms, I'll go that route!