Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next-gen R8?

Next-gen R8?

Will Audi still make a 2nd generation R8? I only read some rumors that it will be based on the next Gallardo and it will be powered by Audi's new 4.0L V8...

As from May 2012 (start of 2013 model year) there are a couple of changes to the R8. Possibly to coincide with a general update/refresh.
    Latest data on the Audi system is a new 540hp 5.2 engine based on the GT unit (560ps) - similar engine code.
    There is also a new seven speed auto/r-tronic transmission listed for both this engine and the 430ps 4.2.
    The new 540ps V10 will replace the 525ps in May 2012.

exciting and enlightening at the same time. source?

sounds mainly like a justification to increase the price some more and improve the profit delta since 15 hp more is nothing more than an anemic engine software tune. on the other hand i wouldn't be too happy if i were a GT owner since the price difference mainly comes down to weight savings. but most interesting is the tranny. is it really an r-tronic (would indicate that the next gen will def have an aventador style tranny) or DSG? if DSG i would be really surprised since it has been said from the beginning that fitting one in would be very expensive. what i smell more clearly than anything is a price increase for the V10 in 2013. finally, 2015 still sounds like the right timetable for the new R8.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

The switch to 7 gears sounds awfully like a switch to either DSG or ISR because VW have no other 7sp transmissions in their cupboard.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    exciting and enlightening at the same time. source?

Latest update to ETKA.
    I always like to have a peruse through the latest engine code and model listings to see what they're up to.
    Odd to have one in the listings that is still a year away.
    Cannot get any more info on the transmission, other than its defo not a manual.
    Either a development of the Lambo ISR or a DSG (sorry, S-tronic) - even though they said they wouldn't.. (sorry, I've just now read your post Joker. At least we've got the same idea.)

sudden intro DSG in middle of current model is unlikely imo

since the aventador tranny is a mod of r-tronic this makes more sense. also, easier to package in relation to mid engine model. this tranny mos def to be seen in 2013 gallardo. wonder if 2013 is year new gallardo debuts. would not make sense to put it in the current car for just one model year. new R8 lags behind new gallardo by 18-24 months from what i know.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

DSG is not the future IMHO, ISR is because it's much lighter then a double clutch gearbox.

I wonder if we will see any V10 in the next R8 at all.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

I see it as a modernized r-tronic, so no dsg for now

Quote Originally Posted by Lateknight View Post
    As from May 2012 (start of 2013 model year) there are a couple of changes to the R8. Possibly to coincide with a general update/refresh.
    Latest data on the Audi system is a new 540ps 5.2 engine based on the GT unit (560ps) - similar engine code.
    There is also a new seven speed auto/r-tronic transmission listed for both this engine and the 430ps 4.2.
    The new 540ps V10 will replace the 525ps in May 2012.
    I've an amendment to this info above.
    The engine code for the 540ps V10 has disappeared...! from The R8 programme, being replaced by a all new engine code with 549ps (542hp). Still the same production start date May 2012, still listed with a new 7 speed 'self-shifter', and a 6 speed manual.
    Looks like they've managed to get an additional 9 ponies from somewhere. Now even closer to the GT.
    I'll keep an eye open to see if the 540ps CMPC engine code re-appears. (The R8 GT spec engine is CMPA - hence the link)
    The 549ps engine will carry CTPA code.

mos def an ISR gearbox. the aventador's is 7 speeds. it would be extremely unusual to suddenly see a 7 speed DSG come out of nowhere or a redone rtronic with one more cog. so far reviewers really like the ISR. as for the power bump it's nothing more than a "meh" ecu programming. stasis will have to offer a sale starting in 2013 to make it's tune worth the extra 16 hp.

can someone point out the main diff between ISR and r-tronic?
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The switch to 7 gears sounds awfully like a switch to either DSG or ISR because VW have no other 7sp transmissions in their cupboard.

Porsche has apparently talked about a 7sp stick shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Z07 View Post
    Porsche has apparently talked about a 7sp stick shift.
    I know but we were talking about semi-autos not manuals.

The 549ps engine will carry CTPA code.

S-Tronic is definitely coming..with the facelift

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_6788.shtml

talks about R8 prototype(NF) with lightweight components. this might be a preview of the lightweight structure of the next gen R8...

probably more materials innovations than changes in performance and powerplant? Although I do wonder if Audi might follow BMW's lead and replace displacement and cylinders with twin turbos - a resurgence of the twin turbo V-8 in the Audi lineup?
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

As far as I am aware the only thing changing with the R8 engine wise is the replacement of the current 4.2FSI with the one from the RS5 thus gaining 36hp and the 5.2FSI gaining an extra 35hp to match that of the current R8GT. The press are all pectulating that it will gain DSG, maybe, maybe not, one thing is certain though, the old R-tronic is bye bye. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it receives Lambo's ISR gearbox but only if it can be made to behave as smooth as Volkswagen's DSG.

The ISR gearbox have 3 shift programs from very smooth, then sport up to violent corsa shifting.
    The ISR is a lighter gearbox then a R-Tronic or a simular DSG/S-Tronic gearbox.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....