Thread: Couple of questions...

Couple of questions...

A little background:
    Audi service replaced my right front diff seal back in November. The dealership changed hands between me scheduling the work and the actual appointment and my long time RS tech relocated in that time frame. Now there's no reason going back to that dealership (which was a sweet 10 miles away).
    I am now utilizing a local indy Audi/VW guy who has been here for about 20 years that was recently recommended as a good man to take on my nagging URQ issue (a story for another forum ) I've met with him a few times to chat over the last few months and he seems to have a loyal following and a lot of German car experience in general.

Recently the LF axle oil began appearing on the floor so I took it in to him for the seal replacement. Turns out of course that both boots were broken (the inner for so long that the grease was that sickly brownish green muck), and the axle had too much play in it so we are replacing it. BUT he says that to get to the bad seal there is some mounting bolt that requires him to remove the right (passenger) side as well. Does this sound right?? If that's the case, I can't understand how Audi did the right side without having to remove (and replace) the left - unless it's a one side requires total removal and the other side doesn't situation. So what does the braintrust think?

Also while we were poking around under her, we discovered a dire need for new motor mounts. Can anyone link me to a discussion on this issue and tell me whether or not the pricey OEMs are the way to go, or if there is a better option out there?

Thanks for any feedback!

( a leaking valve cover seal is also on the soon to-do list. )

2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Quote Originally Posted by SAF View Post
    Recently the LF axle oil began appearing on the floor so I took it in to him for the seal replacement. Turns out of course that both boots were broken (the inner for so long that the grease was that sickly brownish green muck), and the axle had too much play in it so we are replacing it. BUT he says that to get to the bad seal there is some mounting bolt that requires him to remove the right (passenger) side as well. Does this sound right?? If that's the case, I can't understand how Audi did the right side without having to remove (and replace) the left - unless it's a one side requires total removal and the other side doesn't situation. So what does the braintrust think?
    If my MM go, I would head towards the STERNS from PureMS or JHM in Street(soft).

Not sure about the seal(s).
    Replacing the axle seems rather straight forward (famous last words).
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I just bought the sterns from pure....2 settings, medium or stiff.....I bought the stiff, given the new engine will be twisting.....$295 pair...also they come with the plug delete so no codes
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

I just read the audizine thread about 034 MM, I called them and thankfully the guy steered me away, he said we DO NOT carry a MM for the RS6 yet. So I went with stern as per my mechanic.
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

i've got the stern stiff mounts in my rs6 now... definitely tightens things up for the better. but, more noise transfer to the cabin... i would say very little in terms of vibration though.

i'd do it again if i need to. no codes!
    2003 RS6 - forsale

just to add...

very easy to do yourself...

took all of 2 hours... while taking plenty of breaks.
    2003 RS6 - forsale

As for the LF Flange seal, I just read through ELSA and it does not mention anything about removing any components on the Right side.....
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Thanks for the MM info. I will review the threads and may try a DIY if you think a moderate wrencher can deal with it.
    Mech called back and said he wasn't sure what he was looking at that led him to believe the axle pull scenario he told me about, but it is a straight forward one-sided pull as expected.