Thread: FMU Intake Install !!

FMU Intake Install !!

I finished up my FMU intake install today, and all I can say is WOW!! First things first, the quality of this intake is absolutely phenomenal! The install was a little more difficult than I thought it would be, but everything on this car is. The directions were good, but not great, a lot of trail and error to figure things out. The intake looks absolutely awesome!! I did add some personal touches to give it a little C5 and C6 engine bay look. OK, performance wise, WOW!! The car sounds awesome, I can really hear the turbos spool now. I have a G-Tech performance meter, or a G-meter I call it. It is pretty damn accurate to, I would say within 5% of actual numbers. I did a 1/4 mile run in the car two days ago with stock intake, and another one today with FMU intake. Same weather outside, almost identical temp. I never would have thought I could see a difference this big from just an intake. I have enclosed pics, hope they attached correctly. These numbers might not be 100% accurate, but the point is, same conditions, same meter, and look at the difference ! Here are the numbers:

Stock intake: 60 ft - 1.99, 0-60 - 4.55, 1/8 mile - 8.4 @ 84 mph, 1/4 mile - 13.13 @ 104 mph

FMU intake: 60 ft - 1.97, 0-60 - 4.33, 1/8 mile - 8.1 @ 89 mph, 1/4 mile - 12.76 @ 109 mph

I would buy this intake again in a heartbeat !!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1943..jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	11167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1949..jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	11166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1942..jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	11168

Wow thats great to hear! What was the boggiest issue, so for the others who will be doing install we will know what to look for?
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

I've had the Air Filter box of several times, tight space in the drivers side for the wire to the MAF.

What did you run into? Same I assume.....

I though you were replacing the intake manifold (expected a very different picture)!

Looks nice, but you now need to paint the intake manifold and valve covers (LOL).

By the way if you want to really hear the turbos spool up, drive with the under engine cover off. When I first did this while doing my first drive with the new suspension I thought something was wrong! No question that under engine cover is definitely a Noise Isolation Cover.

Mike

Looks very nice! Good increase in ET and mph too. What type of filter material is used?
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

the cans are BMC of italy, filters pre installed BMC
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Glad we could help you become a 12-second car

Those numbers look great! Let's hope that gains for the other Beasts are equally impressive!

As always, if you have any questions or whatever, don't hesitate to e-mail or PM me. Otherwise, enjoy your new toys!
    http://www.fluidmotorunion.com

As far as bogging me down on the install. Getting that stock airbox out was a PITA, getting those MAFS disconnected. It also came with some metal support rings that you are suppose to put inside your stock inlet scoops so that when you tighten down the clamps it will have something to tighten down to, and not crush down the plastic scoop. Well I tried for over a hour to get even one of those put inside that scoop, and no joy!! I used auto apporoved lubricant like the directions said, and nothing!! The rings were just to big in diameter. Maybe a millimeter or two smaller, and it would have been perfect. So I went without them. I got the clamps plenty tight without crushing the plastic scoop without those rings. And once you get the merge container in, support brackets in, and your ready to put the fliter boxes in, it's not easy to get them in there. Very little room! Just takes some time, and patience. I had to walk away a couple of times, and come back. Looks really NICE when its all done though!!

Wow, it looks great.... it certainly is a nice replacement of the carbon OEM airbox.

yes the driver side wire for the MAF is too short.... I would prefer to be able to be sure to have the thing away from the intake before pulling on a wire for fear of dropping a part of the wire clip in the intake!

Mike

Great install in increase on Performance!
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's