Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who's had their Converter replaced?

Thanks for your perspective yokust. When you get a chance, post a pic of the turbo studs on the engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by yokust View Post
    Yes the trans can be taken out without removing the motor, I have done it twice. BUT I do not like doing it that way. It only saves maybe an hour at best, and is alot harder of work. I can pull the motor replace trans or tc in one day, as long as everything goes smoothly.

And personally, soon as you have the turbo studs break off in the turbo, or pull the threads from the turbo (which happens alot), you are pulling the motor anyways. Or when you find the coolant leaks or anything else, the motor is out and items can be addressed easily.

But again, I am not knocking anyone who likes to do it any way. I just personally have worked on enough of them and seen enough problems that I prefer to do it this way now
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Thanks for your perspective yokust. When you get a chance, post a pic of the turbo studs on the engine.
    You can see the studs I am talking about in all the engine pics posted in your other thread. Its the 3 top nuts and studs for the turbo to manifold. The studs almost always come out with the turbo, and half the time the studs smear the threads a bit. On both my cars 1 bolt on one of my turbos came out with messed threads and then sitting there tapping the turbo as best as possible sucks.

The first RS6 trans I did back in the day without pulling the motor, the turbo stud broke off in the turbo housing. And I had seen the "RS6" tech at the dealer have that problem a few times before all techs were allowed to work on the cars.

Thank you for your wise words Tozo, friend from the border ( I mean WI-IL border ) . I'll appreciated your unbiased comments, specially when a lot of us speak English, not just as a second language, some of us, like me, we learn it since first grade in PR, as some people know, we've been US territory since 1898, I've been living in mainland since I finish College, about 18 years. I just want it to share that info. in case some people still feel curious. We all have many things in common, not just being lucky owners of the beast RS6, we have to live in this planet, together and help each other, even the animals in the jungle protect there owns until death. I though this forum is to help each other, not to find out who can I criticize with smart phrases. I am open to invite you and whoever to have a real coffee or PR aged Rum, the real thing, by lake Michigan ( two blocks behind my residence ). Cheers. Rhino Carlos. God Bless.
    Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    Here is my take on this.
    There are a lot of people on these forums that speak English as a second language. If you don't learn it in early age then it will show. There are a lot of rules in the English language that doesn't make any sense, but because you learned it when you were a kid it is normal to you.
    Wings.
    I am the last guy who would put a wing on an Audi, but I saw his car and that wing doesn't look that bad in person. I would probable take it off, but it is a nice/expensive piece.
    BTW his car is the cleanest RS6 I've ever seen. Not a single scratch. You could put it on a showroom floor and sell it as new.
    Just saying.......
    Last edited by Rhino315; March 8th, 2011 at 20:56.

My motor and trans will be out very soon. I can't imagine it being any easier to do with engine IN.
    2013 Audi S8

Engine is now back in with New TC, Valve body and Valve Cover Gaskets. I also had them install 8 new Coil Packs and Plugs (gapped at 028), 710N Diverter Valves, and N75 Valve. The Downpipe-Turbo studs were also replaced since the threads were slightly damaged. They also performed a complete Timing Belt job. I also had the opportunity take my headlights home and Wet sand them to bring them back to new like condition as well as do the Clear Corner Mod. Bought the Stealth Bulbs and its looking good now. Both Outer CV joints are also being Replaced since Drivers side boot was ripped. I'm Spending a bundle but the guy working on my car is a perfectionist and hopefully I will be happy with the results. I haven't got the car back yet, since their still buttoning it up. But I will post my impressions as soon as I am able to.
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Good to hear elevens. Did they replace the studs on the turbo from the header? Or were you lucky enough to have them come out without issue?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Apparently they came out with no issue since what he showed me were all in tact. Its just that they looked warn and corroded and he said he did not want to reuse them. And looking at the Turbo's, all stud locations looked clear. He also replaced most of the cloth Vacuum lines with Silicon lines. I also wanted to do the Hybrid Turbo rout, but neither time nor money would permit that. Oh well if this TC ever goes again(which I hope it never does) I'll be ready...................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Gift from UPS today...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Converter..jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	11142

Cannot for the life of me wonder why anyone would do this job only removing the tranny. Can hardly do it with everything out!!!
    Last edited by ttboost; March 22nd, 2011 at 00:46.
    2013 Audi S8

Huh? Lol
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Gift from UPS today...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Converter..jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	11142

Cannot for the life of me wonder why anyone would do this job only removing the tranny. Can hardly do it with everything out!!!

Looks like a cardboard box to me... Is it Empty?? LOL Hurry up guy i need that Converter!! LOL
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's

Ya me too. Get that core back to Andre!
    Quote Originally Posted by PALETTE View Post
    Looks like a cardboard box to me... Is it Empty?? LOL Hurry up guy i need that Converter!! LOL

Ya me too. Get that core back to Andre!
    Not his core, it's my core, he couldn't get one....I had to pay for it...need to get my money back...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Not his core, it's my core, he couldn't get one....I had to pay for it...need to get my money back...
    Thanks Mike!
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's

Anyone out there with a junk TC to sell me?

Anyone out there with a junk TC to sell me?

Palette should have one soon...
    2013 Audi S8

I have a TC but I wouldn't say it is junk. It came out of the Raven Motorsport car that got the 6 speed manual. I really don't need it, I just wanted it and the transmission to use as early cores when I had them rebuilt while still driving my car but not really necessary as I have other cars to drive. Make me an offer if you want it. I can take pics, it looks fairly new, as in the tranny wasn't leaking any fluids in the bell housing. I believe they were both warranty replacements but i don't know for sure unless someone can tell me how to date check them and how to tell if this TC has the new seal.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I have a TC but I wouldn't say it is junk. It came out of the Raven Motorsport car that got the 6 speed manual. I really don't need it, I just wanted it and the transmission to use as early cores when I had them rebuilt while still driving my car but not really necessary as I have other cars to drive. Make me an offer if you want it. I can take pics, it looks fairly new, as in the tranny wasn't leaking any fluids in the bell housing. I believe they were both warranty replacements but i don't know for sure unless someone can tell me how to date check them and how to tell if this TC has the new seal.
    Unfortunately the part number on the converter doesn't distinguish whether it is the original or the updated design. The part number is 01L 323 571G either way, Audi didn't change the last prefix to represent the revision.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Ya, and I'm having trust issues with the OEM TC. I have spoken with a few TC companies and they can tell me exactly what they do to make the unit better. I can't get anyone to give me any specifics on what improvements audi or ZF has made.
    Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Unfortunately the part number on the converter doesn't distinguish whether it is the original or the updated design. The part number is 01L 323 571G either way, Audi didn't change the last prefix to represent the revision.