Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A3 sedan concept

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    The 4.0-litre V8 will be at Geneva next week. It will definitely be seen in a Bentley Continental GT, but may also appear in selected Audi models such as the S7, A8 and Q7. Whatever is shown in March, we'll see the new 4.0 litre TFSI in force at Frankfurt in September 2011. I am looking forward to seeing it in the S6 and RS6.

Speaking of Geneva and 408 bhp (300 Kw cars), the lack of any recent updates on the Quattro Concept suggests that it may have quietly died a death. Michael Dick has publicly said that there is presently no chassis that makes economic sense for this car. The Quattro concept may become a new rear mid-engine car, the so called R5, with the 2.5-litre engine. This would sit above the TT in the Audi range. The next TT sticks with the MQB platform of the next A3/ Golf range.

The next A4 and A5 range will stick with a longitudinal chassis that is reduced substantially in weight. This could yield a light A5 coupe with the 5-cylinder engine. Only two things are certain: the 4.0 litre V8 and 5-cylinder 2.5 TFSI are here to stay.
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/still...audi-yet.aspx?

I wouldn't be so sure about this!
    Have you guys seen this? Something awesome is cooking out there for us!

Is this the best handling Audi yet?

Hilton Holloway
    This morning I’m at a small test track around 50km outside Stuttgart for an Audi technical presentation on the advances the company is making in lightweight design.

Unexpectedly, one of the test cars is the technology mule for the Quattro concept that Audi unveiled last year. It may look like an ordinary A5 coupe, but it’s actually built around a bespoke aluminium spaceframe chassis, with an aluminium skin and carbon reinforced plastic bonnet and bootlid.

It uses a 400hp version of the TTRS’s five-pot engine, driving a 60/40 rear-biased quattro drivetrain through a six-speed manual ‘box. With the stock A5 coupe interior, this prototype weighs in at an impressive 1400kg. With a planned lightweight interior and the 150mm reduction in wheelbase used for the Quattro concept, that all-up weight could drop to just 1300kg.

This development car is part of the process of proving the Quattro concept ahead of it being given the green light by the Audi board and I’ve just stepped out of it after three quick and punchy laps of this small circuit.

This prototype is fast, fluid and extremely well-balanced. The performance, as you might expect, is vivid. The car did not betray the fact it has a longitudinal engine hanging out ahead of the front wheels, instead it felt utterly neutral and utterly unstickable. It is also glorious light, agile and enthusiastic.

Given a boot full out of bends, this mule had impressive lag-free pace, with a crisp and quick shift-action. Pushed around bends, the steering weight remained consistent and there wasn’t a hint of understeer. Overall, it flattered the driver and instilled confidence.

As it stands, this prototype is probably one of the best-handling Audis yet - at least on the basis of this short test drive. In production form, as the Quattro Concept, with a shorter wheelbase and another 100kgs shaved off the weight, it could well be the best handling Audi ever.

I’m sure of one thing, as soon as the Audi board members try this prototype, the Quattro concept will be heading for the showroom.

Without any intention to be wrongly mistaken, but 4.0l V8 turbo is bigger news for a Audi than a Bentley, B/C it allready have W12 bi-turbo, and for ''ordinary'' Bentley customer that sounds much better...
    Possibly is that D' have good opinion, with that SS W12 ''screaming'' on the show, while 4.0 will be ''base'' version...

There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Absolutely amazing. So much more attractive than any other expected new mainstream model. Very stylish. With a transverse mounted engine, short overall length yet what seems to be generous interior dimensions, the overall packaging seems very impressive. I'd buy one tomorrow, if it we available. Can't wait to find out more.

i absolutely love it. i want one to drive to work NOW.

can't wait to seethe A4 FL.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Concept in name on probably interior design but in everything else bar a few minor tweaks is very close to the finished production.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

www.quattive.com

when does it go into production?
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    when does it go into production?
    I believe the 3-door will show his face in September and will go in production 2th trimester 2012.

It's interesting to see how a simple production-almost-ready concept of a small sedan can put to a shade (shame?!!) the technological showcase of a sport roadster that comes from a main competitor!
    Life is just a b***h to some!
    Cheers

Yes, darkop, i totally agree.

The A3 sedan is gorgeous. It isn't that big thanks to the transverse mounted engine shortening the bonnet length. The interior packaging also seems as spacious as i thought it would be. This is the future and it can't come soon enough. A year seems like a long time to wait.

I heard that Audi were meant to show the Q3 as well as the S7 with the new 4.0 litre TFSI. A bit disappointing really. I hoped Audi were going to kick-ass at this year's Geneva show. Oh well, at least the next A3 is something to look forward to.

It looks fantastic cool lights to.