Thread: Must read - The truth about (Ferrari) press cars.

Gun Must read - The truth about (Ferrari) press cars.

I have nothing against Ferrari, and this isn't isolated to that brand I'm sure.

This is about the best I have read in a very long time, so please read, enjoy and comment:

http://jalopnik.com/#!5760248

Chris Harris!
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

That was a fun read!

But no surprise, they all put their best 'example' of the model line to the tests!

Mike

As a long-time, multiple Ferrari owner, I must say I'm not surprised. Not one bit. However, this isn't exactly a secret. Or, for that matter, an exclusive practice. The US manufacturers did it. So does Porsche. So did/does Lamborghini. Been happening for years, so I'm not sure this is really new news. It's just been "outed".

That aside, I will say I'm supremely peeved at the arrogance coming from Maranello these days. When the "Old Man" was at the helm, his character was...amusing, to say the least, and perhaps even endearing. Then, after his passing, SpA became control-freakish in their behaviour, and a marketing juggernaut. I'm sure Il Commendatore is thinking, "WTF?!" T-shirts? Keychains? Barbie dolls? Now, this all earns the profits for the company so that it can go racing (along with DEEP-pocketed sponsors), so Enzo might actually be enjoying the insanity of the whole thing.

For me, the straw that broke my back was Classiche. It was ill-conceived, highly political and outrageously expensive. And, while I can applaud the fact that SpA will re-manufacture a new 250 block for you, to pompously declare itself the arbiter of what is, and isn't, a Ferrari is just silly. Especially when they have taken absolutely ZERO interest in anything that left the walls of the factory on its way to a customer for the first 60 years. It was nothing more than a money grab. Plain and simple. The nerve. The audacity. The brilliance.

Yes, I have to even hand it to SpA on this. People are lining up to THROW money at SpA to get a red leather book that says your Ferrari is "authentic". What a crock! But, they've clearly been extraordinarily successful at it.

CW

LOL. come on people. the latest example is Nissan with their GTR except they take it to the extreme by hand rubbing tires (it's on video!) prior to attempting their 0-60 runs- this is how they got the 2012 0-60 time.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

And when Nissan started blowing tranny's using the launch control on the GT-R they told buyers than they would void the warranty if launch control was used and the tranny blew until they could load the car with the "Newer" software which tamed down launch control. Now the GT-R's aren't getting the 0-60 times they first did due to the softer software.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Hmmmm......... thoughts after reading an extremely funny and appalling article about Ferrari........ Way to go Lamborghini!!!!!!!!

"it was obliterated in a straight line by a GT2 and a Lambo LP 560-4, despite all the "official" road test figures suggesting it was faster than Halley's Comet."
    Honk if I'm Paying Your Mortgage!

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    LOL. come on people. the latest example is Nissan with their GTR except they take it to the extreme by hand rubbing tires (it's on video!) prior to attempting their 0-60 runs- this is how they got the 2012 0-60 time.
    Wow. So were they rubbing something on the tires, or checking them over for damage by hand?
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Very interesting facts this. Looking forward to a response.

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Wow. So were they rubbing something on the tires, or checking them over for damage by hand?
    They were rubbing ground up unicorn on them.
    '97 993TT, '14 E63 S-line, '17 GT-R and a couple of '12 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4s for the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by iconcls View Post
    Wow! That s#!t is expensive!
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by iconcls View Post
    Well, that could be good or bad, depending on which part of the unicorn was ground up

this is the reason why one should generally doubt manuf. claims and why most car companies publish conservative figures for their vehicles, or don't publish any for certain scenarios (like nurbugring time). these companies allow the cars to post their own times according to neutral mag testing. mercedes, bmw, and audi... and to most extents porsche, all tend to publish very conservative figures for their cars. now and then all of them will claim something that is not reproducible (audi r8 v8 0-120 time and porsche GT2 RS ring time), but by and large they are right on and the cars overperform. i take issue with a car co that does the opposite.

i have a lot of respect for mclaren and i hope they aren't pulling a nissan on us with the mp4. i will be really disappointed if car mags come out with consistently slower numbers.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Not that I care about this stuf

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Now the GT-R's aren't getting the 0-60 times they first did due to the softer software.
    I have never "launched" any of my cars, but "Launch Control" is present in the 2012 with factory blessing just renamed "R-Mode Start Function" and limited to 4 consecutive launches where then you have to allow the car to cool down before attempting another one.

Here it is in action (I'm sure Randy Pobst wee'd on the tires for extra grippiness too).
    '97 993TT, '14 E63 S-line, '17 GT-R and a couple of '12 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4s for the kids.

Sorry,

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Well, that could be good or bad, depending on which part of the unicorn was ground up
    It's a super secret formula that only conspiracy theorists are privy to.

Great article on Ferrari and nice video by icon.
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Well

there you go. Makes me happy that I bought the good old RS6 station wagon instead. At least it's up to me to try and make it go faster!