Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket warranty advice

Aftermarket warranty advice

I have been doing a bit of research on extended warranty plans for my rs6. It seems as though the highest rated provider I can find is 3-5 stars?... I called them and the rep actually told me he doesn't make money on quotes. Needless to say I was even more reluctant. I know warranty companies are a PITA but it seems some members have had some significant repairs covered saving $. I am looking for some recommendations and info including provider name, rate, % covered, time/mileage span, and opinion on if it has been worth the intial cost. Thanks

Is this for a C5? If it is, I'm very surprised that any company will offer an extended on it. I purchased an extended warranty through Bruce here a number of years ago. I'd recommend you contact him and see what he can offer. However, don't be surprised to hear that there's nothing available for an 8-year-old car that's long been out of warranty.

Good luck, though.

CW

I got my Fidelity Platinum 3/36 through local Audi dealer about 5 months ago...my RS6 has 45,xxx miles....warranty cost $3900....and it has already more than paid for itself...not sure if I should be happy or sad about that, if you know what I mean

Yes, it's a c5 w/48k. Warranty direct wanted $1800 for 4 yr/ 50k additional mileage!!! But.... they are well known for being a POS company. Descisions.....

Quote Originally Posted by bcbeast View Post
    Yes, it's a c5 w/48k. Warranty direct wanted $1800 for 4 yr/ 50k additional mileage!!! But.... they are well known for being a POS company. Descisions.....
    Can you update your location so others know where you are located?

It is completely based on mileage of the vehicle at the time of writing the policy.
    IIRC, SAFE4NOW knows quite a bit about this.

Mine is thru Protective, if you go to their website and get their number, you can get a local dealership to you to sign the contract.
    There are exclusions on the policy. $100 deductible.
    There is also a premium on Turbos and AWD...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Interesting that companies are willing to write policies on the C5. I was told that my company no longer writes them.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by bcbeast View Post
    I have been doing a bit of research on extended warranty plans for my rs6. It seems as though the highest rated provider I can find is 3-5 stars?... I called them and the rep actually told me he doesn't make money on quotes. Needless to say I was even more reluctant. I know warranty companies are a PITA but it seems some members have had some significant repairs covered saving $. I am looking for some recommendations and info including provider name, rate, % covered, time/mileage span, and opinion on if it has been worth the intial cost. Thanks
    I work with Protective, with their Total Protection Plan and Total Service Protection contracts. Fidelity is another excellent contract. Protective will sell contract options on cars less than 11 years old and assuming less than 100k miles on the odometer. Policy term / miles vary as well. You can also chose your deductible $50, $100, or $200 per visit.

The Supreme contract is a exclusionary policy, listing in one paragraph the items NOT covered:
    EX:
    Carburetor, Battery, Shock Absorbers, clutch, clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, manaual or hydraulic linkages, distributor cap and rotor, SRS system, glass , lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, brake rotors or drums, exhaust or emission systems, weather stripping, trim, molding, bright metal, chrome, upholstery and carpet, paint, outside ornamentation, bumpers, body sheet metal and panels, tires, wheels, nuts, bolts, or fasteners.

The Deluxe policy LISTS what is covered, while not as comprehinsive it's still a really good contract.

If you want, PM me your VIN and mileage as of today, I will give you a real quote and no, I do not make my money on the sale of the contract, I make money on the repairs that we preform on your car.
    I extend the same pricing to Forum members as a benifit of being a member here... even if you do not have your work done at Autoscope...but you can if you want to!

LMK if I can help,

S

Examples as of today:

under 50k mile Rs6 ( Supreme )
    48 month or 48k miles additonal from time contract written with $100 deductible would be $ 5485.00

58k mile Rs6 ( Supreme )
    36/36 $100 deductible $4685.00

68k mile Rs6 ( Deluxe )
    36/36 $100 deductible $5095.00
    Last edited by SAFE4NOW; February 8th, 2011 at 14:38.
    "You have first to experience what you want to express" (V. Van Gogh)

... oh and about Warranty Direct..... They cap their labor rate amount, they dictate where the parts come from ( at least what they will pay ) they might not pay taxes or diagnosis time either, just R&R time.

Whatever policy you get, READ the fine print. If you don't want to , send the policy to me, I will.

Steve

Wish you the best with this one.
    My warranty company came good on the timing belt job i just did, Just call in gave me a refrence number, the shop called in they gave him a green light to get it done. It cost me 150.00 for the deductable and that was it.
    i am using Global Warranty. I'm not sure if they cover the US.
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's

Hi - I'm reaching out as a new RS6 owner w/a ~18,000 car - the dealer can sell me the warranty he's described below, but I have no idea if this is a good deal - are you all saying that Protective/National Warranty is reputable company? btw, I have to make this decision by May 5th.

- Any thoughts?

See dealer comments Below - Thanks in advance:

"I have a warranty available for the car. It is issued through Protective / National Warranty.

This warranty is NOT cheap, but is an exclusionary service agreement. This means everything on the car is covered except wear and cosmetic items. In short, bumper to bumper.

A 4 year / 48,000 mile is $4876 plus tax.

3 year / 36,000 miles is $3799 plus tax.

These are 3 and 4 years from date of purchase, and the mileage is in addition to what is on the car. IE the 4 yr/48 would cover until April of 2015 or 66716 miles."

My C5 has only 11K on it, but I still bought an extended warranty after checking to make sure my local Audi dealer would honour it (I bought the Beast from a 3rd party dealer). Although I have very little Km on the car, I don't want to risk an unexpected "one-off" disaster given the $$ of any significant repairs for this car. Like Palette I also went with Global Warranty (went for the Ultimate Drive for 4 years); they seem to have a pretty comprehensive list of stuff that they cover and they have an A+ with the BBB. Some 3rd parties specifically do NOT cover the RS6, including the 3rd party one initially recommended by my local Audi dealer (!). So do read the fine print.

I asked my local Audi dealer which company they recommended. Which company pays the best and is most easy to work with. After all, they are going to have to work with this insurance company when my car fails.

I ended up with Fidelity and it has been pretty good. They pay well, but they add a day to the repair process. I did not buy my Fidelity warranty from the dealer who services the cars, I bought it from the dealer who inspected the car during my out-of-state purchase.

Good luck!

I checked out and priced the Fidelity Platinum on my 18k miles car in NC:

$2,691.00 for 60 month/75k miles

$3,078.00 for 84 month/75k miles

Fidelity is sold by my local Audi Dealer and according to the service manager they have no issues...

...so the warranty for $3,078.00 covers 84 month/75k miles - or 7 years and/or ~55,000 miles for $3k

In other words: $35/month or .05/mile??

surely I am missing something here ...or is this just a no brainer?

actually its 75k miles from when the warranty is purchased and the deductible is $50 at dealership - $100 anywhere else - fully transferable

...there were roughly 3-4 cars in my search that had warranties -

I'll post the details of my RS6 Quest when I get some photos uploaded - I drove 7 of the ~30 that were for sale nationwide over the past 5 months...

No brainer

The low miles must be giving you a break on price. I purchased my 72 month/75k plan back when my car had 25k and it cost me 3100. I got screwed. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by imthedecidah View Post
    I checked out and priced the Fidelity Platinum on my 18k miles car in NC:

$2,691.00 for 60 month/75k miles

$3,078.00 for 84 month/75k miles

Fidelity is sold by my local Audi Dealer and according to the service manager they have no issues...

...so the warranty for $3,078.00 covers 84 month/75k miles - or 7 years and/or ~55,000 miles for $3k

In other words: $35/month or .05/mile??

surely I am missing something here ...or is this just a no brainer?

^ What da man said
    210K miles rolled

As a comparison, the same " Supreme " coverage contract via Protective would be:
    4/48k $4084 $100.00 deductible ( anywhere you go )
    3/36 $3277.00 $100.00 deductible
    ** droping to a $50.00 deductible anywhere you go would add $375.00 to the cost of the contract ** $100.00 is the way I would go though.

The Fidelity contract is an equal contract to Protective IMO and experience. The one point I would confirm is that their time / mileage may start from when the car was sold and orginal miles... just confirm term and actual end dates / mileages.

Either contract will pay the repairing facility directly via credit card, cover a loaner per hour labor being paid ( Ex 0 to 8 hours = 1 day rental and so on ) they both approve OEM parts, though Fidelity may NOT cover wear items like control arm bushings or upper links, where Protective does.

LMK if I can help

Steve

p.s. Yes, I sell Protective contracts and had excellent experience when using my contract on my previous Rs6 to the tune of $15k+ in total claims!

What would a protective warranty cost for my car with 98k on the clock? WUAPV54B33N904279

Dealer quoted me $3800 for 24/24. $3200 drivetrain only.