Thread: Anyone tried Dr. Paint Chip?

Anyone tried Dr. Paint Chip?

www.paint-chip-repair.com

Saw an ad for it, and thought I might try it. Anyone have any experience with it?

I've got Avus Silver, which will be a PITA to match.

Any better retail solutions? I may end up with a paint guy, but I don't want to re-spray at this point.

CW

Gimmick. I spent 9 years working as an auto body tech, and if there was an easy way to repair chips, my front bumper wouldn't look like the lunar surface.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

What is this 3 foot rule? I'm guessing it has to do with how well it works? Maybe it works well enough so you can't see any damage from 3ft away or more?
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Figured. I'm not expecting it to look as good as new, but I want it to look decent. At the least.

Thanks, V8.

CW

Try and find a collision repair shop that is attached/affiliated with an audi/mb/BMW dealer up there. Preferably mb, I think they have the best color matching right now.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by CornersWell View Post
    Figured. I'm not expecting it to look as good as new, but I want it to look decent. At the least.

Thanks, V8.

CW
    I just had a small can of base coat mixed up for my car and use a small touch up brush to touch up my chips from time to time. I would try a local body shop and see if they would sell you a half a pint of base coat, and maybe a few touch up brushes.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

I have a referral to Brett Parsons at The Paint Guys. I hear they're really good. And mobile. I've a few things for them to work on, so it's probably worth getting them out. Have been trying to get all the issues straight before I start in on the paint, though!

And, sadly, my Ducati is now in for a major in anticipation of the riding season. Parts alone are in the $1,300 and counting range. Well, no one said they're inexpensive to own or maintain! When it rains...

CW

I do have some touch-up paint from the last time I had the bumper sprayed. But, you know, it never comes out looking right.

CW

www.paint-chip-repair.com

Saw an ad for it, and thought I might try it. Anyone have any experience with it?

I've got Avus Silver, which will be a PITA to match.

Any better retail solutions? I may end up with a paint guy, but I don't want to re-spray at this point.

CW
    I tried it on my last car (2003 Maxima) and it was worthless....no better than a regular little touch up container you get from dealer IMO

And, sadly, my Ducati is now in for a major in anticipation of the riding season. Parts alone are in the $1,300 and counting range. Well, no one said they're inexpensive to own or maintain! When it rains...

CW
    O/T:
    Whatcha getting done?
    What model?

I had a 1995 916 for 6yrs and I poured a ton of $$$$ into that thing. Ferracci pipes, Gia Ca Moto stage 1 chip, carbon fender f/r, s/s brake lines, Marchesini Magnesium 5 spoke (not the aluminum ones), cast iron rotors, 207's, relocated reservoirs on triple clamp ready for upgraded levers/master cylinders...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by twinsteve View Post
    I tried it on my last car (2003 Maxima) and it was worthless....no better than a regular little touch up container you get from dealer IMO
    Thanks. Confirms my suspicions.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    O/T:
    Whatcha getting done?
    What model?

I had a 1995 916 for 6yrs and I poured a ton of $$$$ into that thing. Ferracci pipes, Gia Ca Moto stage 1 chip, carbon fender f/r, s/s brake lines, Marchesini Magnesium 5 spoke (not the aluminum ones), cast iron rotors, 207's, relocated reservoirs on triple clamp ready for upgraded levers/master cylinders...
    This is just a 6K service, but there are 4 flaking rockers, the clutch is starting to get low, and the list just grows...

Bike was originally built by Ferracci as a press bike for DNA, so it's pretty well-equipped.

CW

Thanks. Confirms my suspicions.

CW
    I have to disagree and actually strongly...I got some for my RS6 (Daytona) last year and it worked fine after my second run learning to use it right...it takes practice but sorry folks it does work. Used it on bumper/hood/leading edge of roof above windshield/fender flare fronts...I think it works great... with the little bottle/brush or a toothpick I could never get it flush or right with OEM. But wiping the colorchip for instance across the tiny hits on the fenders and hood that are too small to fill by normal means it works great..i could/cannot tell. Color is dead on...actually better than the OEM (my containers of OEM were a bit darker). Also got 'titanium' and touched up curb rash on my wheels. Once you get the technique down it works. My buddy used it on his black Tahoe...looked good again after a run or two (learning the right amount to apply and pressure on removal are key). Followed up with it on the very few spots on my TT...again I can't easily find the spots if at all. Fills in small scratches well.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet