Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MP4-12C Acceleration Exposed

MP4-12C Acceleration Exposed

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/still...your-mind.aspx

There’s a statistic I’ve just discovered about the new McLaren MP4-12C that, if you know your onions or, more to the point, you know your acceleration figures, may well blow your mind. Because it has mine.

The number is 6.1.

Due to the embargo of February 14 that McLaren has placed on details surrounding its new car I’m not actually allowed to say what the number means. But were you to put the letters s, e and c after the number then take a guess as to what the end speed is, you may get more of an idea.

And to give you some extra reference, what I can also tell you is that the McLaren F1’s equivalent time to the same speed was 6.3 when we road tested it in 1994.

Which means the 12C is faster than the F1 to ‘ahem’ miles per hour when, to date, the F1 remains the fastest car we’ve ever recorded to ‘ahem’ miles per hour.

And that, my friends, is quite extraordinary.
    Cliffs: 0-100mph in 6.1s

Absolutely sick numbers,will make 458 feel slow......
    S63TT

This thing will fly...

Just the number alone is "Nuff Said". At least on staright line performance.

Now for track times.

Ben

PS: Obviously I say this knowing "times" only tell a part of the story.
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

i can't wait to hear how she handles and how versatile she'll be. i'll be really impressed if, on top of wicked handling stats, it is able to achieve them with a palpable feeling of driving involvement while being able to be driven on a daily basis in content comfort for a supercar. i also want to see what ring times the factory claims and how repeatable they are. mclaren has always been known to be a gentleman's car company.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post
    Just the number alone is "Nuff Said". At least on staright line performance.

Now for track times.

Ben

PS: Obviously I say this knowing "times" only tell a part of the story.
    Got this bit of sneak info:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/mclaren_mp4-12c.html

just had some
    more info,mclaren took there 458 to the top gear track and managed to go 0.2 seconds faster than the stig,making it quicker than the enzo!!!
    they were comparing it to the prototype 12c on the same day,which went another 1.7 seconds faster still ,just a fraction slower than the gumpert,and quicker than the ascari a10,and this was not the finished article!!!
    unfortunatly i cannot yet confirm this,but makes you think what the finished car might do,this was a while ago as i think the 458 is probably been taken to bits by now .

ring times next spring,as it goes on sale the 2nd quarter of the year in the uk,it makes me think with all the tech the car has, it should beat the 458 time by 10 seconds minimum,as chris goodwin the test driver says
    (having driven both cars),ours is very quick,he says the 458 was better in areas they didnt expect,and not as good in areas they did expect.HE WAS MOSTLY IMPRESSED WITH THE LACK OF WIND NOISE!!
    the 458 is leading the pack for a few months yet,more info should be out soon,i think some of the uk mags get a taster in november but no stats will be avaliable only a teaser of a couple of laps somewhere,
    will try to keep you all posted .

Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

Now with full specs:

"McLaren has released full details on the MP4-12C and the model's specs are definitely in line with the uncompromising performance that the supercar-maker has promised.

Under the mid-rear bonnet is the M838T power plant in the McLaren MP4-12C - a 3.8-liter twin-turbo V8 engine that produces a total of 600 PS (441 kW / 592 bhp) and 600 Nm (443 lb-ft) of torque. The MP4-12C does the 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) sprint in 3.3 seconds (3.1 with special Corsa tires) and has a top speed of 330 km/h (205 mph). 0 to 200 km/h (124 mph) comes in at 9.1 seconds, 8.9 with the Corsa racing tires.

The MP4-12C's MonoCell carbon-fiber chassis, which weights only 75 kg (165 lbs), helps makes for a sprightly vehicle that could weigh-in as low as 1301 kg (2868 lbs) with the lightweight options that McLaren will make available once the model goes on sale.

Transmission on the MP4-12C is a seven-speed SSG gearbox which offers three drive modes: Normal, Sport and Track.

The MP4-12C also comes with adjustable roll control, which replaces mechanical anti-roll bars, and the new supercar features a suspension control module with 3 modes too, Normal, Sport and Track, just as with the transmission but which acts independently of the gearbox setting.

"I am immensely proud of the 12C development team. I don't believe any car company in the world has put as much effort, innovation, passion and sheer determination into launching a car as McLaren has with the 12C...Both in simulation, and in the real world on road and track, we have gone to extremes to ensure the 12C stands up to the performance and quality we know our prospective customers demand," said Antony Sheriff, McLaren Automotive's Managing Director, in a statement.

McLaren is currently still testing the MP4-12C with four prototypes having gone on the road for further tests in Portugal and Spain just last month.

The MP4-12C will be available through a network of 35 retailer locations in 19 countries at a price of around $229,000 in the US and about £168,500 (including 20% VAT) in the UK.

The model is set to launch later this year."

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11102143...eleased-videos

This is something special...

How does the mclaren compare to the new Lambo?: http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/life...led-51257.html

the lambo will be a lot faster in acceleration and, most likely, at least as quick around a track. will also cost 75% more.

the mclaren is going to be a bargain. if i was a single guy it would be a foregone conclusion that i'd be counting the days to get mine. forget about the italia.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Don't think we should take this to serious cause it's an McLaren event. Regarding of the latest info about Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    the lambo will be a lot faster in acceleration and, most likely, at least as quick around a track. will also cost 75% more.
    Not so sure about that. The Aventador will be about 1750kg kerb vs 1430kg for the MP4 or 1400kg with the lightweight options. It has a higher top speed but rolling acceleration should be similar and I doubt it will win on lap times.

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post

the mclaren is going to be a bargain. if i was a single guy it would be a foregone conclusion that i'd be counting the days to get mine. forget about the italia.
    No matter what anyone else thinks or believes the new Lambo will be quicker in all forms of acceleration, be that all out acceleration or probably even in-gear acceleration too, but I can't honestly see how it will be quicker on a track where weight has more of a bearing on lap times than power to weight, though it will probably still be close because the Lambo has awd to help it punch out of the corners more efficiently.

'forget about the italia', italia who.

The MP4-12C does 60-100mph in 3s dead. To be faster than that the Aventador would need to be as fast or faster than a Veyron, which would upset the family tree somewhat. It will probably be faster above 150mph but 100-150mph they'll level-peg and 60-100 the MP4 will win. In-gear the MP4-12C will take it on torque to weight and wider turbo torque band.

Quote Originally Posted by Z07 View Post
    The MP4-12C does 60-100mph in 3s dead. To be faster than that the Aventador would need to be as fast or faster than a Veyron, which would upset the family tree somewhat. It will probably be faster above 150mph but 100-150mph they'll level-peg and 60-100 the MP4 will win. In-gear the MP4-12C will take it on torque to weight and wider turbo torque band.
    Going purely of figures quoted for the Lambo then I disagree that the MP4-12C will accelerate at any point as quick, 3.1s at best compared to 2.9s, once rolling it's a case of who has the most power and torque which the Lambo is in both. In-gear is probably harder to determine without seeing what lag if any is present in the MP12, but it will still be close regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Going purely of figures quoted for the Lambo then I disagree that the MP4-12C will accelerate at any point as quick, 3.1s at best compared to 2.9s, once rolling it's a case of who has the most power and torque which the Lambo is in both. In-gear is probably harder to determine without seeing what lag if any is present in the MP12, but it will still be close regardless.
    The 0-60 is faster because the Aventador has AWD, after launch it's about power-to-weight ratio (429hp/ton + dual-clutch plays 400hp/ton). In-gear acceleration is about torque-to-weight ratio (316lbft/ton plays 290lbft/ton and the MP4 delivers it all the way from 3000-7000rpm but lag might play a part in throttle response). At high speed above 150mph, absolute power will count and the Aventador will win there. On track, based on the rumours I'm hearing, anything short of a trackday special need not apply.

The Veyon had far less power to weight than the F1 had yet was still quicker everywhere is acceleration, as for the benefits of DCT, well the Lambo is believed to have a quick shift change too that's claimed to be as quick if not even quicker. Also the benefits of AWD over the first 50-60mph, I don't know how much of any advantage it will have on a sticky surface where these test will be conducted but I suppose until the Aventador releases full performance data we are all guessing at it's ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The Veyon had far less power to weight than the F1 had yet was still quicker everywhere is acceleration, as for the benefits of DCT, well the Lambo is believed to have a quick shift change too that's claimed to be as quick if not even quicker. Also the benefits of AWD over the first 50-60mph, I don't know how much of any advantage it will have on a sticky surface where these test will be conducted but I suppose until the Aventador releases full performance data we are all guessing at it's ability.
    The Veyron had DCT vs a manual change in the F1. It also has AWD on launch. In many tests the rolling acceleration 60-100mph isn't much better than the F1 (3.0s vs 3.1s in a lot of tests). There is no substitute for DCT wrt speed. The Veyron also has a turbocharged torque band, so you've really just made my case for me. I don't think the MP4 will run away with it by any means. It will be close after the initial launch.