Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie has got a few questions

Newbie has got a few questions

I will be buying an RS6 from a friend who bought the car at an insurance auction. I was with him when the car was delivered from Connecticut. Yes it was wrecked, but it was damaged on the right front undercarriage. Intercooler, radiator behind the IC, hoses, steel lines, etc.

It has 35k miles and I will be getting it for a song. My friend and I can do all the maintenance as he has a pit in his garage, and the two of us have worked on plenty of cars and the biggest expense is AUDI parts, of which we have a source as well.

My question is, does anyone know anything about this car?

VIN # WUAPV64B83N904820

Here is a link to some before photos: http://www.salvageautosauction.com/v...in-Connecticut

I checked with Audi and the DRC was done on recall July 31, 2009, it has the sound enhanced exhaust, looks to have been chipped because the tamper proof screw on the box has been modified.

Anyway how to tell what tune it has, and if a TCU mod has been done as well?

Thanks in advance guys. Looking forward to owning this Beast.

This will be my first ownership of a German performance car. I have always owned American muscle, but this thing is AWESOME. Drove it the other day, holy cow!!!

I've had friends with Porsche's, but you know how that goes. I love the fact that this car is RARE, and a complete sleeper.

Wow, you werent kidding! That is a great deal. When you take apart the front end, do a very thorough inspection for cracks/breaks on the radiator support. Assuming there is only cosmetic damage, you got a steal. Since the ECU was apparently removed, there is a good chance its APR. Next time you get in the car, turn it on, and hold down "set" on the cruise control stalk. If your Check engine light starts blinking, its APR. If not, its either MTM or GIAC. As far as checking them, you can remove them and open them up and see if the chips have brands on them. Its fairly easy. Cue ben for the vin and Max for the Ozz-man...Oh, and welcome!
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by 1 bad 03 rs6 View Post
    I've had friends with Porsche's, but you know how that goes.
    Haha, id be careful with that one. More than a few members also have porsches...v8weight, ttboost, pallete that i know of...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Sorry, one more thing. Go to settings and update your location...

Welcome aboard the

210K miles rolled

it is easy enough to just open up the ecu box and take it out. Why? Cause you still could have APR even if the lights don't blink. I did. It could be in security lockout mode and nothing will give evidence that the chip is there, besides cracking open the ecu. You will need to anyway to read the serial number that APR put on(if that's what it is) Then you can call in, give the serial number and they will tell you the lockout code.

Ya, I wouldn't mind a Porsche, and i think most on this board have great respect for them. Pat (v8weight) doesnt have one that I know of, but he does work on them for a living.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I'm doing some homework now. I THINK that is the car I was supposed to buy. A family friend owned it. If it is, it has a Dahlback flash and other goodies. Don't recall all the details and he may not either, as he bought it brand new and modded it back then too. I will try to confirm. At first I thought it was the car for sale at Imports Unlimited last year for $14k. I think that one had lower mileage...

and I do have a 996 Turbo, but Palette has 100whp on me!!!
    2013 Audi S8

Yep, that's the car. OK, this is what I know. XXTuning in East Hartford, CT did the work. It has ECU/TCU upgrades. Dahlbach mods too. Call XXTuning in East Hartford, CT, I would think they would have a record of the car.
    2013 Audi S8

Seems odd that the insurance carrier would total that car out with that aparent amount of damage... Unless there's an underlying issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    it is easy enough to just open up the ecu box and take it out. Why? Cause you still could have APR even if the lights don't blink. I did. It could be in security lockout mode and nothing will give evidence that the chip is there, besides cracking open the ecu. You will need to anyway to read the serial number that APR put on(if that's what it is) Then you can call in, give the serial number and they will tell you the lockout code.

Ya, I wouldn't mind a Porsche, and i think most on this board have great respect for them. Pat (v8weight) doesnt have one that I know of, but he does work on them for a living.
    Who's 944 was he driving with those carbide studs on that lake?

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Seems odd that the insurance carrier would total that car out with that aparent amount of damage... Unless there's an underlying issue.
    Yep, hence the if...although it does start, and drive...

A good auction site with lots of information. Says the car had a 27k value with estimates to repair at 28k.

Says the car starts. Does not say it drives. There must be a ton of damage to come up with a 28k est to repair but if the oil cooler or trans cooler lines were not broken and no fluids leaked then the engine/trans could be ok. If even the engine/trans is good...that price is a steal. Nice looking car and glad someone got it to save. Save that RS6!

The shop he works at owns the car- AutoEdge. They have a pretty neat looking facility and do a bunch of custom porsche work. Check out their website. auto-edge.com
    Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Who's 944 was he driving with those carbide studs on that lake?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    A good auction site with lots of information. Says the car had a 27k value with estimates to repair at 28k.

Says the car starts. Does not say it drives. There must be a ton of damage to come up with a 28k est to repair but if the oil cooler or trans cooler lines were not broken and no fluids leaked then the engine/trans could be ok. If even the engine/trans is good...that price is a steal. Nice looking car and glad someone got it to save. Save that RS6!
    Yeah, that was the car I was supposed to buy. Long story...

New owner should contact me. I just got an email that I can have all the records...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    The shop he works at owns the car- AutoEdge. They have a pretty neat looking facility and do a bunch of custom porsche work. Check out their website. auto-edge.com
    I have. It looks like a great shop.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post

True, the site doesn't say, but the new owner did.

If you end up getting the car, let me know.

I have alot of the oil cooler, and a/c system parts that look to be damaged on the car

Thumbs up The car is already repaired and on the road.

My friend already has the whole thing back together and running, painted , new IC, new upper control arm we installed, etc. I drove it a little bit this past Weds. OMG!!

Looks like it drove over something on the freeway, or off road over some rocks or something.

It needed an oil pan, the upper pan had a chunk gone and we had that repaired by this awesome welder we know, saved having to take it all out. Pass. IC was repaired by cutting the tanks off the damaged one, getting a comparable IC core, and rewelding the tanks. Everything pressure tested to 50 psi. Transmission pan, gasket, filter, fluid all replaced with Audi parts, but sounds like I'll be switching that to BND stuff. Replaced the upper control arm. Cut the damaged hard line parts of the oil cooler lines and had some flexible braided ss hoses made using the stock ends. It could use a new oil cooler as there is some damage but it doesn't leak and we pressure tested to 200 psi.

We used some aftermarket non Audi items for a couple of things. the little Radiator, behind the IC, some fabricated piping etc. I will replace with original parts as funding permits.

Please do tell me more TTBOOST as I will be getting this car from him. Never heard of the tuning or mods that you mention. Are they good mods? The car seems very well taken care of. Family friend you say? Just know I will take super special care of this Beautiful piece of engineering wonder.

I will just be paying his auction dealer $20 to put the title in my name and paying him cash, so we don't have to pay taxes and title transfer fees.

I would love to have all the records for this car. Really nice example. It has the black interior with the dark wood grain, which I like better than the carbon fiber (sorry to those who prefer the CF).

Thanks to everyone and I feel special to be part of this club.... (almost, still gotta seal the deal. probably a month or so to get the cash out of some investments and put together, but it is a done deal)