Thread: Changed out power steering fluid today...

Changed out power steering fluid today...

as I was occasionally getting some groans with slow turns, and of course Brian at BND had a fluid for the occasion. Did the turkey baster approach, and the pic shows the new fluid on the left, and the black, opaque gunk on the right. Steering is now buttery and silent. I plan to drive around a while and redo this a couple of times as the fluid is not expensive and the turkey baster approach is so simple. Shoulda done this earlier....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00046-20110205-1&.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	10972  

Hi papadoc, could u explain, literally took a turkey Baxter and sucked out fluid in resovior?
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Is flushing ps system difficult? I assume my 73k miles and ps hadn't been flushed? Mordant preventive then anything else.
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Hate to intrude on Papadoc's thread here, but Stephan, changing out the P/S fluid is very simple. With the car off, use a baster or fluid extractor and pull the fluid out of the reservoir. Refill with fresh fluid, then start the car and turn the wheel back and fourth lock to lock a few times. Then shut the car off and repeat the procedure. After 3-4 cycles of removing and refilling fluid, it should be about 99% flushed.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Sorry papadoc, Ty pat, similar to what I did on my bronco

Yes, that's the approach. There are threads with DIY way to drain all the fluid, but this requires digging into the engine and was a lot more than I was willing/capable of doing. Pull out the fluid with a turkey baster, and replace with fresh fluid in equal amount. Turn wheel end to end about 10 times, and repeat. I actually went through this process 4 times and the fluid was really not yet clear, which is why I plan to drive a bit and repeat the process. PS fluid is not expensive or this process would be too wasteful.