Thread: Raxles?

Question Raxles?

OEM axle assembly: $750
    Raxles axle assembly: $200

This is a no-brainer, correct? Never heard of anybody not loving Raxles.

Have a torn CV boot and see no reason not to just replace the axle. (Not interested in the $100 or less re-ground axles of unknown provenance that clog the interwebs.)

Bump for a reply? Come on dudes. Ima gonna order them Monday anyhow.

I purchased new front axles for my daughters old A4 from them and was impressed with the quality. I would go with them for the RS6 too.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Raxles is the way to go......

When I purchased my 2002 S6 Avant two months ago, the passenger side outer axle boot had a small tear in it. As the S6 still had it's original axles in it with close to 97K miles , I just ordered a pair and installed them both at the same time , even though neither original axle was making any noise. (for peace of mind). For $200.00 a side, I think it is a bargain. After installing the new axle, you just send them your old axle (core) in the same box with a prepaid label. Very professional company to do business with, I've been extremely pleased. Good Luck, regards, Paul

Bringing this thread back to add my feedback. If anyone needs to replace axles call Marty @ Raxles! You won't be disappointed. He went above and beyond to help me source replacements after determining the units provided in my 6MT swap kit (3.5 years ago, wow!) were not worth rebuilding (Chinese junk). Since my car is 01e TDI swapped it has a combination of inner joints (130mm) and lengths that were never available in the US. After some back and forth, they were able to locate OE Audi shafts, install their heavy duty inner and outer joints and included new hardware with everything clearly labeled for installation. Highly recommend.

03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

I have used RAxles exclusively in all my RS6s for over 10 years

Bethridg, are you saying the A6 manual front axles don't work with the TDI trans? I've got my car running (started). Got the driveline in and doing the front axles and most everything else next weekend when I'm back in town. Didn't fit the axles but they are new A6 manual (2.7t, 3.0) front axles.
    Roy, WA

There appears to be a few different combinations of parts that can be used to accomplish the 01e swap. In my case, I have a Euro TDI trans with heavy duty (130mm) inner tripod joints and flanges. The outer joints are the same for all C5's, I believe. After sending my originals to Raxles, they misidentified and shipped standard (B5) Passat units. The inner/outer joints were correct but the length was not. Even though they bolted up and did not bind at lock I ended up pulling the passenger inner joint out of socket on the first trip around the block. Too short. Marty pulled my originals out of the the garbage and with the dimensions I provided was able to put together a solution for me. I think he sourced the axle shafts from a manual 3.0 A6.

For my application the specs are as follows (measured fully compressed).

Driver

624mm

Passenger

645mm

130mm inner joint

38 spline outer

45 tooth ABS ring

For reference, here are some links to essentially what was included in my 6MT kit way back when. Though, mine were Chinese junk. But I really can't complain because they were serviceable for 3.5 years.

Flanges
    https://advancedautomotion.com/shop/...aepttfb3gvu8r1

Full axle upgrade
    https://advancedautomotion.com/shop/...aepttfb3gvu8r1

I was impressed with the product but it was the level of customer service from Marty that drove me to post here.

From all of this, I also found out how lame it is having an open center diff.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_lfk14hE2Id1qbz3auo1_400.gif 
Views:	260 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	18776
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

You can easily swap over axle flange from A6/S4 01e and run manual A6 axles. I have manual A6 raxles in my car with a DQT trans. Either way works of course.

The center diff on the RS6 isn't an open diff, it is a crown gear, or Torsen diff. The slip/Torque ratios can vary depending on the gear in the diff. I think the standard RS6 is a 2:1, and what you are probably feeling is you probably had a 4:1 installed, I did too Driven a couple older S4's and UrS6's with the 4:1 and it surprisingly has to be one of the best handling upgrades for sport driving.
    Roy, WA

Sorry, I was referring to the behavior of the Torsen diff when my axle broke; got the terminology all wrong. Getting stranded on an incline halfway into a parking lot during rush traffic was not fun.

Are they still $200 or thereabouts? My perception is that price generally isn't an indicator of quality. I've been stuck with a crap front left axle that was rebuilt and installed by the last mechanic to touch my car, and has never been in balance. The vibration under acceleration is irritating. I've never seen anyone complain about Raxles so that's what I plan to purchase and install as a replacement.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    Are they still $200 or thereabouts? My perception is that price generally isn't an indicator of quality. I've been stuck with a crap front left axle that was rebuilt and installed by the last mechanic to touch my car, and has never been in balance. The vibration under acceleration is irritating. I've never seen anyone complain about Raxles so that's what I plan to purchase and install as a replacement.
    I paid $250 + $100 core charge per side since mine were not usable.

Hey boys... does anyone have any specs on how much power these axles are reliable to? Is that even a concern with these? I'm looking for front axles for my 01E swap but fear putting in something that won't last with much of a power increase

I would suggest sticking with OE Audi axles. They are cheap on ebay and can be "rebuilt" by yourself for the cost of boot kits and your time. They are shared across all 4.2 C5s.

You will end up with a less expensive axle and the peace of mind knowing it was done correctly.

thanks 95ninety. that was my thought. ill probably go that route

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha00311 View Post
    Hey boys... does anyone have any specs on how much power these axles are reliable to? Is that even a concern with these? I'm looking for front axles for my 01E swap but fear putting in something that won't last with much of a power increase
    Unfortunately, I do not have any information on that front. I can only weigh in on my setup. Standard 6MT stage 1 (Daz) tune with no concerns. You may reach out to Corbett to see what he's running at his levels.

Quote Originally Posted by 95ninety View Post
    I would suggest sticking with OE Audi axles. They are cheap on ebay and can be "rebuilt" by yourself for the cost of boot kits and your time. They are shared across all 4.2 C5s.

You will end up with a less expensive axle and the peace of mind knowing it was done correctly.

That is absolutely another option. And one I weighed myself. You can re-boot your original joints for a fraction of the cost. You'll need access to a few tools you may or may not have (bearing separator/puller, hydraulic press, lock-ring pliers, boot clamp pliers, etc). But you're still left with joints with however many miles were on them and any wear associated with that. Which could be a completely acceptable solution. If you want a full rebuild, a brand new outer joint kit is going to run you ~$100/ea. Perhaps you even find a source for a new inner joint; add whatever that may cost you. Between the new parts and tools gets you close to the cost of units from Raxles or probably any other comparable place.

Here's a really good video for that job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMl3CMm4Qkc

Edit:

Forgot to show why I ended up with replace vs a re-boot.

Last edited by bethridg; January 15th, 2019 at 00:06.

well that video was extremely informative! And now I can clearly visualize what's wrong with my car, which vibrates in the left front only under acceleration. It's those triple disc thingies in the inner CV joint. They're shot. What pisses me off is that the vibration STARTED upon replacement of the axle and has only gotten progressively worse. But it's neither an expensive nor a complicated fix, so no big deal.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo