Thread: Australian RS6 (C5) DRC problems

Australian RS6 (C5) DRC problems

I'm interested in collecting information on all cases of DRC suspension leaks on Australian delivered RS6 cars.

From what I can see, I'm not sure Audi Australia are even fitting the modified parts that are fitted in USA let alone recalling all the cars. In Australia Audi are also still depressurising the system to replace shocks even though this is no longer needed so owners are hit up for the prohibitively expensive control valves on each failure.

My car (owned from new) has just had it's second failure and I've just got my second bill for repairs that'll be close to $10,000, if not over.

Please followup if you are in the same boat as me. I am currently talking to Audi Australia, Audi Germany, Department of Fair Trading and my lawyer about our options including a class action against Audi.

My Car and DRC failure history

2003 RS6 Avant
    VIN: WUAZZZ4874N900242

DRC Failures

2008 - all four shock absorbers leaked
    Audi Australia covered the cost of the new control valves but charged me $4250 for new shock absorbers and fitting

2011 - both rear shocks leaking again
    I have a quote for $8K+ for the parts needed for repair
    Last edited by cmb; January 22nd, 2011 at 05:06.

The central valves (pre-pressurized from the factory) need to be replaced each time one of the two struts it controls has a failure. That cost is rediculous - Audi AG SHOULD be offering the retrofit to all the C5 RS6s world wide. I am stunned to hear that AA has not been included in this. Do you know how many RS6s are down there?

I think the number in Australia is 26 C5 RS6s. I've contacted 5 owners so far (including me) with 100% of these having failures.

I've also heard word of the US managing to replace the shocks without depressurising, and thus without replacing the control valves.

I'm talking to Audi Germany. They are going to be getting back to me next week. Included in their reply should be whether the control valves can remain pressurized and thus kept - I'll mail back when I hear.

Time to see if we can get Audi Australia to move on this. The US of course did a full recall. UK extended their warranty. Australia so far: hit up each owner for $10K every 3 years - nice.

CMB, you are correct in that they only replaced the Shocks & Struts but not the Central Valves here in the U.S. recall. It has been done successfully but how long it lasts will be the question but some of the re-done cars have about 1.5 years on them.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Unless Australia gets the proper tools and fittings to pressurize them, they cannot recharge and reuse the central valves. Only when that was tested successfully and supplied to the US dealers, were the CVs able to be used again after draining the system. Prior to that (and the recall), I had three complete sets installed on my car because there was no other alternative to getting the DRC system operating once the struts leaked.

Thanks hahnmgh63 and SAF,

On Wednesday this week Audi Australia told me they needed to replace everything. If the US dealers now have the right kit, why don't Australia? Hopefully the next few weeks will see Audi Aus come to the party just like everywhere else in the world.

Good luck CMB, and I hope that Audi Australia picks up the bill for that party as they should.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    Thanks hahnmgh63 and SAF,

On Wednesday this week Audi Australia told me they needed to replace everything. If the US dealers now have the right kit, why don't Australia? Hopefully the next few weeks will see Audi Aus come to the party just like everywhere else in the world.
    i have mine in the shed in a box ( i was told they were removed do the fitting of coil overs and that they were fine?) so i have no idea, but keen to be kept in the loop

john
    2004 RS6
    APR, KW, REMUS

Hi

yeah! Someone from Australia! Yes, I owned the V8 Avant and experienced the DRC issue. Was a great car (especially the sound) but Audi Australia truly have no clue. Too busy sponsoring rich old guys in yachts who have never driven fast in their lives. My trouble was I'd hit a pothole hard about the same time I thought something was wrong with the suspension, and apart from this forum, had absolutely no contact with anyone else with an RS6. So didn't have a great deal of confidence or knowledge in fronting up to the dealer and announcing the problem. Anyway, paid for totally myself and got "the fix" and sold the car. Bought the V10 Avant and all seems well with the DRC. There is just something magic about the RS6 that made me do it! But would I buy any other Audi - no way - Porsche is totally the way to go in terms of customer service and performance car understanding. Somewhat cynical now about Audi Australia but wish you absolutely all the best.

Turns out Audi Australia do have the tool to recharge the central valves. They just don't offer it as an option to their clients. Much easier to hit them up for $3K+ per valve.

Sounds like you guys definitely have a case then!
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

VIN WUAZZZ4B14N900334, November 2003 RS6 sedan

My beasts DRC problem- the dreaded 'clunk inthe trunk' left hand rear side-or the 'boot', as we say in oz, started approx late August 2008 at ~51,679 kms.

The beast did not feel as settled as it had been on a straight smooth undulating road at speed.

Having read all the posts by DHall, Aronis and many others US posters ( many thanks), I knew what to look for- weeping shock absorbers.

As beast was still under an independent non Audi extended warranty till August 2010, I had extended warranty tech check DRC- he reported all shocks weeping oil in March 2009.

To support the extended warranty claim for a 'new' DRC that I planned to make, I also had the Perth Audi dealer check in April 2009 at 56,129 kms, the DRC shocks and they confirmed leaking shocks. Perth Audi dealer was very helpful and provided good service, but did not seem to know a lot about DRC on RS6. Provided photos of each leaking shock.

Dealer lack of knowledge on DRC problems understandable as only 4 RS6's in Perth/Western Australia.

For the extended warranty claim, as independent tech could not service DRC, Audi dealer gave quote
    for fitted new front shocks of $4,070 and for fitted new rear shocks of $2,925. I assumed that new central valve in that quote, but probably not! The quotes sure made the eyes blink, I give you the big tip!

Independent tech opinion was that non-Audi extended warranty would not cover new DRC as would be classified as a 'wear and tear' item. Also if an Audi design fault as evidenced by Audi recall in USA, then an Audi Australia problem.

I voiced my disapproval to Audi Australia through a mid 2010 online customer survey and said RS6 a magnifcent 'supercar', good local Audi dealer and service, but RS6 badly let down by design deficient DRC. Also if my DRC was not replaced, then I would never buy another Audi.

No reponse from Audi Australia.

As the beast was out of warranty in Sept 2010 and having follwed the travails of US owners and time it took to finally get the DRC recall, I decided I would not go down the US owner path to get an Audi Australia recall.

So ordered from Grizz-Unit20 in December 2010, a PSS9 coilover system for A$3,000. I plan to install in February 2011 , once get beast back from crash repairers after repairing Decemeber 2010 attack by kangaroo on front rh fender/mudguard.

As they say in the agony aunt columns, I live in hope that Audi Australia will send me a cheque for $3000 to reimburse me for the PSS9 system, plus abject letter of apology for DRC woes.

Apologies for the ramble, but that is my two cents worth or should I say $3,000 worth of comments on DRC woes.

john

ps on a lighter note, a profound thought on marriage, which unfortuntely some of the US posters may identify with;

"Marriage is like a deck of cards - all you need to start with is two hearts and a diamond.

By the end you wish you had a club and a spade!"

does not apply of course to my own blushing bride.

thanks for the note - that makes 11 cars and still yet to find one with working DRC. I'm told there are 26 cars in Aus. I'm currently talking to Audi Aus and hoping they will step up.

You may have a tough road to cross and get any help.

If Audi does not stand behind the DRC then please do not spend any out of pocket money to try and fix it. The main problems you will find is a general lack of experience with proper DRC fitment at the dealer level and you will throw money in a big black hole. Instead purchase a set of coilover struts from KW or H/R and be done with it. IMHO and good luck.

DHall1 thank you for your comment.

I whole heartedly agree with your advice. I have read too many posts from the RS6 International forum and the RS6 UK forum of repeated failures to get a working DRC from a failed one by the dealers.

This is why I have tken Grizz advice and purchased Bilstein PSS9 coilovers. KW3 better for race tracking RS6 but apparently more difficult to set up.

Paying Audi dealer to repair/replace a DRC from what i have read is equivalent to riding a roller coaster and throwing dollar bills in the air.

This is very poor PR for Audi Australia as when the RS6 came out to Australia in 2003, it cost A$220,00 and the new 2009 RS6 V10TT costs ~$260,000.

(~100% luxury import & sales tax here)

Quote Originally Posted by aussie rs6 View Post
    DHall1 thank you for your comment.

I whole heartedly agree with your advice. I have read too many posts from the RS6 International forum and the RS6 UK forum of repeated failures to get a working DRC from a failed one by the dealers.

This is why I have tken Grizz advice and purchased Bilstein PSS9 coilovers. KW3 better for race tracking RS6 but apparently more difficult to set up.

Paying Audi dealer to repair/replace a DRC from what i have read is equivalent to riding a roller coaster and throwing dollar bills in the air.

This is very poor PR for Audi Australia as when the RS6 came out to Australia in 2003, it cost A$220,00 and the new 2009 RS6 V10TT costs ~$260,000.

(~100% luxury import & sales tax here)
    Yes, get the PSS9's or the KWv3 or there is the Statis but they are nearly double the cost.
    Then box up the DRC, leaking and all, and send it to them via post office... and ask for reimbursement...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared