Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turbo Upgrade Questions

Quote Originally Posted by 1sadavant View Post
    So $1575 or more for a gain of 24WHP, may be a hard pill to swallow.
    Cough Cough . . . insert aftermarket intake system here . . . cough cough.

Couldn't resist.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by as350 View Post
    OK, I'm going to show my lack of knowledge with the following question.

I also own an 01 Audi TT 225 which has a K04 (-23, I think) just like our beasts. I run APR software on my TT along with a few intake and exhaust modifications along with a manual boost controller. My setup allows for peak boost around 22 psi. The K04 will go higher, but at 26 the ECU goes into limp mode and IATs go hot rapidly with higher boost. I know TT owners that are running over 30 psi on a stock K04, but they also have massive intercoolers, w/m injection, different waste gate actuator springs and custom tunes to make it all work.

So, if the K04 turbos are proven to work at much higher boost, why not swap the RS6 turbos with TT turbos instead of trying to tweak turbine wheels etc.? Is the geometry different and intake/exhaust don't line up?
    pressure is not always the same as flow.. some cars can make a lot more power with less pressure, but the flow is up there. All depending on intake/exhaust/engine volume and flow efficiencies. personally, I would never run 30psi on a K04. While pressure isnt always proportional to power.. it is to engine stress. I only run 14 on my tuned Noble, which is a V6 3.0L with twin GT28s
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    Working with the same outer geometry turbo will never get you the bang for the buck you're after.

It's been alluded to above, but my intent on RS6 V3.0 if & when this happens is something like a set of TiAl R650s with V-band flanges and some elegant fabrication.

I can attest first hand that the manual transmission provides much more room for bigger turbos. I've also got a source where I can get the cores for fitment. I'm not sure if removing the bolt on flange and adding the v-band flange on the same plane will work. Luckily I've got an extra set of RS6 manifolds to experiment with.

So, to recap:

1. Manual tranmission, which I'd recommned whether upgrading or not, just from a pure reliability standpoint.

2. An aftermarket turbo with better performance (also most likely cheaper) than a stock set of Borg Warners.
    Does anybody know the cost difference between rebuilding and upgrading my current trans vs. six speed conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by DALLAS_RS6 View Post
    Does anybody know the cost difference between rebuilding and upgrading my current trans vs. six speed conversion?
    I think there are threads here detailing this? I seem to recall a $10k number for a 6speed conversion and somewhere between $4k and $6k for a rebuild and converter, or just $450 for the converter.
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by DALLAS_RS6 View Post
    I spoke with the guys at Raven MS about this when I dropped my car off there recently. Also got to see their 6SP RS6. Wow, lots more room around the tranny now! Anyway, It depends on how you go about it. I think they said parts can be had for around 6k or so. The total could be closer to 8k.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    I spoke with the guys at Raven MS about this when I dropped my car off there recently. Also got to see their 6SP RS6. Wow, lots more room around the tranny now! Anyway, It depends on how you go about it. I think they said parts can be had for around 6k or so. The total could be closer to 8k.
    I think if you do it yourself(which i will be doing as soon as its paid off), you can expect to pay 5-6K. If you have a shop do it with all the parts, 7-8K. If the shop has to fab their own stuff, 9-10K.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    I think if you do it yourself(which i will be doing as soon as its paid off), you can expect to pay 5-6K. If you have a shop do it with all the parts, 7-8K. If the shop has to fab their own stuff, 9-10K.
    Unless you have already spoken to Matt and the Trans/TQ is... cough, cough .... failing/slipping.... and ....cough, cough... if you possibly have ... cough, cough... aftermarket warranty...
    well, putting two and two together....
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Unless you have already spoken to Matt and the Trans/TQ is... cough, cough .... failing/slipping.... and ....cough, cough... if you possibly have ... cough, cough... aftermarket warranty...
    well, putting two and two together....
    Wish we could do something similar with DRC! mine is apparently blown out, but I need to be paid for KWs..

Wish we could do something similar with DRC! mine is apparently blown out, but I need to be paid for KWs..
    um, ironic AGAIN (twice in one week) as Audi5000csqt (John) and I were talking about the fine quality 4x4 DRC that I have and the PSSSTTTT9'ers that he has...
    A little ducky talked to his service advisor when all this DRC crap started to fail about 2 years ago and that service advisor purchased KWv3's on Audi's bill and charged AoA for the "DRC" repair...
    And that same ducky got a check in the mail...

EDIT: and BRAV, you know this ducky
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    um, ironic AGAIN (twice in one week) as Audi5000csqt (John) and I were talking about the fine quality 4x4 DRC that I have and the PSSSTTTT9'ers that he has...
    A little ducky talked to his service advisor when all this DRC crap started to fail about 2 years ago and that service advisor purchased KWv3's on Audi's bill and charged AoA for the "DRC" repair...
    And that same ducky got a check in the mail...

EDIT: and BRAV, you know this ducky
    Tell me WHO!

Tell me WHO!
    His RS6.com username had the word "duck" at the start and "duck" at the end and "wing" in the middle...

And there is a guy on the East Coast that purchased the car he used to own.

I had the KW's installed free of charge in my car as well, as the DRC blew out 4 days after purchasing the car. It was covered under the 60 day dealership warranty. Me thinks there was some foul play by the dealership in the first place, my hypothesis is that they recharged the DRC for the test drive, to mask bad shocks.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Ahhh yes, Ducky. But I havent seen him on in ages?! Looks like he hasnt been on since Jan of last year. If you have his contact info, shoot me a PM if you don't mind
    Last edited by Brav; January 22nd, 2011 at 03:49.

Ahhh yes, Ducky. But I havent seen him on in ages?! Looks like he hasnt been on since Jan of last year. If you have his contact info, shoot me a PM if you don't mind
    Mr. Greg is in Taiwan and I see him on Facebook RARELY...
    The cell phone never answers and the PM's to FB are never answered.