Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MTM tcu or Software flash?

MTM tcu or Software flash?

Whats the difference between a MTM tcu chip and a tcu remap besides the obvious one's a solder in chip and the other is software? Can the MTM software not be flashed to the standard tcu? Are there any benefits that one has over the other?

I'm only asking as i'm nearly ready for a remap but my current tcu has been flashed by DNA tuning by the previous owner so you can drive at 30mph in 5th. Originally the previous owner had the ecu flashed too but that went horribly wrong (checksum error) before i bought the car so now has a new standard ecu.

Does having the tcu allowing 5th gear at 30mph not put more strain on the torque convertor / gearbox trying to lug around 2 tons at low revs?

Just recently got my car and the MTM TCU upgrade was the first thing I did. The lowest I can go in 5th is about 32-33mph or so. It won't shift into 5th lower than that, even if I try. I pay attention and only do this when I am cruising backroads and not driving "aggressively".
    2013 Audi S8

Tozo may chime in here but, yes, running so low RPM's consistently is bad for the TC. This is due to low fluid pressure more than anything.

Sorry, can't help on the difference between the 2 option you listed. I don't know anything about TCU reflashes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bilko1 View Post
    Whats the difference between a MTM tcu chip and a tcu remap besides the obvious one's a solder in chip and the other is software? Can the MTM software not be flashed to the standard tcu? Are there any benefits that one has over the other?

I'm only asking as i'm nearly ready for a remap but my current tcu has been flashed by DNA tuning by the previous owner so you can drive at 30mph in 5th. Originally the previous owner had the ecu flashed too but that went horribly wrong (checksum error) before i bought the car so now has a new standard ecu.

Does having the tcu allowing 5th gear at 30mph not put more strain on the torque convertor / gearbox trying to lug around 2 tons at low revs?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Yeah, I just cruise at very light throttle positions in 5th at the lower speeds. Otherwise, I am cruising at 35-40mph at 2000-2300 in 3rd. If I have to step on it, I click it down a gear or 2. I do find myself switching back and forth from "D" to Tip often. Not sure if this is "bad" or not.
    2013 Audi S8

Ok so here is Question for the More knowledgeable ones.>>
    >>
    Can we not add a Trans-cooler to the trans? If so will it work? I am thinking the once i had on my 2 speed glide it wraps to the transition and has a Fan to cool it. Made by TCI. Another question, Can we also not increase the Line pressure on the Trans?>>

Sorry if i have gone off topic here
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's

You were born "OFF TOPIC"...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    You were born "OFF TOPIC"...
    Spoken like someone who has a Tune and has yet to Load it ... Scared of the Power?? LOL
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's

The TCU cannot be flashed, it must be physically removed and rechipped. And why any one would want to lug around at 30mph in 5th I don't know. The only reason I can think of is fuel milage. These cars are high performance cars. Forget about gas milage, and drive them the way they should be driven. Hard......................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by PALETTE View Post
    Spoken like someone who has a Tune and has yet to Load it ... Scared of the Power?? LOL
    Been loaded for months, just had issues. Finally replaced N75, coolant temp sensor and DV's. Datalogged yesterday, but still need to get on the dyno. Time is a precious commodity lately.
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by Elevens View Post
    The TCU cannot be flashed, it must be physically removed and rechipped. And why any one would want to lug around at 30mph in 5th I don't know. The only reason I can think of is fuel milage. These cars are high performance cars. Forget about gas milage, and drive them the way they should be driven. Hard......................
    I'm sure they can be flashed / remapped as mine has been done by DNA. Also Viper, MRC, Unit 20 and many others in the UK offer a tcu remap.

I'm sure they can be flashed / remapped as mine has been done by DNA. Also Viper, MRC, Unit 20 and many others in the UK offer a tcu remap.
    The TCU has to be physically removed from the car and have the "chip" physically soldered in. The ECU can be flashed by simply plugging into the OBD port.
    2013 Audi S8

I have the Viper tcu "map", and it is an E-Prom that is physically soldered in, I know, I soldered it in.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Actually I think all VAG TCU remaps are not directly flashed, but rather installed via R&R eprom.

I don't think you can access the TCU software via the VAG diagnostic port.

With the TCU on a bench, maybe.

I'm sure JHM and MTM would be bench flashing if they could. It is a risk to desolder the SMD eproms and replace. The TCU isn't cheap!
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Quote Originally Posted by PALETTE View Post
    Ok so here is Question for the More knowledgeable ones.>>
    >>
    Can we not add a Trans-cooler to the trans? If so will it work? I am thinking the once i had on my 2 speed glide it wraps to the transition and has a Fan to cool it. Made by TCI. Another question, Can we also not increase the Line pressure on the Trans?>>

Sorry if i have gone off topic here
    We do have a trans cooler. It is the top 1/3 of the oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator. If you want better, FMU is engineering a bigger one.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    We do have a trans cooler. It is the top 1/3 of the oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator. If you want better, FMU is engineering a bigger one.
    Well hopefully they will advise once they have completed it as i am sure it would help enormously !

Quote Originally Posted by marklar182 View Post
    Actually I think all VAG TCU remaps are not directly flashed, but rather installed via R&R eprom.

I don't think you can access the TCU software via the VAG diagnostic port.

With the TCU on a bench, maybe.

I'm sure JHM and MTM would be bench flashing if they could. It is a risk to desolder the SMD eproms and replace. The TCU isn't cheap!
    I think there is a connection as you can VAG both engine and tranny through the OBD port. It's just not capable of communicating all the data?
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I think there is a connection as you can VAG both engine and tranny through the OBD port. It's just not capable of communicating all the data?
    Correct, you can access the TCU module via OBD, but not the hard data.

And on the topic of trans coolers, when a TC clutch fails, are you guys flushing out the cooler after the repair? I know on my other car (300ZX TT Auto) when the trans/TC clutch goes all that garbage ends up in the cooler and if you dont flush/replace the cooler you end up killing the trans/TC again when all the junk gets back in the system. Just a thought. I haven't looked closely at the ZF trans flow patten to know if this is an issue.

Additionally, a higher capacity or more efficient trans cooler is a must have an any modded auto.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

It's been said here not to ever change the fluid in these tranny, which goes against any and all logic. However, the fear is you dislodge stuff in the valve body that would otherwise never move, and create more issues down the road.
    2013 Audi S8