Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MTM tcu or Software flash?

I seem to remember that the us version was made to be "softer" than the euro tcu's. They didnt' want us to spill our coffee or something. I think this has also led to less tc failures in Europe. Just word on the street.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    What is the difference?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I'm pretty sure that is what it was too 4everRS. That is one of the reasons for the thinking that the MTM tune took the shifting a little firmer and more agressive than even the Euro software but I think the TCU hardware is the same, just the software inside so if you go MTM then your already a little better off that the stock Euro software.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Then he should be good, right?
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Well Mike from Hoppen said "In the states our TCU# is 4B0 927 156 FL and I believe that your TCU# is 4B0 927 156 FB"

Those are the right part #'s, but the difference just as in the ECU, Radio, etc... are software differences between Euro and N. America (In the Radio or RNS-E there are a few re-labeled buttons for different features).
    Roy, WA

This is what results If you attempt to put a European TCU in a US spec car. Been there, done that. The two are incompatible.

The Transmission selector display goes into Limp home mode.
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

The Euro TCU will not work with the U.S. ECU or Vice versa without the other being coded correctly. Elevens, are you sure that was a Euro TCU? The part # is for a U.S. TCU or was it just the chip that was changed?
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    The Euro TCU will not work with the U.S. ECU or Vice versa without the other being coded correctly. Elevens, are you sure that was a Euro TCU? The part # is for a U.S. TCU or was it just the chip that was changed?
    You got it hahnmgh63, It was a Custom Coded Euro TCU with an FL chip soldered in. But it was a no go..................
    Last edited by Elevens; January 20th, 2011 at 03:31.
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by bilko1 View Post
    Well i sent Hoppen an email and it turns out you USA guys have a different tcu than us UK guys so it's a no go
    I'm glad you sent the email to Hoppen. Reply is clear, I guess it is same for rest of EU.

On the other hand .......
    Are these MTM tcu chips protected / made for individual cars? I ask as on the Hoppen website they ask for part of the chassis number. I have been offered an MTM tcu chip here in the UK that came from Hoppen but want to make sure it's not locked to a certain car / transmission.
    What is the reason why the "UK" Hoppen chip is sold, is it because it did not work or what?????

Quote Originally Posted by micdee View Post
    I'm glad you sent the email to Hoppen. Reply is clear, I guess it is same for rest of EU.

On the other hand .......

What is the reason why the "UK" Hoppen chip is sold, is it because it did not work or what?????
    Not sure what you mean but Europe has a different tcu to USA so this is why Hoppen US chip will not work in EU tcu's

Uhmm, well you mentioned a few posts ago that you were offered a HOPPEN TCU CHIP in the UK. So I presume this Hoppen chip is already in the UK and I was wondering if this chip had been used by the person offering the TCU chip and what the reason is why he/she wants to sell this TCU chip.

Quote Originally Posted by micdee View Post
    Uhmm, well you mentioned a few posts ago that you were offered a HOPPEN TCU CHIP in the UK. So I presume this Hoppen chip is already in the UK and I was wondering if this chip had been used by the person offering the TCU chip and what the reason is why he/she wants to sell this TCU chip.
    The chip is unused and was bought by the person while he was in the USA.

The chip is unused and was bought by the person while he was in the USA.
    So long as the chip is placed in the TCU from your car, you should be fine. Simple as that....................

Quote Originally Posted by Elevens View Post
    So long as the chip is placed in the TCU from your car, you should be fine. Simple as that....................
    But Hoppen said it won't work as the tcu's are different in USA.

But Hoppen said it won't work as the tcu's are different in USA.
    Now that I think about it, he wanted my VIN#, which would means that the software is somehow unique to the cars VIN#. So maybe its not as simple as that. What I do know is that a custom chip soldered into either a EURO or US TCU will work, but this Tune requires no VIN#. So maybe for security reasons MTM want's a VIN.

Or the MTM TCU software that is used by Hoppen may only be sold to US_spec/sold_cars. That way MTM can manage the use of the TCU software. As far as I know it is not possible in Europe to buy the MTM tuned TCU software seperately from the ECU tuned software.

I emailed Hoppen directly and will post the reply later today.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

MTM requires a vin only for their own records. A Euro tcu EE-Prom is not compatible with a US tcu, and vice versa, I've tried.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's