Thread: RS5: Standard or Dynamic Suspension (DRC)

RS5: Standard or Dynamic Suspension (DRC)

We had some discussion around this about six months ago and I recall qisha mentioning that dynamlic suspension 'option on some countries and standrard as in UK) is there to provide basically more confort when needed, but performancewise the best setup is actually the standard suspension.

Can someone (qisha ?) confirm this. As a guy on a french forum has tried both and he believes the dynamic suspension option when in dynamlic mode activated is actually harder then standard suspension.

Could that mean that final setups for the dynamic suspension have been modified.

Personally it does not matter to me as I already removed the OEM suspension for a KW V3 lowered by 1.25 inches (3cm).

but i have some customers asking me for recommendations and I want ot be sure to say the right things (audi dealers d'ont really know of say they do but actualy push for the option just to increase final price....)

thanks
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

I've tried both, and i don't remember standard suspension to be as hard as the dynamic configuration of my 2MC.

Such hard that even when i'm alone in the car, i set up the system in the confort mode for this item.

Looks like a shaker mode in dynamic.

Dear Ritchy,

the standard Bilstein Suspension is well balanced and suits most of the customers needs. However there are quite a few advantages the Sport Suspension Plus has to offer. First there are three different damping characteristic to choose via MMI. "Comfort" is great option for daily use, notably with the 20" Wheel Option. The "Auto" characteristic is almost identical to the regular Suspension in terms of ride feedback (DRC apart). "Dynamic" is the option you may want to choose for aggressive driving, like Track use. I would admit the "Dynamic" characteristic is too firm for freeway use, in my eyes, as well as City cruising. In this mode the chassis has almost no lateral tilting.

I would recommend the Plus option for all customers that are in need to have a convenient damp mode choice (Roads, "age" etc.) and/or are willing to benefit from the DRC system, as this feature gives -design related- most drivers a better overall driving experience/advantage.

Qisha

Thanks Qisha for those informations.

Happy new year to everyone !

Well, I have to agree with Qisha here, although bare in mind I never tested one with the basic suspension.

From my experience driving the car daily, I use it in "Comfort" mode 90 % of the time, and "Automatic" for the rest, mainly highway use. "Dynamic" is too hard for any use, except maybe for tracks....

So, for someone who is going to use this car on a daily basis, city driving, parking, bad roads with holes, etc, I would say getting the DRC is a must... basically because of the "comfort" mode, which helps to get a much smoother ride, even with the 20" wheels like I have.

I hope this helps.

I thought Audi wasnt going to ever send another car here that used DRC?

Rs5 coming stateside?

DRC? no ^%#£> way! You can keep that #^^%# over in Europe.

Now I'm sorry I even read about the RS5.

Mike

in most countries its an option so like me don't take it and you are fine with reliability over time
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

I took my RS5 with the Option DRC and its nice to feel the different settings , but 90% of the i use the MMI setting Comfort for Suspension .

Dynamik on Suspension is only needed on the Nürburgring or if i going faster then 200 KM/H on the Highway .

Coming back on that topic, as i decided to modify almost everything on my next RS5.

Does anyone know if settings of DRC has been modified on the RS5 FL? So much hard in "dynamic", i was 90% in "auto" and 10% in "comfort". I really wonder if i'm going once more with this extra, or delete it. Depends on Audi, either there is a (even minor) modification or not.

I want my new RS5 calibrated more "sport" than the previous one. Sport seats, ceramics brakes, 280km/h lim.....

I would certainly not waste my money in this DRC system for sure. but you might have no choice as in some countries it comes with the RS5 as a mandatory thing (like in UK). for sure dont' take the dynamic steering. i completely regret that option.... (it makes some turns feel really weird. you think your are sliding when you are not....)
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

Hi Youry.

DRC is no more a mandatory, even in UK:

RS 5 Product Improvement revealed

AU0084-12

Audi has revealed the latest generation of the exciting, dynamic RS 5 Coupe. Enhancing the car’s already sporty credentials with the latest look of the A5 range, the new design of the Audi RS 5 Coupe is more sharply defined and stylish than its predecessor.

Loaded with technological excellence, it couples a powerful 4.2-litre V8 FSI engine with the latest evolution of the world famous quattro all-wheel-drive system. Built by Audi´s high performance engineering and styling subsidiary, quattro gmbH, at a special facility in Neckarsulm, the RS 5 is engineered with precision to provide unparalleled handling and driving excitement. With improvements in fuel consumption and CO2 while maintaining the impressively high handling characteristics, customers should clearly see and feel the differences over the outgoing model.

Timeline

Price and specification guides: W/c 13 February 2012

Open for ordering: W/c 13 February 2012

Start of production: Week 11, 2012

UK market introduction: April 2012

Exterior design highlights – key changes

· New Audi single-frame grille with bevelled upper corners - featuring a diamond-design grille in high-gloss anthracite with frame in matt aluminium look

· New bumpers with large air inlets at the front and diffuser insert at the rear; the modified, sharper contours give them an even more dynamic appearance

· LED strip daytime running lights

· Sharper edges accentuate the 3D look so that the RS 5 looks even lower and wider when viewed from the front

· New LED rear lights featuring continuous light strips

· New standard ’10-spoke’ design 19-inch alloy wheels

Interior design highlights – key changes

· New RS three-spoke design, flat-bottomed steering wheel with aluminium-look shift paddles and RS 5 emblem; covered in perforated leather with contrasting stitching in rock grey as standard

· Fine Nappa leather seats with piping and RS logo embossing

· New chrome trim for:

o Air conditioning control panel
    o MMI control unit
    o Caps for electric window switches
    o CD slot for Concert/Symphony radio
    o Mirror adjustment switches

New option highlights

· Adaptive cruise control with breaking guard as per rest of A5 range (available from build week 22)

· New optional inlays

Specification changes

As with the rest of the A5 range, electromechanical steering has been introduced as standard to RS 5, offering a higher degree of steering comfort at lower speeds and supporting a reduction in CO2 emissions down to 246g/km.

Dynamic Ride Control has been removed as standard specification on the RS 5 and will instead be offered as an optional extra at £1,710.

The following specification will be added to the RS 5 Product Improvement as standard:

· Bluetooth

· Cruise control

· DVD navigation

· Audi Music Interface

All other specification remains the same.

New optional Sport package

We have created a new package to allow customers to further enhance the already sporty features of the RS 5 and add Dynamic Ride Control to their vehicle at excellent customer value.

The new Sport package will be priced at £2,250 RRP and will include:

· Dynamic Ride Control (2MC)

· 20-inch rotor design titanium-look alloys (PQU)

· Sports exhaust (0P6)

· Dynamic steering (1N7)

This represents a customer saving of £2,915 or 56 per cent.

Pricing

The RRP including VAT for the RS 5 Product Improvement remains at £57,290 with an OTR of £58,725.

Existing orders

Any unconfirmed network orders will be converted to the new MY12 RS 5. Centres will be contacted where existing specification cannot be carried over exactly.

For sure, i'm not going to take the dynamic steering, told as to be a none-sense system by everyone who tried it.

I want the car simple and sporty. Just wondering about the sport seats. I know they are adjustable, but is it the case around the back/shoulder. I've just tried them on a demo car this morning, not very confortable. And no time to check all functions. Didn't feel any difference when using the 2 electric buttons on the side, even engine on.

Any improvement on those seats on the FL ? any size adjust by Audi exclusive ?

By the way, whatever i'm going to choose, is it easy to modify the grey seam (stone grey?) on the seats by red one ? I mean without costing 7000 euros.....I know Youry you are an expert on that. Easy for the knob/steering, as i'm already taking an exclusive leather, and i know that possible.

what do you mean by the sport seats. they arre the same as previous one no? you either have the ugle confort one, the sport "S" seats and the bucket ones. no seez adjustements for sure.

if you change any thing on the seats that is about 4000-4500 EUR from memory. and you chnage the leather type the stitching etc.... now if you change only stiching or all leather its the same for audi.... it has to go through audi exclusive departement. changing afterwards means changing the leather too as you can't fall in the same holes.... if would still cost you less but I know how perfection is important for you. and when I accept a perfection level to 99.5% (most people probably 98) your are probably more arount 99.9 or higher so in your case you can only go with audi exclusive option. my interior (which was not acceted to be done by audi exclusive) is really for me of top quality, but still its not 100% perfect. while costing about 50% of the price (incl the alcantara roofing...) . but in my case anyway i had no other option since Audi refused to do the alcantara bit...
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

Thanks for infos Youry....i'll check as soon as i can order in France.

For the seats, i of course meant buckets.

oh ok..... surpised as you alwyas said you would not go down that route...... but then for sure buckets won't be any different. having said that in their widest opening I fit so you fit too (my booty being bigger I think). but its manual seats (only bottom and top opneing closing, nothing else all reast is manual.... but also a much lighter seat....
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com